1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Rooting new OTA???

Discussion in 'Droid Incredible Hacks' started by blackwolf77, Nov 12, 2010.

1. blackwolf77

blackwolf77 New Member

O.K. so I upgraded from my long time rooted Droid, to the awesome incredible last night. Love the phone!! Had it rooted after being home for less than an hour. Thought I would be "smart" and unrooted this morning as to install the new OTA...... All went well.......Thank God! But.........
    Now........

I can't reroot with unrevoked!! Gets to the part where it is waiting for root and doesnt go any further. I have retried this 3 times and fails everytime.

So am I screwed until they update unrevoked?????

P.S. Yes I turned s-on when I unrooted.........
  2. enlightened

enlightened Super Moderator

First report I've heard of problems rooting after this latest OTA. Will keep my ears open for any others over at www.incredibleforum.com and report back if anything pops up.

UPDATE: This is now a well-known issue. The latest OTA closed exploits that were previously used to get root access.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  3. blackwolf77

blackwolf77 New Member

So after spending very little time over at xda I found that this is a problem with the new OTA. Hopefully it won't be long and the developers of unrevoked find a loop hole.
  4. mauiblue

mauiblue New Member

There is nothing special I would want from the lastest OTA update. I'll wait until the dev of the custom ROM I have flashed on my Incredible incorporates any "needed" aspects of the OTA update into the custom ROM.
  5. Marco Montana

Marco Montana New Member

Im not installing it, i finally got my droid doong everything i wanted and noway im risking having it all stock again! Is there a way to stop the scan for updates? I dont need any slacker or bill**** vcast crap.....

Droid Incredible ADR6300
  6. spurscar

spurscar New Member

No kidding, how do we get the phone to stop asking every 5 seconds... blah.
  7. Marco Montana

Marco Montana New Member

Bump...

Anyone know how to avoid the update and stop the damn nag screen?
  8. spurscar

spurscar New Member

9. durty

durty New Member

I, too, just followed these directions and can confirm that it does work! What is strange is that this is the only set of instructions I could find on how to do it. Isn't there anyone else out there who wants the latest software? It should be cake to remove the Slacker icon out of your list if you want, but I guess that how-to should be saved for another thread.
  10. snipercia1

snipercia1 New Member

My incredible is brand new as of 3 days ago and I also get stuck at the end of the unrevoked root method (waiting for root) my phone was not previously rooted so is there any currently working root process for the incredible running 2.2 out of the box?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App
  11. blackwolf77

blackwolf77 New Member

No. Still waiting for the devs to update unrevoked.................... D*mn I miss root!
  12. Marco Montana

Marco Montana New Member

What was new in it? other than Vcast and slacker i saw nothing in the patch notes that would give better performance other then their say so...
  13. hendersj

hendersj New Member

Awesome, thanks for posting that link - simple and it works.
  14. enlightened

enlightened Super Moderator

No current way of rooting if you have the latest OTA.
  15. techguru

techguru New Member

To get rid of the nag, root your phone with Unrevoked3. Then, accept the OTA, which will fail, but the nag will also go away. (If you are rooted, there is another method of modifying a file so the phone thinks it already has the update, but seems useless to me since just accepting the update and letting it fail works).

If you later want the update, there are instructions in this thread for applying it to an already rooted phone.

Alan
  16. moracca

moracca New Member

feck me. I have been researching rooting for a few days now, and finally decided it was time. Then the update comes along and I was putting off installing it, but once I was comfortable with the rooting process, I decided to install the OTA update before rooting to avoid having to reroot once it was finished. And now I find out that I can't root anymore because i installed the update and I am kicking myself in the balls as hard as I can.
    Is there any way I can remove this latest OTA update so I can root? even if it means resetting my phone to factory? I can't stand all this verizon bullsh*t on my phone and I definitely wouldn't have updated if I knew I wouldn't be able to root afterward :(
  17. Marco Montana

Marco Montana New Member

This
    Droid Incredible ADR6300
  18. mitch575

mitch575 New Member

on the instruction page for installing the ota without losing root what does this part mean? i'm completely confused.

a. Start with arrow out of a box and flash a few times
    b. Reboot again (HTC Incredible)
    c. Start with circle/down arrows and thermometer this time

"arrow out of a box and flash a few times"?????
    "circle/down arrows and thermometer"??????
  19. BenHolliday

BenHolliday New Member

Just followed the instructions about an hour ago, mine didn't do that either so just followed the rest of the instructions and it all went perfect...

Well, not perfect. I no longer have nandroid in recovery to make backups.
  20. quiquito

quiquito New Member

Hello Everybody,

I want to confirm that the instructions posted earlier does work perfectly to get the lattest update while keeping root and the recovery console ClockWork Mod 2.5.0.5. I had the HTC Incredible with Stock Rom ver 2.2 software 3.21.605.1 (PRIOR to installing update containing VCAST). I followed the instructions (here) to Root using unrEVOked 3.21
    and then unrEVOked Forever (to get S-OFF).

I kept getting the nagging screen about the new OTA software ver 3.26.605.1). I finally accepted the message (after rooting and getting S-OFF) and it got rid of the message (nothing was updated or changed). I still felt that I was missing out on the new update. So I followed the instructions on (here).

Now I have the lattest update stock rom ver 3.26.605.1 with Root, S-OFF, SuperUser, and CWM Recovery. In other words... you get the best of both worlds.

I know somebody had a questions about the instructions (In steps 10-a through 10-g all you have to do is be patient and wait for the phone to go through several auto-reboot cycles. Just wait until you get to the lock screen as indicated in the instructions)

Enjoy!
Search tags for this page

root htc incredible adr6300 2.2