Verizon's Galaxy S3's CPU Relegated To Dual Core Duty?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
sgs3uaprof.jpeg

The user agent profile for what looks to be Verizon's version of the Samsung Galaxy S3 has been published. The UA Profile shows the device being powered by Qualcomm's Snapdragon S4 processor (Dual Core) and not Samsung's Quad-Core Exynos, which the company recently revealed to be present in the global version of the phone. Although there is no definitive proof that this handset going by model number SCH-I535 is in fact the SGS3, the specs and model number lean more towards this being the device than not. The device's SCH-I535 model number follows other Samsung product on VZW such as the Galaxy Nexus (SCH-I515), Droid Charge (SCH-I510), and the Galaxy S Fascinate (SCH-I500).

This should come as no surprise because early rumor suggested that this would be the case, but it still doesn't take the sting out of it. Does the decision to pass on the Quad Core Exynos in favor of the S4 Snapdragon deter anyone from purchasing this handset if it hits Verizon?

Via: Android Guys

Nedaroth

Reaction score
I do not see the point of a quad core for a cell phone to begin with but that's just me, but yes people will see this as a dumb down version for verizon.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Looks like Qualcomm has a stronghold on the LTE radio front. Qualcomm's LTE radios are properly working at the moment, Nvidia had LTE isssues also with their Tegra platform, and by the time Samsung and Nvidia have their LTE radios working Qualcomm will be introducing their quad core processors "later this year", but in real life everyday smartphone usage, quad core make no difference, and from some benchmarks "geek status" the S4 dual core chip out performs the Nvidia Quad core chip, but who really cares, most people want a nice sized smartphone that WORKS. What all the manufacturers should be working on is battery power on thier smartphones, all these smartphones today pretty much do the same thing, keep you connected with your outside world on the GO, see where I am going with this, on the GO, which means battery life.

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like Qualcomm has a stronghold on the LTE radio front. Qualcomm's LTE radios are properly working at the moment, Nvidia had LTE isssues also with their Tegra platform, and by the time Samsung and Nvidia have their LTE radios working Qualcomm will be introducing their quad core processors "later this year", but in real life everyday smartphone usage, quad core make no difference, and from some benchmarks "geek status" the S4 dual core chip out performs the Nvidia Quad core chip, but who really cares, most people want a nice sized smartphone that WORKS. What all the manufacturers should be working on is battery power on thier smartphones, all these smartphones today pretty much do the same thing, keep you connected with your outside world on the GO, see where I am going with this, on the GO, which means battery life.

Wow. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Dual core is more than enough for a phone. Battery life should be the main topic and now how we can improve benchmarks.

armoayjay

Reaction score
i know it seems unneeded but i can see the need for a quad core chip if the s3 could possibly has the ability to have the to dock with a laptop case such as the moto arix. who knows it could be a future accessory thru an ota update and the extra power would allow for a phone tablet idea...? kinda like asus padfone?

i may be a little too hopeful haha

personally i wish verizon would leave their noses out of this and allow the american consumer to have the best hardware available at an affordable level. who cares if it seems unnecessary, i think it would be better to buy the most advanced hardware just so it can stay current and up to date in a year or 2.

armeddroid

Reaction score
An article from The Verge claims that the dual core S4 Qualcomm processer found in the One X is better then the European quadcore cousin.
With that being said, having the S4 processor in the SGS3 may not be a loss but possibly a gain.

npro1464

Reaction score
Meh, I know it's mostly meaningless, but if the SGS3 has dual core I might just settle for a discounted Maxx when the time comes, probably buying it off of Craigslist. I made the mistake of buying outdated tech that just launched when I bought the Thunderbolt, I don't know if I want to do that again.

mikeyo1990

Reaction score
my take on the subject is that, yes the dual core chip is probably all that is needed. however why is it that american versions of phones, not just the sIII but also the recently released oneX on at&t, get the dumbed down version. I understand that it may be due to radio issues however, if that is the case dont try to sell the phone for a similar price as its european brother.

armeddroid

Reaction score
mikeyo1990 said:
my take on the subject is that, yes the dual core chip is probably all that is needed. however why is it that american versions of phones, not just the sIII but also the recently released oneX on at&t, get the dumbed down version. I understand that it may be due to radio issues however, if that is the case dont try to sell the phone for a similar price as its european brother.

I wondered the same thing about why bothering to sell it but then it would probably take years before the phone gets to us as an LTE Quadcore. Just got to wait it out.

osirhis

Reaction score
Do we really need quad core chips? It's not like we are running Modern Warfare 3 on our phones. It just seems like specs like quad core are way over the hump on the bell curve and well into the diminishing returns category.

Having a quad core is like saying how awesome your computer is because it can render something at 100+ fps when your eyes only process at less than 30 fps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let's not forget that one of the main reasons for this is the better / more efficient management of the LTE radio, which should, in turn, make battery life better, connectivity better, 4g/3g handoff better, etc. If I understand it correctly, it'll all be handled on the same chip now, as opposed to separately to date.

As stated already, having this chip should actually be a benefit, not a hindrance.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Wasn't there a samsung phone coming to vzw with an S4? Kind of mid level if I remember.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Like it was already mentioned...lte is the reason.

Its the reason why the exynos dual core chip isn't on too many or any lte phones.

That and if I read correctly, the fastest data speeds on the exynos is 21mbps. Which to me doesn't make sense, that's about what I max out at on my RAZR in good reception areas.

I have never once complained about it.