Rooting new OTA???

blackwolf77

Reaction score
O.K. so I upgraded from my long time rooted Droid, to the awesome incredible last night. Love the phone!! Had it rooted after being home for less than an hour. Thought I would be "smart" and unrooted this morning as to install the new OTA...... All went well.......Thank God! But.........
Now........

I can't reroot with unrevoked!! Gets to the part where it is waiting for root and doesnt go any further. I have retried this 3 times and fails everytime.

So am I screwed until they update unrevoked?????

P.S. Yes I turned s-on when I unrooted.........

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
First report I've heard of problems rooting after this latest OTA. Will keep my ears open for any others over at www.incredibleforum.com and report back if anything pops up.

UPDATE: This is now a well-known issue. The latest OTA closed exploits that were previously used to get root access.

Last edited:
OP
B

blackwolf77

Reaction score
So after spending very little time over at xda I found that this is a problem with the new OTA. Hopefully it won't be long and the developers of unrevoked find a loop hole.

mauiblue

Reaction score
There is nothing special I would want from the lastest OTA update. I'll wait until the dev of the custom ROM I have flashed on my Incredible incorporates any "needed" aspects of the OTA update into the custom ROM.

Marco Montana

Reaction score
Im not installing it, i finally got my droid doong everything i wanted and noway im risking having it all stock again! Is there a way to stop the scan for updates? I dont need any slacker or bill**** vcast crap.....

Droid Incredible ADR6300

spurscar

Reaction score
No kidding, how do we get the phone to stop asking every 5 seconds... blah.

durty

Reaction score
I followed these instructions successfully:

Installing OTA to Rooted Android

I, too, just followed these directions and can confirm that it does work! What is strange is that this is the only set of instructions I could find on how to do it. Isn't there anyone else out there who wants the latest software? It should be cake to remove the Slacker icon out of your list if you want, but I guess that how-to should be saved for another thread.

snipercia1

Reaction score
My incredible is brand new as of 3 days ago and I also get stuck at the end of the unrevoked root method (waiting for root) my phone was not previously rooted so is there any currently working root process for the incredible running 2.2 out of the box?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

OP
B

blackwolf77

Reaction score
My incredible is brand new as of 3 days ago and I also get stuck at the end of the unrevoked root method (waiting for root) my phone was not previously rooted so is there any currently working root process for the incredible running 2.2 out of the box?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

No. Still waiting for the devs to update unrevoked.................... D*mn I miss root!

Marco Montana

Reaction score
I followed these instructions successfully:

Installing OTA to Rooted Android

I, too, just followed these directions and can confirm that it does work! What is strange is that this is the only set of instructions I could find on how to do it. Isn't there anyone else out there who wants the latest software? It should be cake to remove the Slacker icon out of your list if you want, but I guess that how-to should be saved for another thread.

What was new in it? other than Vcast and slacker i saw nothing in the patch notes that would give better performance other then their say so...

techguru

Reaction score
No kidding, how do we get the phone to stop asking every 5 seconds... blah.

Bump...

Anyone know how to avoid the update and stop the damn nag screen?

To get rid of the nag, root your phone with Unrevoked3. Then, accept the OTA, which will fail, but the nag will also go away. (If you are rooted, there is another method of modifying a file so the phone thinks it already has the update, but seems useless to me since just accepting the update and letting it fail works).

If you later want the update, there are instructions in this thread for applying it to an already rooted phone.

Alan