[RUMOR] Next Huawei watch to run Tizen...?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
gsmarena_002.jpg
We haven't heard much from Huawei about new smartwatches since their original effort was announced at MWC 2015 and released thereafter, but a new report out of China may rekindle that flame in a strange way.

A daily paper, JoongAng Ilbo, is reporting that Huawei has been working with none other than Samsung, developer of Tizen, the open-source and Linux-based operating system to bring said OS to their next watch.

While proponents of keeping manufacturers from muddying android have applauded Google's efforts to control Android Wear more closely, Manufacturers feel there is a lack of hardware and software design flexibility with the OS. These criticisms are what lead Samsung to move to their Tizen software for the Gear S2, the success of which prompted a follow-up decision on the Gear S3.

Sounds logical, even if it's a bit disheartening to Android enthusiasts and Huawei watch fans, right? So why are we labeling this a rumor? According to Android Authority, a Samsung spokesperson has stated that "Samsung has not officially received any request for such collaboration from Huawei yet."

Though the word "yet" there may lead you to wonder if there will be collaboration soon or in the future, since Tizen is open-source like Android, a partnership between the two behemoth manufacturers wouldn't be required for Huawei to develop and release a Tizen-based smartwatch.

Source: Report: Huawei working on a Tizen OS smartwatch

Share your feelings on this possibility in the thread below.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
As a person that wants to get a Smartwatch I have been Avoiding Tizen OS. I want Android Wear. This would be one i will avoid. Maybe look at the older one.

Beardface

Reaction score
As a person that wants to get a Smartwatch I have been Avoiding Tizen OS. I want Android Wear. This would be one i will avoid. Maybe look at the older one.
Is Tizen really that bad? It should be compatible with most/all new phones out there, Apple, Android, and Samsung. Played around a bit with the Gear s2 and it didn't seem all that bad. Plus, Samsung is the first to really adopt that a smartwatch should first and foremost look like a watch, and turning the rotating bezel into a functioning thing was a very smart move.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
If im not mistaken Tizen OS cannot run Android Apps which can be a thing were you see less app development

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If im not mistaken Tizen OS cannot run Android Apps which can be a thing were you see less app development
Yes and no. I have a few apps I got the watch part on the Samsung Gear Store (Tizen) and its companion for the phone came from the Play Store (Android). Many of the Android communication apps, such as messages, email, etc that are embedded bloatware on Samsung phones work their butler part on Tizen watches. I have an older, non supported anymore, app called Gear Notification Extender on my phone from the Play Store that makes any notification I choose from my phone show up on my Gear S and adds more interactive abilities such as open keyboard to reply vs just a canned response and/dismiss. My Gear S can actually do more with Android apps than some Android Wear watches because of the extra radios and physical buttons onboard. AW 2.0 is supposed to change that when it releases though.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I'm getting closer to getting a S-watch, but wouldn't a Samsung Gear watch work very smooth with a Samsung phone, such as the Note, even smoother than another brand running Tizen?

Sent from my New Note 7

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm getting closer to getting a S-watch, but wouldn't a Samsung Gear watch work very smooth with a Samsung phone, such as the Note, even smoother than another brand running Tizen?

Sent from my New Note 7
I believe that would depend on the bloatware apps on the non Samsung watch.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><