Samsung Confirms Canadian Galaxy S3 Coming June 20th with 2GB of RAM & Dual-Core S4

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, May 31, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,599
    [​IMG]

If any of our Canadian readers were worried that their version of the Samsung Galaxy S III would be a little bit neutered in order to squeeze in LTE capabilities, they are both right and wrong. Samsung just issued a press release sharing that the Canadian version of the SGS3 will be coming on June 20th, and that it will feature the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Dual-Core processor instead of the Exynos Quad-Core; however, their press release also shared some bright news regarding the phone. Apparently, to make up for the processor deficit, the superphone will come with a whopping 2GB of RAM instead of the usual 1GB.

Interestingly, this matches up with previous rumors that the Japanese version of the phone would also come with the same processor and RAM configuration. What the Japanese and Canadian markets have in common is that they are both heavy LTE markets. This bodes well for the United States version also coming with 2GB of RAM. Here is the full press release:

Source: S3Forums
  2. tjk629

tjk629 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Out of curiosity, what countries have LTE?
  3. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +48
    I don't understand the need for 2GB RAM at this point...unless you are doing some crazy multi-tasking, it's useless. Our phones aren't replacing our computers yet, and unless they start being able to perform some of the RAM-intensive processes that computers are capable of, upgrading the RAM is nothing of significance imo.

I know that hardware generally comes along much quicker than software, but aren't we nearing the point of tapering off in the hardware department (aside from the battery)? Shouldn't we be focuing on running software to get the most out of our phones already extensive capabilities, rather than simply putting more hardware into something (that for 99.9% of the population wont' even notice in d2d operation)?
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  4. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +308
    I'm sorry, but the US is somehow the red headed stepchild of the phone world these days. I bet we'll get 1gb of RAM and the S4 processor, but with one core disabled.
  5. BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    am i missing something here?

i thought the point of the SGS3 was the quad-core processor. why bother getting it without the quad-core? its like buying a Ferrari with a 4 cylinder engine.....makes no sense!

B
  6. syndicate0017

Ratings:
    +48
    The Exynos isn't compatible with the LTE here for some reason.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  7. BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    still defeats the purpose. The SGS3 was supposed to be the first quad-core phone on the market. either release it now on 3G or wait till you work out the bugs for it to drop on LTE. dont pull the quad-core just to push the phone. it makes no sense. if they were that money hungry they would have kept the quad-core and released a 3G and LTE model.

B
  8. Adrozz07

Adrozz07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure that more ram is worse for battery.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  9. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +245
    Current Phone Model:
    GNote2
    Agreed, I never come close to using the full gig of ram that I have now. And look at the D3, it's not choking with only 512mb either..
  10. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +245
    Current Phone Model:
    GNote2
    I watched a video of the S4 vs a quad core cpu and there was virtually no difference.
  11. BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    if thats true than either the test wasnt intensive enough or the quad-core needs to go back to the drawing board. by definition the quad-core should have noticeable differences.

B
  12. syndicate0017

Ratings:
    +48
    Exactly. I can run 2GB on a computer just fine and it can do a lot more RAM-intensive stuff than I can on my phone. Like you, I have 1GB RAM and am never remotely close to filling it. Part of that is thanks to the way Android kills off background processes and manages memory, but I don't even notice it in my operation. I can seemlessly flip between many tasks. Until the software starts to catch up, these hardware improvements mean nothing.
  13. tjk629

tjk629 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Double post.
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  14. tjk629

tjk629 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +65
    RAM is super cheap right now. So, it's kind of a whatever move for Samsung. Ultimately, it's not that big of a deal.

You could still have an exynos CPU and LTE. The LTE radio just wouldn't be part of the SoC. So there would be bulk to the phone. Which as we know is a no no.
  15. sargentmajord

sargentmajord Silver Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Well think of it this way right now the dual core is car that can go 75 mph an the front side bus is the speed limit which i would assume is slower than the processor most smart phones are an the ram is the freeway. so yes we have a really fast car an yes we have a freeway that is wide enough to support more cars (ie. Data) with the 2 gigs of ram which i personally believe is the perfect amount for dual an quad cores way to much for single cores.
    But when we start getting into cpus of higher computing power or more cores which will probably be awhile before we see one in a smartphone then 2 gigs of ram comes into question what they need to focus on is the fronside bus speed no one really ever looks at that. they only look at the cpu an ram well people ur device is only as fast as ur front side bus.
    so unless u upgrade the frontside bus ur phone will only get incremental improvements as u upgrade the cpu an ram an can also be more prone to data congestion cuz unless u increase the frontside bus u have to keep adding ram to offset the congestion an u keep adding higher end cpus to increase the speed where the frontside bus is limiting u an causing the problem
Search tags for this page

galaxy s3 dual core battery life

s4 burst shot isn't working

tab with 2gb ram &dualcore processor