Samsung's New Attempt at Craftiness is to Patent a Phone That Looks Like an iPhone

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-iphone-patent.png

We aren't sure what to make of this new patent from Samsung. We can't figure out if they think they are being clever, or if they are just hoping it will somehow sneak under the radar at the patent office. Ultimately, it could end up being a colossal waste of time and resources for both the patent office and Samsung.

As you can see from the pic above, Samsung is trying to patent a new smartphone design, but there isn't actually anything "new" about the design at all. In fact, it's obviously a facsimile of the iPhone. We can clearly see the sharper and more defined edges. The round home button is also a dead giveaway. If you stuck this into an Apple story, no one would think twice about it being an old Apple patent for their earlier generation iPhones.

To be clear, Samsung actually applied for a number of new patents on several devices. This one in particular stood out for its obvious chicanery.

Sound off with your thoughts on this baffling move by Samsung.

Source: BGR

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
SMH, sometimes I just wonder what Samsung is doing anymore. I use to have a lot of respect for the company but anymore they're almost becoming a parody of themselves.

on the move..

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Being that they just went through a lengthy court battle over design issues, perhaps they are simply trying to cover their butts by applyng for this (and some of the other) recent patents? If so, I think it's a smart move on their part. It's painfully clear that Apple will go after anyone who makes a part or device that even remotely resembles anything they have already made, or have a patent on that has yet to see the light of day.
I wouldn't be surprised to see more of these popping up in the very near future. Nothing wrong with taking a proactive approach. (If that's whats really going on here)

tap'n on my S5

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Looks more like the HTC Droid Incredible to me, especially with that ear speaker grill. Whatever, the fact that Apple can patent a round button on the front screen is absolutely baffling to me, anyways. I'd much rather have a rounded button instead of the more rectangular home button of the Galaxy S phones :\

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Samsung seems to love this place

billboard-jackson_rdax_100.jpg

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think it's comical that a rectangle with a single button is "art" in the first place. Patents are supposed to be non-obvious. Nothing particularly unique or creative about this design.

And I hate a single button. If you're going to have a hardware button, put at least 2 or 3 on there with simple functionality insteaad of forcing me to learn odd sequences of presses and gestures.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I think it's comical that a rectangle with a single button is "art" in the first place. Patents are supposed to be non-obvious. Nothing particularly unique or creative about this design.

And I hate a single button. If you're going to have a hardware button, put at least 2 or 3 on there with simple functionality insteaad of forcing me to learn odd sequences of presses and gestures.

Well, I would assume it to have the back and menu buttons that the other Galaxy devices have

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I like the look of the round button. it just takes up too much real estate. I prefer the tap on instead.

D

Divergent

Samsung do the bad things.Vifocal provides much informations about smartphone.
You posts ads for that site in other posts and i have clicked one time on them to test where i am going to be redirected.
You was refering in that post to the Galaxy Alpha but the only thing what i saw on the link were chinese crap advertisements.
You can better stop with posting this