Samsung Galaxy S4 Dev Edition hitting Verizon and AT&T

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
dev_s4.png

This next bit of news will come as a huge surprise to Verizon Wireless customers. Samsung has announced that it will be releasing their Galaxy S4 Developer Edition smartphone on both Verizon Wireless and AT&T. Yes you read that right. Verizon Wireless is actually going to allow a bootloader unlocked Samsung Galaxy S4 on their network. Keep in mind though that these phone will not come subsidized, so customers will be paying full retail for the handset. The handset will be available with 16GB of onboard memory and in one color (Black Mist.) There is no official word on release dates or how these handsets will be offered, but that info should be hitting the web sometime soon.

Anyone going to pull the trigger when this handset is released?

Source: Samsung/Samsung

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Bought the HD developer edition, and this announcement sealed the deal for me. I will be getting one when its released. (Verizon.)

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Who wants to bet me that the "regular" Galaxy S4 we have now will get unlocked and have AOSP running on it before this dev edition even launches? :cool-b:

djsiva

Reaction score
Shelved my Note 2 today when I got the S4. All the dev edition means is that developers will have a more stable base from which to work and build roms for my regular S4. :)

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am looking into buying one full retail anyway I will wait around

Sent from my razr maxx

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Who wants to bet me that the "regular" Galaxy S4 we have now will get unlocked and have AOSP running on it before this dev edition even launches? :cool-b:
I will :) Gentlemen's bet.... :big smile:

I_think_the handset will be available real soon, as in within a week

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Dealio Wicked :big smile:

Damn, just saw you added "I_think_the handset will be available real soon, as in within a week"

looks like I'm gonna lose. I better send out a bunch of donations to some devs to get to crackin... :blink:

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Damn, just saw you added "I_think_the handset will be available real soon, as in within a week"

looks like I'm gonna lose. I better send out a bunch of donations to some devs to get to crackin... :blink:
hahahah...yeah but that is just a wild guess based off of the handset showing up on Sammy's site. I could be totally wrong and wayyyyyyyy off target

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Funny thing just happened. I was inside the Verizon store to buy the S4 outright and was told I had to wait ~20 minutes while they helped others. Okay, I started going over the display model when - lo and behold - I come across this post on the forum. Walked right up and told them they could scratch my name from the line, cause I'm gonna get the DE when it's released. Give me some S4 functionality without the bloat. Yeah baby!!!!!!!:icon_ lala:

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I'm in. How much will it be? Did they say how much? Any guesses?

My guess $700-$750 on Verizon.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Lol nice save.

That's my point. I'll need to pay outright for it as well, might as well wait for the developer edition instead of wondering when/if the boot loader unlock will come out or if it will get patched.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I'm in. How much will it be? Did they say how much? Any guesses?

My guess $700-$750 on Verizon.

The RAZR HD developer was $600 before tax so I don't think you're too far off.

WestOkid

Reaction score
This will go for around $650 just like the Google edition S4. That brings me to another question. I can understand buying the VZW version since that's the only choice you have if you want to use Verizon's network. That said, why on earth would anyone buy an unlocked ATT version instead of the GSM pure Google edition from the play store? You mean there are people that want carrier branding and slow updates?