Samsung Confirms Canadian Galaxy S3 Coming June 20th with 2GB of RAM & Dual-Core S4

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
RAM is super cheap right now. So, it's kind of a whatever move for Samsung. Ultimately, it's not that big of a deal.

More RAM will also drain the battery quicker. Unused RAM is wasted RAM because RAM uses power whether in use or not in use. Battery life is one of the few things we still have to complain about with our smartphones. If people keep buying these phones simply because of the hardware improvements, battery life won't get addressed for some time.

socalsx

Reaction score
The S4 krait that will most likely be in the us sgs3 is right up there with the quad core. The s4 uses a15 cores whereas the exynos uses outdated a9 cores. Don't get me wrong, the exynos is a beast and will probably be a bit more future proof when apps/games become quad-core optimized, but overall the s4 is almost equal in terms of everything else. The a15 cores are also more efficient which probably allow it to use 2gig ram without sacrificing battery life.

npro1464

Reaction score
If you feel so stronly about the quad core thing, buy the Euro version of the GS3 and run it on AT&Ts HSPA+ network. Supposedly, you can even get away with running it off of an AT&T "medianet" data plan with HSPA+ speeds for only $15/month, which is an "unlimited" data plan for dumb phones. It might cost you about $700-800 however, but if youre forced to get this out of contract with Verizon bc of you want to keep unlimited data, the difference may only be $100 or so.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
still defeats the purpose. The SGS3 was supposed to be the first quad-core phone on the market. either release it now on 3G or wait till you work out the bugs for it to drop on LTE. dont pull the quad-core just to push the phone. it makes no sense. if they were that money hungry they would have kept the quad-core and released a 3G and LTE model.

B

No, that was the HTC One X. And that phone, just like the SIII, substituted a dual-core processor on the LTE versions of the phone.

Honestly, in regular, everyday use, you won't see a huge difference between the two processors. And to me, LTE is infinitely more important than a quad-core processor that will show no noticeable difference in 9 out of 10 tasks.

Last edited:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
More RAM will also drain the battery quicker. Unused RAM is wasted RAM because RAM uses power whether in use or not in use. Battery life is one of the few things we still have to complain about with our smartphones. If people keep buying these phones simply because of the hardware improvements, battery life won't get addressed for some time.

It's not going to be that drastic. Probably not even that noticeable at all.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
am i missing something here?

i thought the point of the SGS3 was the quad-core processor. why bother getting it without the quad-core? its like buying a Ferrari with a 4 cylinder engine.....makes no sense!

B
The S4 is a better chip and outperforms in most tasks over the Tegra quad core processor, plus Qualcomm and their LTE chips WORK, and later this year the S4 Krait will be quad core also, in all honesty, do you really need a quad core processor in a smartphone. And Exynox is not comapible with LTE, Samsung and Nvidia are a bit behind the LTE front.

Last edited:

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
the way i like to think about it is this. The dual core is souped up to do do 75mph and the quad core stock does 75mph. It makes me feel the dual core would definitely use more battery than the quad would. Plus you have more room on the quad for expanding or later on when people want to overclock it or whatever they do, than the dual core would. Dunno it just sucks why they cant just make one phone, one spec and done. If they knew quad wouldnt work with LTE they shoulda waited a bit and gone with the qualcom quad.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
the way i like to think about it is this. The dual core is souped up to do do 75mph and the quad core stock does 75mph. It makes me feel the dual core would definitely use more battery than the quad would. Plus you have more room on the quad for expanding or later on when people want to overclock it or whatever they do, than the dual core would. Dunno it just sucks why they cant just make one phone, one spec and done. If they knew quad wouldnt work with LTE they shoulda waited a bit and gone with the qualcom quad.

I agree with this perspective. It seems silly to me that NVIDIA and Samsung would release a chip that is incompatibile with the current big tech push (LTE) in the industry right now. They shoulda finished baking the cake before they served it for dessert. ;)

npro1464

Reaction score

They wanted to use their quad core processor and had the means to do it for 3g. Also, its not really about us in the states. The GS3 is already the most preordered phone with only dropping in Europe, with carriers being restrictive and a PITA companies are focusing on better international phones, and i dont blame them. Why should Samsung have to argue whether or not Lets Golf 2 should be removeable or not on their phone or if "VERIZON" should be slapped in the face of their phone? Focus on the international markets, the US is secondary.

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
Why should US be secondary? that sucks. Its been made that way cuz everyone (corporations) are so cheap now a days cant spend a extra penny on nothing. I had the samsung galaxy s3 4 days ago and i played with it, it was by far the best phone i have ever used. So smooth, touch was awsome i couldnt find any flaw in it. Only reason i sold it is because i have verizon and i couldnt use it when i want 4g lte, i had to use my girlfriends att sim. And that pisses me off because it was so smooth and perfect, i dont want to go to a dual core version of it for verizon which would most probably heat up all the time since the cpu is being pushed to its limits just to equal the quad core, plus all those voltage crap. Agh! lol. This phone after using it for 20 min did not even show signs of heating up

socalsx

Reaction score

This is not the case. The S4 will absolutely be more battery efficient due to core architecture (a15)..the exynos is an older carb V8 and the S4 is a turbo direct injected 4cylinder. They probably make close to the same power but the 4cylinder is more efficient and weighs less :p But I agree that quad-core will be a bit more future proof

npro1464

Reaction score
Why should US be secondary? that sucks. Its been made that way cuz everyone (corporations) are so cheap now a days cant spend a extra penny on nothing. I had the samsung galaxy s3 4 days ago and i played with it, it was by far the best phone i have ever used. So smooth, touch was awsome i couldnt find any flaw in it. Only reason i sold it is because i have verizon and i couldnt use it when i want 4g lte, i had to use my girlfriends att sim. And that pisses me off because it was so smooth and perfect, i dont want to go to a dual core version of it for verizon which would most probably heat up all the time since the cpu is being pushed to its limits just to equal the quad core, plus all those voltage crap. Agh! lol. This phone after using it for 20 min did not even show signs of heating up

Well you could have kept it and went on AT&T's network and gotten HSPA+. Honestly, I don't think we'll see much of a difference. I'm looking forward to this phone. If it drops here before unlimited data, I'll probably stay. If not, I'll weigh my options with Verizon vs. Sprint or go with a prepaid GSM.

52brandon

Reaction score
They shoulda finished baking the cake before they put the stripper inside. ;)
fixed

and agreed with that sentiment. I do like the idea of 2GB of RAM though. It may not make a big difference today, but that's because apps aren't developed with that even being an option

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
The S4 krait that will most likely be in the us sgs3 is right up there with the quad core. The s4 uses a15 cores whereas the exynos uses outdated a9 cores. Don't get me wrong, the exynos is a beast and will probably be a bit more future proof when apps/games become quad-core optimized, but overall the s4 is almost equal in terms of everything else. The a15 cores are also more efficient which probably allow it to use 2gig ram without sacrificing battery life.

ok see i didnt know that.

why use out dated cores? if there are better cores available why not just strap those in there?

I love that they named it Krait!! which phones care it?

No, that was the HTC One X. And that phone, just like the SIII, substituted a dual-core processor on the LTE versions of the phone.

Honestly, in regular, everyday use, you won't see a huge difference between the two processors. And to me, LTE is infinitely more important than a quad-core processor that will show no noticeable difference in 9 out of 10 tasks.

i always forget about HTC. I dont have much love for the phones but only because ive never had any luck with them.

B