[Rumor] Motorola May Release Up to 8 Devices This Year

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid-does-logo.png

Don't let that headline make you panic with deja vu of a spammy Motorola from the past. Although we have solid intel that Motorola is planning to release upwards of 8 devices by the end of this year, many/most of these will simply be sequels to existing devices like the Droid, Droid Maxx and more.

The gist of it is summed up in the following list of devices which Motorola is supposedly working to bring to market:
  • New Droid
  • New Droid Maxx
  • Droid Turbo
  • Moto S (could come in a 5.2-inch and a 5.9-inch model)
  • Refreshed Moto G
  • Moto X+1
  • Moto X Play (could be a 5.2-inch device)
  • Shamu (Nexus 6 or maybe the Moto S above)
Obviously it looks like Verizon will be getting a good percentage of these devices, since three of them are Droid variants. Of course, that does not preclude other carriers from getting versions of those "Droids." There is some small precedent for that with AT&T and a simulacrum of the RAZR series.

There's still more to this rumint. Supposedly, one of these Droids will have Star Wars branding. We are a bit skeptical of that since Star Wars VII isn't coming out until next year.

Finally, there is some speculation that the X Play will be a Mini Moto S. Alternatively, it could be a backup device if one of the others fails to catch fire with consumers. All of this intel is a bit strange and a bit much to chew on to say the least...

We aren't sure what to make of this big cache of rumors from the Motorola camp, but it definitely makes for some interesting conversation topics. Sound off with your perspective.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I knew they'd release at least 6..at least 3 droids and 3 others like the g, x and another..

This doesn't bother me because the path before was to "slightly" upgrade a device and release it.. These won't be like that(the maxx version of the droid will of course be a bigger battery variant) but i think all of these devices will offer something different.. I'm excited.. I want a new droid.. My maxx is still awesome, but i hope for more RAM and hopefully an sd card slot... I highly doubt i get the slot though..

I hope they keep samoled screens though.. I've spent some time with the g3 and the screen doesn't make that much difference to me.... Just my way of thinking..

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
As long as they are set to compete in different markets at different prices, thats fine. But if you have 3 high end devices....too many then.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm almost worried with so many devices, it lessens the chance for updates and support to carry through more than a few months. I second that hopefully it'll be different price points for different markets.

on the move..

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'm almost worried with so many devices, it lessens the chance for updates and support to carry through more than a few months. I second that hopefully it'll be different price points for different markets.

on the move..
Unless they're all like the motox and the ultra... Very similar to other variants on the same carrier.. Yet with enough difference to be its own device.

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Remember Moto is still under contract with verizon so they have to continue the droid line. Last year they released a droid razr hd, razr hd maxx, and a droid mini so I expect 3 of the 8 to be updates to them. On the moto side you have the x, g, and e which all were successful so expect those to be updates (we are now at 6). So if you throw in the nexus line then there is our 7. I think 8 could just be google play edition or google silver version of a device.

Plus the line up may be the fall of 2014- spring of 2015 line up. Being the last few years vzw released a moto like device right before nfl regular season so to preload it with nfl mobile app I expect to see the razrs (hd, maxx, and mini) released in the coming weeks followed by the moto x+1. The g and the e probably will not get released until around after Christmas.

D

Divergent

I might be interested in the Moto S, but first I'm still in love with HTC.
Maybe when Moto S will be high featured / high end hardware for cheap price than I will buy it maybe for development.
Phones like Moto G are very popular at Android development.

26 October will my HTC One M7 arrive !

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'm lusting after a new moto device.. But idk.. We'll see what they drop