Samsung Officially Reveals First Global Market Tizen Smartphone: The Samsung Z

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung-Z_Gold_Dynamic.jpg

It looks like rumors of Samsung eventually testing the waters of the mobile world with globally viable Tizen smartphone were true. Samsung just officially announced the Samsung Z, which has some pretty decent specs but uses Tizen instead of Android.

Here's a breakdown of specs:

• 4.8-inch 720p HD Super AMOLED touchscreen
  • 8 MP rear camera with LED flash
  • 2.1 MP front camera
  • 2.3 GHz quad-core processor (either the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 or the Snapdragon 801 - unspecified at this time)
  • 2 GB of RAM
  • 16 GB of internal storage
  • A microSD card support
  • 150 Mbps 4G LTE
  • Wi-Fi 802.11n, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS, NFC, IR remote sensor
  • 2,600 mAh battery
  • Tizen 2.2.1
  • Dimensions = 138.2×69.8×8.5 mm
  • Weighs = 136 grams
  • Offered in black or gold with faux leather back like the Galaxy Note 3
The phone will initially be offered in Russia during the third quarter of this year (July-September), and other markets will get it afterwards.

Could this be proof of Samsung planning to eventually break away from Google, or is this simply more of their typical "hedging their bets" MO?

CBMGGM

Reaction score
I'm a bit indifferent about Samsung's move to Tizen. My recent experiences with the Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S4 & 5 and Sammy's direction of totally locking their phones, adding Knox, too much bloatware has left a sour taste in my mouth. My next smartphone will definitely not be Samsung. Motorola, LG, & HTC just to name a few are going in the right direction for user friendly phones.

swc2001

Reaction score
I'm a bit indifferent about Samsung's move to Tizen. My recent experiences with the Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S4 & 5 and Sammy's direction of totally locking their phones, adding Knox, too much bloatware has left a sour taste in my mouth. My next smartphone will definitely not be Samsung. Motorola, LG, & HTC just to name a few are going in the right direction for user friendly phones.

Agreed Whole Heartedly!!!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

Though I loved my Note 3, I dropped it for an M8. Samsung is going in a bad direction for my taste. They think they can survive just fine with this but I don't think they can.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Though I loved my Note 3, I dropped it for an M8. Samsung is going in a bad direction for my taste. They think they can survive just fine with this but I don't think they can.

Won't be buying another Samsung phone.
Tizen is just another Linux/Unix based OS; they just developed or stole and interface to go on top.

I'm not interested and like a previous poster said, and will be going with a more customer friendly vendor for my next phone.