RSD/SPR issues

Palantirion

Reaction score
I've gotten around to following the SPRecovery tutorial, got the right drivers installed on my XP machine, installed RSD, downloaded SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf, got the rooting update.exe on my SD card, and...

...RSD fails to properly flash SPR on my droid, every time. Specifically, my Droid's bootloader screen doesn't change during the flash, I get an enumeration error message (with a code: 703E), and my droid is frozen and must have the battery pulled to reboot. It isn't bricked, but I really want to get SPR working! Please help me!

p.s. I had nandroid working on v201 before my v21 update. I didn't go back to stock as the v21 update was actually accidental. Currently I have only the stock droid recovery screen, but I noticed I couldn't erase cache.

Last edited:

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
K, We just got a new SPR file to flash with RSD that will work with any Android version. The one you used was only designed to work for 2.1.

Link 3 in my sig, option 2, then you can install any Rom you like. Make sure do D/L the SPR file from that link.

Last edited:
OP
Palantirion

Palantirion

Reaction score
K, We just got a new SPR file to flash with RSD that will work with any Android version. The one you used was only designed to work for 2.1.

Link 2 in my sig, option 2, then you can install any Rom you like. Make sure do D/L the SPR file from that link.
-Awesome! Thanks! By "option 2" you mean Koush? And I presume that it will work with Froyo as well?

Last edited:

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Link 2 in my sig, option 2, then you can install any Rom you like. Make sure do D/L the SPR file from that link.
-Awesome! Thanks! By "option 2" you mean Koush? And I presume that it will work with Froyo as well?

No, koush had nothing to do with this. The link he is talking about is actually his third, but I think he switched up his sig recently so it switched. Do box option 2 in his 3rd link. Make sure you download that SPR file in that box option.

OP
Palantirion

Palantirion

Reaction score
No, koush had nothing to do with this. The link he is talking about is actually his third, but I think he switched up his sig recently so it switched. Do box option 2 in his 3rd link. Make sure you download that SPR file in that box option.
-Downloaded MC1_A855_1282081087_Recovery-Only_SPRecovery_0.99.3b.sbf and ran it through RSD 4.6 but it hung up again while "waiting for enumeration" and also froze my phone. An excerpt from the final error message: "...phone did not re-enumerate after RAM-downloader was sent...0x-703E".

I did upgrade to v22 since my last RSD attempt. I'm not rooted or anything yet, obviously, but I am running Zeam.

p.s. Would it matter if I renamed the .sbf file?

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
It sounds like your phone has been pretty unhappy ever since your initial SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf install. Your description sounds like you were on 2.1 when you installed the ESE81 SPR, so it should have gone OK. I have to ask -- just to be safe -- this is for a Motorola Droid 1 (A855), right?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Also yes, it matters if you rename the .sbf. You should never rename a .sbf file.

OP
Palantirion

Palantirion

Reaction score
It sounds like your phone has been pretty unhappy ever since your initial SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf install. Your description sounds like you were on 2.1 when you installed the ESE81 SPR, so it should have gone OK. I have to ask -- just to be safe -- this is for a Motorola Droid 1 (A855), right?
-Yeah, we're discussing my Motorola Droid. The model shows up as "SE Flash OMAP3430 MI" in RSD.

Also yes, it matters if you rename the .sbf. You should never rename a .sbf file.
-Ahhh. Well, I renamed it back (took off the suffix I added) but it froze again and RSD returned the same error message.

FRUSTRATED!!! (and grateful for the help)

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
-Downloaded MC1_A855_1282081087_Recovery-Only_SPRecovery_0.99.3b.sbf and ran it through RSD 4.6 but it hung up again while "waiting for enumeration" and also froze my phone. An excerpt from the final error message: "...phone did not re-enumerate after RAM-downloader was sent...0x-703E".

I did upgrade to v22 since my last RSD attempt. I'm not rooted or anything yet, obviously, but I am running Zeam.

p.s. Would it matter if I renamed the .sbf file?

I assume you got to 2.2 by OTA not manuall install, is this correct?

Thanks for clarifying the links Tank.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
Palantirion, please provide the MD5Sum of both of your SBF files. It sounds like perhaps your initial ESE81 file may have been corrupted.

OP
Palantirion

Palantirion

Reaction score
I assume you got to 2.2 by OTA not manuall install, is this correct?

Thanks for clarifying the links Tank.
-Yes, OTA install.

I did have the phone rooted under 2.01, with nandroid installed. It got unrooted during an accidental OTA 2.1 upgrade. I don't know if nandroid worked after the 2.1, because I hadn't had a reason to check, but after my first attempt to install SBF on 2.1 (prior to upgrading to 2.2) nandroid was gone or corrupted (not sure, never saw the original Motorola version).

Palantirion, please provide the MD5Sum of both of your SBF files.
-Sorry for the newb question, but how?

p.s. RSD lists both my Droid and my wife's (which has never been rooted or anything but approved market apps) "SE Flash OMAP3430 MI". Don't know if that helps. Both phones fail flashing SPF the same way.

Last edited:
OP
Palantirion

Palantirion

Reaction score
Hmmm, something is strange. BOTH my wife's Droid (all stock v22) and mine (previously rooted, nandroid, etc.) refuse to boot successfully into recovery mode (power+X). Both show the warning triangle and lock up. After I pull the battery they boot up just fine.

Could RSD have corrupted the stock recovery? Any ideas on how to fix this?

OP
Palantirion

Palantirion

Reaction score
*update*
I got Androot and installed it. Rooted my phone's v22 just fine. Installed ROM Manager and installed ClockworkMod Recovery. It seemed to work fine, and I made a backup with it, but it freezes (triangle graphic) when I try to go into recovery more than once without reinstalling Clockwork! Then I noticed that ROM Manager can install SBRecovery 99.3b, so I tried that (this removes Clockwork). It worked fine and allowed me to make a backup in recovery mode...BUT it would freeze when I tried to boot into recovery after that first installation.

My wife's phone is unchanged and still won't boot into recovery.

Any ideas/help?

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
*update*
I got Androot and installed it. Rooted my phone's v22 just fine. Installed ROM Manager and installed ClockworkMod Recovery. It seemed to work fine, and I made a backup with it, but it freezes (triangle graphic) when I try to go into recovery more than once without reinstalling Clockwork! Then I noticed that ROM Manager can install SBRecovery 99.3b, so I tried that (this removes Clockwork). It worked fine and allowed me to make a backup in recovery mode...BUT it would freeze when I tried to boot into recovery after that first installation.

My wife's phone is unchanged and still won't boot into recovery.

Any ideas/help?
Well, it's not really "freezing" -- what you're seeing is the stock recovery. You successfully flashed on a custom recovery, and then when you rebooted the OS the next time, it noticed the recovery didn't have the right sha1 sum and it put it back to stock for you. :) It didn't want you to be troubled by having the wrong recovery on your phone. (Yes, I'm being silly - I need sleep.) This is a brand spankin' new feature of the 2.2 OTA package. I'm pretty sure I discovered it first. I've rambled about it quite a bit between page 39 and 45 of http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html this topic. Since you're already rooted, just go delete the /system/recovery-from-boot.p file (or rename it and put ".not" on the end or something) and then that won't happen anymore. Then you can put your custom recovery back on and it will stay there.

Last edited: