Screen turns back on

snosamie6

Reaction score
Often when I hit the power button to turn off the screen, it turns off then pops back on. The lock screen shows. It does this without a case and with a case. Could the power button be sticking a tad? Or does anyone think it might be a software issue? It doesn't matter what app I'm in when I hit the button.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah mine does that too sometimes, there was another thread around here about it. Some said it was a sensitive power button, others say it is software related. Me I am hoping for software since we "should" be getting an update soon.

fauxreall

Reaction score
Ive had that happen, or when press it to turn it off and hit one of the bottom screen buttons before it turns off screen, itll cause it to turn back on. That's been annoying too.

Reaction score
sorry for bringing this back from the dead, but i have this exact issue. seems like not much was solved in the 3 posts made here, but has there been any progress made since? do we know if this is a hardware or software issue? anyone continuing to have this problem?

pinoy_92

Reaction score
are you using a case? if so, take it off and see if there is a difference. otherwise put the phone with the screen off on a flat surface and wait for 5 minutes. if the screen turns on, it could be a software problem.

Reaction score
nope no case. should have mentioned that i don't have pocket detection turned on or anything like that either. i make sure not to hit the soft keys or volume buttons. and this is on a razr maxx which i got a week ago. it's sporadic but has happened enough times to make me wait a second every time i lock the phone to make sure it doesn't come back on.

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
The problem I have is the opposite. When I push the power button to wake up the phone, after like 1 second, or faster than I can unlock the phone, screen turns off and have to start over. Figured it might have something to do with widget locker. It happens sporadically, so not totally annoying.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Reaction score
The problem I have is the opposite. When I push the power button to wake up the phone, after like 1 second, or faster than I can unlock the phone, screen turns off and have to start over. Figured it might have something to do with widget locker. It happens sporadically, so not totally annoying.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

actually that is true for me as well. it can happen both ways. wish there was a way to incorporate a delay before the unintended input is detected.

MsVictoriaLynn

Reaction score
I've had issues with this as well but I've also had issues with when I unlock the screen it (the screen) won't allow me to do anything sometimes it won't unlock at all I have to press the power button 2 or 3 times for it to let me even unlock it.
Is this normal?

~!~Sent from my Hamburger Phone a.k.a. Razr~!~

Reaction score
I've had issues with this as well but I've also had issues with when I unlock the screen it (the screen) won't allow me to do anything sometimes it won't unlock at all I have to press the power button 2 or 3 times for it to let me even unlock it.
Is this normal?

~!~Sent from my Hamburger Phone a.k.a. Razr~!~

i'd say that's not normal. i mean these phones should be giving us a smooth experience nearly all the time...right? for 300 bucks i wouldn't expect to see anything other than a stutter a couple of times a day that goes away in a matter of a second or two when multitasking. i guess that's tolerable. maybe my expectations are too high.

p47koji

Reaction score
The issue of the Droid turning back on by itself after you turn it off has been plaguing me for quite some time... Maybe a year? I never got around to complaining about it.

Regardless, it appears this condition may be plaguing a number of users and that there has been no fix?

ps It happens with or without being connected to a USB power supply, whether or not you slip it into a case, or just holding it being careful NOT to touch the screen or any other button...

Reaction score
i've realized that, while the screen does sometimes turn back on by itself without touching the screen or any buttons, the frequency at which i first saw this occur was related to how i wipe the screen down with my palm right after pushing the power button. at the time i thought i was giving it enough time to lock, and hence declared that i don't touch the screen when locking, but i guess that's what was happening. i give it an extra second before wiping it down now and it's been pretty good. i guess screen input is kept active for a second after locking.

however, i do still find the screen sometimes immediately turning back off when waking the phone, and i know that's not me.

mjweier

Reaction score
Finally found out why!

So I found the answer to this after 2 months of wondering.

When you hit the power button to lock the phone, it will turn back on if any part of your hands hits the front buttons (i.e. home, search, back). I found out the pad at the base of my thumb kept brushing up against the search button when I would hit the power button, and would turn the screen back on. When I would set it down being sure I didn't hit the buttons, it would never turn back on.

I tried this over 10 times to see if it was really the problem, and my theory was correct every time. Just have to set down the phone differently after I lock it!

Hope this helps someone out there, as it was driving me nuts for a couple months now.

pinoy_92

Reaction score
that only works if youre not using the stock lock screen.