Rooting a Verizon Droid

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Had you installed any new apps before the battery drop?

No...
This was noticed right after I rooted it. I had only re-installed a few of the apps that I was running before the root.

Check running services, maybe something is stuck running that shouldn't be. or open up terminal emulator and type
su (enter)
logcat (enter)

see if an app could be stuck somewhere.

OP
NetNathan

NetNathan

Reaction score
Doh....
Appears to have been a false alarm on battery drain.
Last night I only lost 20%.

Whoopie....
SPF installed.
Droid is rooted.
Wifi Tethering works.

No on to a custom ROM.
I see several available, anybody have any favorites?
Is a new ROM required to be able to overclock?
I assume on a new ROM, I will loose all my Market apps and any others I have loaded will have to be loaded again?
I installed ROM Manager also, as noted in the instructional video, what is the purpose of this app?
What is the purpose of the "SuperUser Permissions" settings?

OP
NetNathan

NetNathan

Reaction score
Wow phone text ftl meant to say you should be able to get all your apps by going into market then downloads then redownload them.

Yea right...
The flipping "Market" never updated (I gave it 24 hours) to show me more than about 1/2 of what I had downloaded and even then it did not show me ANY apps that I had paid for...grrrrr. I had to go back thru my emails to get reciepts for the apps. Even 2 days later it still only shows me the ones that I downloaded recently but it did add Voice Dialer HF which I had paid for (However it is still just as dumb as ever at trying to repeat what I say.....for example..I say "Call Shane", it asks "Open Camera"???).

So in the future make sure you make a list of the apps you have downloaded before you root your phone....and again when you change ROMs also (I have not loaded a new ROM yet but this seems to be the case). Meaning after I load a new ROM (If I ever figure out what ROM I want) I will have to go thru the Market routine all over again.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
if you get titanium backup it has a market fix option that fixes any broken market links...like what you have. Just for future reference. Can also try Mybackup Pro, might have a similar option.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
IMHO either your market situation will iron itself out in a few days, or you'll just have to know what you had and trust me, if you have to redownload an app you paid for, you will NOT be charged again.

As for custom roms. Yup there's a total tonnage of them out there. What do you want your phone to do? Will that 'rom' automatically include that feature? Or would you be better served by READING how to add that feature your self? How do you intend to install said custom rom? Is there an easy way, or do you have to READ about how to do it yourself? How's about READING about the different ways to install ROM's, and READING about the different apps that help (or not) you to install them?

As for myself, I did do some of my own READING and settled on using ROM Manager (after some READING on the best way to use it) and that's how I arrived (for now) to my current setup.

good luck

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Well, I can only speak for myself, but I have read-- and Read, and READ. I suspect the OP has also. There is a lot of information out there, if you already know the terminology. Even the detailed descriptions of the ROMS contain terms baffling to those new to the concept. I can understand this; the posts would be unmanageably long if each and every term was explained everywhere. But there is no glossary `a search for one brought me by a roundabout route to RootYourDroid.info, which has easy to understand guides and one may pick uWell, I can only speak for myself, but I have read-- and Read, and READ. I suspect the OP has also. There is a lot of information out there, if you already know the terminology. Even the detailed descriptions of the ROMS contain terms baffling to those new to the concept. I can understand this; the posts would be unmanageably long if each and every term was explained everywhere. But there is no glossary `a search for one brought me by a roundabout route to RootYourDroid.info, which has easy to understand guides and one may pick up a fair amount of info by the time one works through it, but it is about to disappear. So please don't assume we're not READING. I know that if I ask a question, it' because I've looked first and not unearthed the answer.
So thanks to the kind rescue squad members and others who are willing to post links and words of support.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
<snip>
Wifi Tethering works.

No on to a custom ROM.
I assume on a new ROM, I will loose all my Market apps and any others I have loaded will have to be loaded again?
I installed ROM Manager also, as noted in the instructional video, what is the purpose of this app?

1. Custom ROM~several available~my two favorites have been sholes.info/DroidMod releases and now CyanogenMod
2. A custom rom is not needed to overclock, it is in the kernel, a portion of the 'boot.img' file in most of your nandroid backups and custom roms, etc.
3. Most new ROM's require you to do a wipe of both your data and cache, most of your market apps are stored in the /data portion of your phone, so yes. So even when you use Titamium or MyBackupPro to backup your stuff, after a data/cache wipe, you will want to make which ever one of those the first you restore.
4. ROM Manager will help automate the process of doing nandroid backups, installing custom roms, and/or just trying out various overclocking kernels without a custom rom. ALWAYS do a backup when trying something new, you will be prompted by rom manager. I personally think ROM manager is the greatest thing for the Droid.
5. The "Superuser Permissions" settings app, if that is what you refer to is just a list of the apps and/or events to which you have granted superuser access to. You don't need to do anything in there usually.

@Phoenix, sorry if my last reply seemed rude, I did not mean to imply that you guys haven't read enough, although after re-reading what I posted, that is exactly what I basically said.

And the sad thing about this amazing phone is the proliferation of ways to get to the same place. There is NO standardization whatsoever. Everybody and their brother has posted some how-to do something and no two are much alike, and worse the terminoligy or acronyms are different everywhere as well. The "SBF method" and using a .sbf file for example have been percieved to be two different things.

So for me that is where the reading comes into play. This is why I am not much of a post monster. I am out reading the stuff and sifting through the different ways ppl are getting from a to b and seeing and testing the best one and then putting that (if I so chose) into my notes, also know as my guides. I started my guides the same time or earlier than BigLou, but mine are not known as well. I even sent him some pm's about trying to standardize our stuff to reduce confusion to the noobs, but he didn't want to. I really didn't care much, just for the community it created more confusion.

OK, I'm done, hope that explains the questions and me a bit better, gotta go read and answer some more posts.

p.s. back @ NetNathan - you say that WiFi tether works? Could you please go on your phone to menu -> settings -> about phone -> and tell me/us what it says exactly for 'kernel'?

OP
NetNathan

NetNathan

Reaction score
<snip>
Wifi Tethering works.

No on to a custom ROM.

1. Custom ROM~several available~my two favorites have been sholes.info/DroidMod releases and now CyanogenMod
2. A custom rom is not needed to overclock, it is in the kernel, a portion of the 'boot.img' file in most of your nandroid backups and custom roms, etc.
3. Most new ROM's require you to do a wipe of both your data and cache, most of your market apps are stored in the /data portion of your phone, so yes. So even when you use Titamium or MyBackupPro to backup your stuff, after a data/cache wipe, you will want to make which ever one of those the first you restore.
4. ROM Manager will help automate the process of doing nandroid backups, installing custom roms, and/or just trying out various overclocking kernels without a custom rom. ALWAYS do a backup when trying something new, you will be prompted by rom manager. I personally think ROM manager is the greatest thing for the Droid.
5. The "Superuser Permissions" settings app, if that is what you refer to is just a list of the apps and/or events to which you have granted superuser access to. You don't need to do anything in there usually.

@Phoenix, sorry if my last reply seemed rude, I did not mean to imply that you guys haven't read enough, although after re-reading what I posted, that is exactly what I basically said.

And the sad thing about this amazing phone is the proliferation of ways to get to the same place. There is NO standardization whatsoever. Everybody and their brother has posted some how-to do something and no two are much alike, and worse the terminoligy or acronyms are different everywhere as well. The "SBF method" and using a .sbf file for example have been percieved to be two different things.

So for me that is where the reading comes into play. This is why I am not much of a post monster. I am out reading the stuff and sifting through the different ways ppl are getting from a to b and seeing and testing the best one and then putting that (if I so chose) into my notes, also know as my guides. I started my guides the same time or earlier than BigLou, but mine are not known as well. I even sent him some pm's about trying to standardize our stuff to reduce confusion to the noobs, but he didn't want to. I really didn't care much, just for the community it created more confusion.

OK, I'm done, hope that explains the questions and me a bit better, gotta go read and answer some more posts.

p.s. back @ NetNathan - you say that WiFi tether works? Could you please go on your phone to menu -> settings -> about phone -> and tell me/us what it says exactly for 'kernel'?

Thanks for the rather good explnation. Your time is deeply appreciated.
This forum needs a "Sticky" section where the best of the basic info can be found.

Phone Info.....

Firmware Version:

Kernal version:
2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788
android-build@apa26 #1

Build:
ESE81 by Pete

OP
NetNathan

NetNathan

Reaction score
<snip>
Wifi Tethering works.

No on to a custom ROM.

Thanks for the rather good explnation. Your time is deeply appreciated.
This forum needs a "Sticky" section where the best of the basic info can be found.

Phone Info.....

Firmware Version:

Kernal version:
2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788
android-build@apa26 #1

Build:
ESE81 by Pete

Actaully I was a little premature..... the connection is good but I cannot go anywhere and I have a "NAT" error in the log. Apperantly the "No NetFilters" error is holding me up.
So I need someone's kernal...?
A kernel load will not wipe out my apps will it? But now I have Titanium Backup.... which is superb.

I may also be running the wrong Tether
I installed this one but I don't believe it works for Version 2.1

wireless_tether_2_0-pre10.apk

From here:
Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code