Samsung Galaxy Note 6 Rumor: IP68 Water Resistance & Iris Scanner

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-note-5-bottom.jpg

We have a couple of new Samsung Galaxy Note 6 rumors for you folks today. One will probably not be a surprise at all, while the other would be surprising if it turned out to be true.

First, the latest intel suggests the Galaxy Note 6 will include IP68 water resistance. Honestly, we would expect nothing less considering that Samsung outfitted their Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge with that capability. This one seems very likely to come to pass.

The second rumor seems like fan-fiction though. Supposedly, Samsung is ready to include an Iris Scanner as a security function in the new Galaxy Note 6. This is a rumor which has been floating around for a while in regards to future Samsung devices, and while we do suspect that eventually it will come true, this seems a bit too early for the still maturing technology. Here at HQ, we would be more surprised if this happened than if it turned out to be a bogus rumor.

As a bonus, here are the rumored specs of the Note 6:
  • 5.8-inch display (likely no less than 2560 x 1440 on an AMOLED panel)
  • 12MP OIS camera
  • 64GB and 128GB of storage
  • 6GB of RAM
What do you folks think of these Galaxy Note 6 rumors?

Here's our dedicated section for further discussion: Samsung Galaxy Note 6

Source: Phandroid

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If the rumors are true, this device is gonna be nuts. Haha! I'm keeping an eye on it for a friend. He's got the Note 3 now and looking to upgrade. I told him he'd be smart to hold off on upgrading to the 5 because the 6 is right around the corner. Even if he waits until the 6 comes out and still gets the 5, he'll save money. I'm betting he'll spring for the new one though.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
6GB of RAM - what a jump...we have technically seen only 1GB jumps in past with flagship devices...definitely looking forward to this phone :)...

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
6GB of RAM - what a jump...we have technically seen only 1GB jumps in past with flagship devices...definitely looking forward to this phone :)...

I read an article articulating why they figured it came with 6GB. They stated that there was a small set of rumors flying around that they are going to try to include as one of the add-ons is a laptop like docking stating, and it might need the extra RAM for that procedure if it comes. It's possible that because of their new manufacturing process it's just easier to do 6 as it was to do 4.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I'm getting this phone no matter what! Started with the Note 4 and then the Note 5. I actually just traded in my Note 5 for the LG G5 since I'm on T-Mobile's Jump On Demand, but I did it knowing I'll be getting the Note 6. Just wanted to try something with Marshmallow in the meantime since T-Mobile Note 5 Marshmallow update seems like it's nowhere in sight.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I feel it would be a let down to add the iris scanner when they still can't get a good functioning fingerprint scanner....

6GB of Ram seems overkill unless they are offering a "laptop" or tablet style dock... Either way as long as the phone is physically no larger than the Note 4 I will most likely get one.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I read an article articulating why they figured it came with 6GB. They stated that there was a small set of rumors flying around that they are going to try to include as one of the add-ons is a laptop like docking stating, and it might need the extra RAM for that procedure if it comes. It's possible that because of their new manufacturing process it's just easier to do 6 as it was to do 4.
I remember having the laptop docking station for my Droid Bionic. While I enjoyed it... using android as a desktop device wasn't very effective.

maybe they'll have some sort dual boot option... or marshmallow/android N will have a much better desktop style interface.

definitely keeping my eye on this..

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I feel it would be a let down to add the iris scanner when they still can't get a good functioning fingerprint scanner....

All the S7 reviews I've watched show that they've definitely nailed the fingerprint scanner, so IMO an iris scanner isn't out of the realm of possibilities. My 3 1/2 year old laptop came with facial recognition built in and it works really well. Granted, it can be a bit slow at times, (which is why I prefer using a password instead), but the technology is there. It's simply a matter of whether or not it's refined enough to where people will actually use it.

S5 tap'n

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
All the S7 reviews I've watched show that they've definitely nailed the fingerprint scanner, so IMO an iris scanner isn't out of the realm of possibilities. My 3 1/2 year old laptop came with facial recognition built in and it works really well. Granted, it can be a bit slow at times, (which is why I prefer using a password instead), but the technology is there. It's simply a matter of whether or not it's refined enough to where people will actually use it.

S5 tap'n
I don't have any desire to pay for iris scanning technology. I'll never use it. Now an app that will fetch me a cold beer from the fridge sign me up!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I don't have any desire to pay for iris scanning technology. I'll never use it. Now an app that will fetch me a cold beer from the fridge sign me up!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
They call that app a wife. I hear it's not cheap though. Might better get your own beer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I remember having the laptop docking station for my Droid Bionic. While I enjoyed it... using android as a desktop device wasn't very effective.

maybe they'll have some sort dual boot option... or marshmallow/android N will have a much better desktop style interface.

definitely keeping my eye on this..

Samsung Galaxy Note 6 To Be MEGA Update: Specs & Hardware Detailed

This is just one of the articles that shows that Samsung already owns patents for the docking station. So they are looking at possibly ChromeOS or Windows to be used when running in the dock. It's all just rumors, but it would prove to be interesting none the less if it does actually come to be.