ICS Updated, now Phone Screen doesn't turn back on in-call when removing from ear?

bettenco

Reaction score
Prior to upgrading my phone to ICS, when I would be on a call and removed the phone from my ear the phone screen would turn back on. Now it doesn't and when I hit the power button to manually turn the screen on sometimes it will just flicker on for a second and then go black. This only happens when I am on a call though, it's fine the other times.

Can anyone help with this? I couldn't find anything in the settings menu specific to the screen on/off during a call.

thanks,

keith

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to DF bettenco. You are right, the screen should turn back on when you take it away from your ear. I had this problem a while back with another phone (I think it was my dinc). It is annoying as all get out because you have no easy way to hang up on the call.

Try simple things first-have you tried restarting the phone? If that doesn't help, try going into the phone app in settings under "all" and clear cache. Try again, if no success, then try going back into app and do clear data (this may erase your call log, I'm not sure. But you may want to use a backup program to save your call log).

If it still persists, then a factory data reset may be in your future, which if you haven't done one since updating to ICS, I would highly recommend it anyway. Here is a guide that will help so you don't lose the important stuff you want to keep:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-help/219101-getting-most-success-upgrading-ics-gb.html

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

ToddClark

Reaction score
i just started a thread asking about this same thing (i didnt see this one prior to the thread).

My rezound is doing the same exact thing since i updated to ICS. I just did a factory reset on it since it was also working slow (ive had ICS on it for a few months now, and figured all the apps id installed and removed was probably causing the slowness, and now its back working fast again), but, its STILL doing the same issue the OP is complaining about.

I see no one has responded to this thread but one, is this not something other rezound users are experiencing since going to ICS????

Is there a fix?

OP
B

bettenco

Reaction score
still no dice after Factory Data Reset

So I did a FDR and used my backup for my apps and still the screen is not turning on. I read somewhere that if I took my case off my phone that might help as it may be the proximity sensor, still nuthin. I don't have a screenguard on the phone so that's not it. I am starting to think this a an ICS issue and am planninh on giving HTC a call to see what they sugges AMD if they are planning a fix.......sigh

acejavelin

Reaction score
So I did a FDR and used my backup for my apps and still the screen is not turning on. I read somewhere that if I took my case off my phone that might help as it may be the proximity sensor, still nuthin. I don't have a screenguard on the phone so that's not it. I am starting to think this a an ICS issue and am planninh on giving HTC a call to see what they sugges AMD if they are planning a fix.......sigh
It is not an issue caused by ICS, I have two Rezounds, one running the official 3.14.605.12 firmware and one on the 4.3.605.2 RUU, both of them pop on the screen within a second after moving the phone away form my head well on a call. I don't have a better answer for you, but if you call VZW tech support, I am betting they will want to send you a CLNR, hopefully I am wrong though.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
CLNR, whats that?

Certified Like New Replacement.

Also before trading in, I would suggest running the latest ICS RUU and seeing if that corrects the problem. Lord knows how much code got mangled in the upgrade process.

mikeny

Reaction score
For now under accessibility options I would check the box that allows to allow you to hang up the phone with the power button. It's quick and convenient.

acejavelin

Reaction score
The other thing you can do is double press power and unlock again, that seems to work everytime but is a little more cumbersome... it does let you get to the dial pad in a call though without hanging up.

tannins

Reaction score
acejavelin said:
It is not an issue caused by ICS, I have two Rezounds, one running the official 3.14.605.12 firmware and one on the 4.3.605.2 RUU, both of them pop on the screen within a second after moving the phone away form my head well on a call. I don't have a better answer for you, but if you call VZW tech support, I am betting they will want to send you a CLNR, hopefully I am wrong though.

I believe it is a problem caused by ics. My phone also did this flawlessly before and now doesn't work right since update to ics. I have done one factory reset and I'm about to do another.

acejavelin

Reaction score
I believe it is a problem caused by ics. My phone also did this flawlessly before and now doesn't work right since update to ics. I have done one factory reset and I'm about to do another.
You should then consider reflashing the update, both the 3.14.605.12 and 4.3.605.2 versions are available in an RUU format, perhaps something didn't take properly in the update process.

What I can tell you is that the firmware itself (official ICS and Global RUU) does not break this functionality, it functions flawlessly on both of my devices, and I tried a co-workers Rezound today that was on the official OTA update and it works as expected too.

carl2222zz

Reaction score
I have this exact same problem. Very frustrating. I can get the screen to come back on, but only by pressing the top button, then the screen turns on (but now locked) have to slide the ring to unlock. It is a major pain. And if you put the phone back to your ear and down again, same issue repeats. Only since the ICS update.

ToddClark

Reaction score
so i guess since there isnt anymore discussion on this, its not a problem for enough folks that its been addressed anymore?

mine is STILL doing this and it just pisses me off more everytime it happens, which is EVERYtime i use the damn phone.

acejavelin

Reaction score
so i guess since there isnt anymore discussion on this, its not a problem for enough folks that its been addressed anymore?

mine is STILL doing this and it just pisses me off more everytime it happens, which is EVERYtime i use the damn phone.
This is not a widespread issue and is a hardware thing... not related to ICS. Have you tried the various procedures discussed in this thread such as a factory reset, screen protector issues, case issues, compressed air, etc.