Samsung Galaxy S4 Dev Edition hitting Verizon and AT&T

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
You'd be surprised. Not everyone likes the vanilla experience of Google. We call it bloat and undesirable, but many, dare I say most, like the shined up bells and whistles they get from Sense, Blur, etc... Not everyone likes to customize their experience from scratch.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
You'd be surprised. Not everyone likes the vanilla experience of Google. We call it bloat and undesirable, but many, dare I say most, like the shined up bells and whistles they get from Sense, Blur, etc... Not everyone likes to customize their experience from scratch.

A phone like this covers their bases. The phone had very few detractors and the ones that were loudest simply didn't want TouchWiz. Now their loudest critics have nothing to gripe about. People who could care less about the UI have a version and people who want to change their UI have a version. I think this is how it should be anyway.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
so the updates for this phone would still have to go through samsung/verizon and not straight from google right?

WestOkid

Reaction score
so the updates for this phone would still have to go through samsung/verizon and not straight from google right?

Yes. Google doesn't do TouchWiz + Verizon bloat. This is simply an unlocked bootloader. You will also have to deal with the politics from time to time (see Galaxy Nexus Google Wallet).

Tapped from a Synergized VZW S3

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Unless something more compelling is announced before this drops, I'll likely be getting one for myself once I've put aside the cash to buy it outright.

equake

Reaction score
The other VZW developer editions namely S3 and Note II go for about 599-699 so I would suspect the S4 would be priced between these numbers. THis is good news in a way. Just noticed other news that GoPhone now has access to AT&T HSPA+/LTE networks for prepaid phones.

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Thanks for the post. Since I'm not a developer, having the possibility for that access would only lead to trouble. :icon_eek:

Its really the Google Edition that I'd like. Since big red isn't going to let that happen, I'll go out and make my purchase this evening. Hell, I ignore the bloatware and don't update 'em anyway. :happy3:

comk4ver

Reaction score
Well I guess it'll be nice to go back and forth between touchwiz and aosp. No subsidizing, why?