Samsung may opt for iPhone-styled Home button to improve fingerprint scanning!

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Two Samsung patents have been discovered which show that the company may be looking at making a change to the fingerprint scanning on its smartphones. The first patent details the use of an iPhone-styled round Home button under which the fingerprint scanner will be placed. That’s exactly how it has been ever since fingerprint scanning came to the iPhone. Since the company has long been accused of copying Apple even though it has patented such a solution it may be unlikely for Samsung to replace the oblong Home button on its handsets with one that’s clearly synonymous with the iPhone, despite the fact that it’s not technically illegal for Samsung to opt for this solution.

The second patent points to a solution that we’ve seen on several other Android handsets. It doesn’t put the fingerprint scanner under the Home button, the scanner is placed on the back of the device instead where there’s more space to install a larger sensor to improve fingerprint scanning. We must wait and see if Samsung does this or not..

Source

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd rather it be on the back personally.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
I love that Crapple added the ability to remove bloatware
<><

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well the second option Motorola could sue since it was on the atrix.

I'm voting for the iPhone looking button. At this point why not just go all the way. Even better would be to just beat Apple to the punch. I want Samsung to hold an unboxing event on the same day Apple have their iPhone 7 event. Do it at a venue across the street or out in the parking lot of the Apple event. And like 15 mins before Apple is to show the reveal just announce and show a space black note device with the Apple home button and matching space black Samsung watch with gestures. Then announce it is available for purchase today. Just straight up McDowell Apple.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't see a need for the fingerprint button to change. I have absolutely zero issues with it since 6.0 and had very few with 5.0. It was the S5 and Note 4 swiping downward that was a pain. Of they were to change it, I'd prefer it to stay on the front and make the home button a little more round. I know some people do have issues with the oblong reader.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk