1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Samsung to Launch Galaxy Gear 2 and Galaxy Gear 2 Neo with Tizen OS

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Feb 24, 2014.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Samsung is making waves today even before their big flagship Galaxy S5 announcement at 1PM CT. In fact, it's possible we might be seeing Samsung's first big move away from Google's Android OS. Samsung just officially announced the Galaxy Gear 2 and Galaxy Gear 2 Neo wearable smartwatch devices. The most surprising think about these devices isn't the hardware; it's the software. There's no Android to be found on either of these devices. They are both powered by Samsung's own in-house developed Tizen OS.

Just as before, the Galaxy Gear 2 Neo is simply a lower specced version of the Galaxy Gear 2. Here's the full press release and a spec-list:

Galaxy Gear 2 and Galaxy Gear 2 Neo spec-list:
  2. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

It could be a very double edge sword. It may help introduct Tizen to the public but also may turn away people thinking it won't work with Android.
  3. akhenax

akhenax Well-Known Member

Could Samsung create an OS specifically for their devices, and create a Samsung only ecosystem? I think not. If Windows 8 is having issues with getting developer support, I see Tizen doomed for failure right off the bat.
  4. dgstorm

I tend to agree akhenax. Certainly a few years down the road it's possible that Samsung could develop enough of an ecosystem to start competing against Windows, iOS and Android directly, but the numbers are stacked against them. Furthermore, if they start competing with Android then they are also competing with themselves because they have become "the face" of Android.

I think that Tizen is simply their "back-up" strategy with long-term potential depending on how things go in the future.
  5. dgstorm

I tend to agree akhenax. Certainly a few years down the road it's possible that Samsung could develop enough of an ecosystem to start competing against Windows, iOS and Android directly, but the numbers are stacked against them. Furthermore, if they start competing with Android then they are also competing with themselves because they have become "the face" of Android.

I think that Tizen is simply their "back-up" strategy with long-term potential depending on how things go in the future.
  6. Preach2k

Preach2k DF News Team Premium Member

Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    I will breakdown and buy one when they make a steel one like Pebble!!! I might just get Pebble anyway.