Rooting new OTA???

moracca

Reaction score
feck me. I have been researching rooting for a few days now, and finally decided it was time. Then the update comes along and I was putting off installing it, but once I was comfortable with the rooting process, I decided to install the OTA update before rooting to avoid having to reroot once it was finished. And now I find out that I can't root anymore because i installed the update and I am kicking myself in the balls as hard as I can.
Is there any way I can remove this latest OTA update so I can root? even if it means resetting my phone to factory? I can't stand all this verizon bullsh*t on my phone and I definitely wouldn't have updated if I knew I wouldn't be able to root afterward :(

mitch575

Reaction score
on the instruction page for installing the ota without losing root what does this part mean? i'm completely confused.

a. Start with arrow out of a box and flash a few times
b. Reboot again (HTC Incredible)
c. Start with circle/down arrows and thermometer this time

"arrow out of a box and flash a few times"?????
"circle/down arrows and thermometer"??????

BenHolliday

Reaction score
on the instruction page for installing the ota without losing root what does this part mean? i'm completely confused.

a. Start with arrow out of a box and flash a few times
b. Reboot again (HTC Incredible)
c. Start with circle/down arrows and thermometer this time

"arrow out of a box and flash a few times"?????
"circle/down arrows and thermometer"??????

Just followed the instructions about an hour ago, mine didn't do that either so just followed the rest of the instructions and it all went perfect...

Well, not perfect. I no longer have nandroid in recovery to make backups.

quiquito

Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

I want to confirm that the instructions posted earlier does work perfectly to get the lattest update while keeping root and the recovery console ClockWork Mod 2.5.0.5. I had the HTC Incredible with Stock Rom ver 2.2 software 3.21.605.1 (PRIOR to installing update containing VCAST). I followed the instructions (here) to Root using unrEVOked 3.21
and then unrEVOked Forever (to get S-OFF).

I kept getting the nagging screen about the new OTA software ver 3.26.605.1). I finally accepted the message (after rooting and getting S-OFF) and it got rid of the message (nothing was updated or changed). I still felt that I was missing out on the new update. So I followed the instructions on (here).

Now I have the lattest update stock rom ver 3.26.605.1 with Root, S-OFF, SuperUser, and CWM Recovery. In other words... you get the best of both worlds.

I know somebody had a questions about the instructions (In steps 10-a through 10-g all you have to do is be patient and wait for the phone to go through several auto-reboot cycles. Just wait until you get to the lock screen as indicated in the instructions)

Enjoy!

Tallguy

Reaction score
Blah

I too just bought my phone not more than a week ago and it seems to have come stock with the 2.2 OTA. I get stuck at the "waiting for root" screen as well. Please keep us updated as to a new way around this. I would really like to get my droid rooted.

Thanks

OP
B

blackwolf77

Reaction score
Fix!!

The unrevoked team has posted on twitter that they have a fix for those of us stuck with no root and the new ota. They said we can expect it in the next day or two. I am glad to see that they are making headway. Even if they don't have a fix in the next day or two at least we know that they are aware of it and working on it.

Thanks Unrevoked Team!!

Tallguy

Reaction score
Well, keep us up to date, I'm eager to get a few particular mods done...

Also, does anyone know why im getting an error saying something android.process.acore failed and has stopped...? or something like that.... It started after I tried to root my phone like many people not realizing that the November OTA prevents it and ends up getting stuck... nothing seems to be affected.. I just get the error now and then while I'm just messin around with my phone... any ideas?

wpg9210

Reaction score
So let's confirm. Unrevoked has not yet put out a version that will root the 2.2 software?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

pabtheghost

Reaction score
right. the most recent article i could find was from the 27th, saying the same as all the others since the 24th; that it is on its way. should be any day now though, seeing as how most of the articles suggested it would have been out this past weekend at the latest. maybe something went awry during testing :/

for anyone who has tried rooting with unrevoked and failed because of the last OTA-
unrevoked keeps hanging at “waiting for device. plug phone in now and enable USB debugging.” is that where you guys are having your problem too? i keep seeing people get different messages. if you manage to overcome this particular issue, let me know. ive tried everything... even factory reset

edit: looks like they are getting it done!!! http://twitter.com/unrevoked

Last edited: