Rumor: Samsung Dropping Tizen?

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
samsung-smartwatch.jpg

There have been a handful of rumors noting that Samsung will be switching its smartwatch software from Tizen to Google's Wear OS for its next gen watch. A new leak has added a little more creditability to that rumor.

According to trusted Twitter leaker @Evleaks (Evan Blass) Samsung employees have now been spotted wearing smartwatches that are running Wear OS software rather than Tizen.

Source: Evan Blass on Twitter

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
that is an interesting rumor. I have the Gear 2 with tizen and no problems. I really do not see the big deal with apps since the screen is just too small for most things so there goes the advantage the wear OS may have. as long as I get my notifications and able to read the time, I am happy

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I have actually been happy with Tizen on my S3 Frontier. I was put off by Tizen in the past but really wanted this watch. I wonder if that means they will potentially roll out Gear OS for the Older devices.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I have actually been happy with Tizen on my S3 Frontier. I was put off by Tizen in the past but really wanted this watch. I wonder if that means they will potentially roll out Gear OS for the Older devices.

I hope they don't. I am still relearning tizen after their last major update back in March :)

Last edited:

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Love my Gear Sport but it would be nice to have a watch that works with any texting app. I miss Textra.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Great news. I keep finding more and more handy apps on WearOS. Samsung was a non-starter for me with Tizen.

Although I'm not sure what else I would need my watch to do (that actually works, like measuring oxygen in the blood) that my Huawei Watch 2 doesn't already do.

The future of chip implants to monitor health would be more convenient synced to a watch, but a phone would generally work almost as well.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've never actually had much hands on with a Tizen watch, but I'm a fan of Wear OS. Samsung makes some great hardware, but I've never been interested in their proprietary software.

Count me among those who think this would be a great thing.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I've never actually had much hands on with a Tizen watch, but I'm a fan of Wear OS. Samsung makes some great hardware, but I've never been interested in their proprietary software.

Count me among those who think this would be a great thing.

unless you are into a lot of apps, it really does not make a difference if it is tizen or wear os.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
unless you are into a lot of apps, it really does not make a difference if it is tizen or wear os.

There are literally 2 apps I need - one for working out and one for my smart lock - and I'm almost certain neither is available on Tizen. And I'll use Android Pay occasionally. And I really like Watchmaker - got to design watchfaces that make me actually like and enjoy wearing my watch. So basically buying the Gear watches is not an option, at all.

Interesting that a tech giant with all its resources tried to compete with Google, and appears to finally be conceding defeat. But Google isn't a monopoly or anything like that.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I wonder if Wear OS has support for the click wheel on Gear watches? That thing is a staple- truly the most useful feature on a smart watch, I barely use the touch screen

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Wear OS has support for the click wheel on Gear watches? That thing is a staple- truly the most useful feature on a smart watch, I barely use the touch screen

I definitely like that feature. But TBH, I rarely need to use the touch screen to swipe or scroll. One button on my watch launches one app, and 4 hot spots on my watchface launch the 4 others I routinely use.

Basically I'm using my watch as a watch, with a couple "smart home" features and a few useful apps.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I do miss some of the apps of WearOS like the simple things like Dominos to order and track my Pizza. Yeah I know why. It is more of the Coolness factor. We are in an age of emerging tech that is finally getting to a point that we though Decades ago. Having a Smartwach now gives you that feel like Dick Tracy or Inspector Gadget from back in the where you were like that would be cool to make calls from your watch or see a video on it. I found the Lack of Apps to be the Only Negative for my Gear S3 Frontier over my old LG Urbane. I did however find the overall quality build better. Battery Life is about double and it is lower profile so it fits and feels like a Normal Watch. I love using Samsung Pay on it. Works better than on my phone. If they were to offer a WearOS switch I may be intrigued to switch back. I did not like that some of the Apps for Tizen I had to pay for that were free for WearOS. Thats my take so far. Ive had the S3 Frontier for about 4 Months now and I do love it overall.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Once my S1 died I lost all interest in Tizen as the screens on everything newer were too small to be useful for me. Same with watches using Wear.
I just purchased a Gear Fit Pro so I'm back using Tizen and I must say their store is an even bigger mess and the most useful apps I had on my S1 aren't available on models released afterward anyway, be it Ss or Fits.
Samsung hardware with AW software? If Samsung doesn't botch it up with bloatware that will be a very good thing.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I do miss some of the apps of WearOS like the simple things like Dominos to order and track my Pizza. Yeah I know why. It is more of the Coolness factor. We are in an age of emerging tech that is finally getting to a point that we though Decades ago. Having a Smartwach now gives you that feel like Dick Tracy or Inspector Gadget from back in the where you were like that would be cool to make calls from your watch or see a video on it. I found the Lack of Apps to be the Only Negative for my Gear S3 Frontier over my old LG Urbane. I did however find the overall quality build better. Battery Life is about double and it is lower profile so it fits and feels like a Normal Watch. I love using Samsung Pay on it. Works better than on my phone. If they were to offer a WearOS switch I may be intrigued to switch back. I did not like that some of the Apps for Tizen I had to pay for that were free for WearOS. Thats my take so far. Ive had the S3 Frontier for about 4 Months now and I do love it overall.
You can at least set up notifications for Dominoes on your Gear watch :) I get those to keep track of the status of my order.