Samsung Patented 'Vein-Pattern' Recognition Technology

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung-vascular-scanner-patent-1.jpg

Here's a novel idea for a smartwatch. Samsung has a new patent which has the potential to replace fingerprint scanners as the security authentication of choice on smartwatches. The new tech idea is a contactless, vein-pattern recognition technology called a vascular scanner.

The tech basically has a sensor/scanner that memorizes the vein pattern on the back of your hand. While you wear the device, it projects a light source scanning area outward over your hand (as shown in the images above and below). A side-mounted camera then analyzes the pattern automatically unlocking the device for you.

Samsung-vascular-scanner-patent-2.jpg

Believe it or not, this technology is actually not that new. The FBI, CIA and some hospitals across the country already use vascular scanners for verification. Some security experts believe it is more secure than fingerprint scanners. The reason for this is because it actually offers more data points for verification than finger scanners. Also, because it is a contactless biometric system, skin conditions won't affect the reading.

Will we see this tech come about anytime soon? The verdict is out on that one. More than likely it is simply something Sammy is adding to their treasure horde of patents, and won't actually be developed for quite some time.

Source: SamMobile

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Wow, the Minority Report type tech is upon us! Personally I think it'll arrive much sooner than we think. With manufacturers running out of truly significant ideas on how to "one up" their competitors, I think tech like this will arrive within the next couple years. Unless of course smartwatch sales really start to decline.
Next stop, chip implants!

S5 tap'n

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Wow, the Minority Report type tech is upon us! Personally I think it'll arrive much sooner than we think. With manufacturers running out of truly significant ideas on how to "one up" their competitors, I think tech like this will arrive within the next couple years. Unless of course smartwatch sales really start to decline.

S5 tap'n
Cool tech, say no to chip implants...

Chimp implants have already occurred to members on this site...

Reactions: cr6

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

S5 tap'n
Yeah smart watches have not evolved like we thought. I'm tempted to suggest Google need to allow manufacturers to skin it, but tablets have hit a slump as well. Smartphones killed the watch industry like phablets killed the (android) tablet industry. You will always have a few tablets from year to year for the few that use them like you will always have a few watches. But the thought of the smartwatch blowing up in the tech industry similar to the smartphone was too presumptuous. The people who wear watches may gravitate to the tech, but those who don't will continue using the clock on their phones.

Another thought: I don't think they are marketing the smart watch to the right market. People who work in an office environment will be fine. The people who this should be marketed to are the blue collared workers who will get disciplined for being on their phones or who have their hands covered in grease, food, dirt, grime, etc. Those are the people who would benefit most from the tech. And those people will either have gloves on or be covered in it (what ever "it" is) to where the tech in the op may be useless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah smart watches have not evolved like we thought. I'm tempted to suggest Google need to allow manufacturers to skin it, but tablets have hit a slump as well. Smartphones killed the watch industry like phablets killed the (android) tablet industry. You will always have a few tablets from year to year for the few that use them like you will always have a few watches. But the thought of the smartwatch blowing up in the tech industry similar to the smartphone was too presumptuous. The people who wear watches may gravitate to the tech, but those who don't will continue using the clock on their phones.

Another thought: I don't think they are marketing the smart watch to the right market. People who work in an office environment will be fine. The people who this should be marketed to are the blue collared workers who will get disciplined for being on their phones or who have their hands covered in grease, food, dirt, grime, etc. Those are the people who would benefit most from the tech. And those people will either have gloves on or be covered in it (what ever "it" is) to where the tech in the op may be useless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
I fit the reason for a smartwatch you described but I'd say the reason they are marketing to the wrong audience is because they market it almost none to anyone.
Outside of work I use my smartwatch more than my phone and that's partially because I got acclimated to it by not having my phone at work but a necessity to do tasks were still present. There are so many simple tasks many use their phones for that can be done on just about any smartwatch but people being sheep, someone needs to remind them they can do it.
The hardware is nowhere near ready for the tech in the op. Processors are too miniscule along with ram and battery for watches to go main stream security because of embedded data that needs protecting.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I could see something like this used in high security areas. In hospitals, tablets are already used a ton. Something like this could help keep them secure. Other than that, I don't think it'll happen much in normal life.

I'd rather my smart watch have a fingerprint scanner on it that will then communicate to my phone that it is a trusted device with the time in between fingerprint scans being set by the person.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Finger prints don't change according to physical exertion.. Blood vessels can..as bp goes up, if a person lifts and gets a good pump you can have significantly more veins rise to the surface..especially if the people supplement for vascularity and as competitors diet down for contests...I'm interested to see how this handles that..or if it does..

I've seen my own veins under a "vein light" which we did a short story on here at df...than I saw my arm under the same light and filter after doing a few 30 lbs curls..huge difference... That's why I'm interested to see how this handles that.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
What about when veins are affected by Dehydration? Too many times i've been in the hospital and they cant find my veins. It would be interesting to see this in action. I wouldnt mind various forms of security. Fingerprint, Retinal Scanner or Vascular. I want it all. Lol

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
What about when veins are affected by Dehydration? Too many times i've been in the hospital and they cant find my veins. It would be interesting to see this in action. I wouldnt mind various forms of security. Fingerprint, Retinal Scanner or Vascular. I want it all. Lol
Most definitely as with FP scanners if you can't make it work in so many tries the old pin will work...

And what about Vampires and zombies, no vein pressure / heartbeat, it's not going to work for them...