Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Phone Info.....

Firmware Version:

Kernal version:
2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788
android-build@apa26 #1

Build:
ESE81 by Pete

OK, now we're getting somewhere and thank you. IMHO, whenever a question is asked, this is the info that should be included in the question dancedroid.

As you noticed, your Wireless Tether does not work since your phone is running the stock kernel which does not support it. Your "Build ESE81 by pete" tells me that you used his 'update.zip' file to finish rooting your 2.1. You have the right wireless tether .apk installed, but you need a kernel that supports it. I would use ROM Manager - free from the market and then try one of bekit's kernels.

Here's the steps: Try doing all this while on WiFi if you can, after installing ROM Manager, you will want to let it flash the ClockworkMod Recovery (CMR), then you will need to enable 'advanced mode' from within the ROM manager menu -> settings. Then, in ROM Manager, go to download rom -> cyanogenmod -> bekit kernels. You could just select the stock one, or maybe one of the low voltage overclock ones - I wouldn't try going over 1 ghz at first - plus you need setcpu for OC, we're just going to get your WiFi tether working for now. Installing a new kernel does not require a wipe of your data/apps/settings, so you don't have to select that option but do select the backup option when prompted.

OK, once it's done installing and such, fire up your Wireless tether and see if it works.

good luck

OP
NetNathan

NetNathan

Reaction score
Phone Info.....

Firmware Version:

Kernal version:
2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788
android-build@apa26 #1

Build:
ESE81 by Pete

OK, now we're getting somewhere and thank you. IMHO, whenever a question is asked, this is the info that should be included in the question dancedroid.

As you noticed, your Wireless Tether does not work since your phone is running the stock kernel which does not support it. Your "Build ESE81 by pete" tells me that you used his 'update.zip' file to finish rooting your 2.1. You have the right wireless tether .apk installed, but you need a kernel that supports it. I would use ROM Manager - free from the market and then try one of bekit's kernels.

Here's the steps: Try doing all this while on WiFi if you can, after installing ROM Manager, you will want to let it flash the ClockworkMod Recovery (CMR), then you will need to enable 'advanced mode' from within the ROM manager menu -> settings. Then, in ROM Manager, go to download rom -> cyanogenmod -> bekit kernels. You could just select the stock one, or maybe one of the low voltage overclock ones - I wouldn't try going over 1 ghz at first - plus you need setcpu for OC, we're just going to get your WiFi tether working for now. Installing a new kernel does not require a wipe of your data/apps/settings, so you don't have to select that option but do select the backup option when prompted.

OK, once it's done installing and such, fire up your Wireless tether and see if it works.

good luck

HELP!

Here's the steps I followed:
Try doing all this while on WiFi if you can,
after installing ROM Manager, ROM Manageer already installed and on WiFi
You will want to let it flash the ClockworkMod Recovery (CMR), Done
You will need to enable 'advanced mode' from within the ROM manager menu -> settings. Done
In ROM Manager, go to download rom -> cyanogenmod -> bekit kernels. You could just select the stock one, or maybe one of the low voltage overclock ones - I wouldn't try going over 1 ghz at first - plus you need setcpu for OC, we're just going to get your WiFi tether working for now. Used the stock bekit kernel because I did not know if I was 5 slot or 7 slot

Installing a new kernel does not require a wipe of your data/apps/settings, so you don't have to select that option but do select the backup option when prompted. Phone rebooted through ClockMod Recovery to install kernel. I watched it reboot into Recovery Mode and do the backup and install kernal. Then it rebooted again and
Now all I have is the "M" logo. It is froze.

Should I reboot (I can only do this by pulling battery) with the "X" rourine and resotre something? I have tested this and it works but I have dobee nothing yet...when I chose "Reboot System" it rebooted and went back to the "M" logo and hangs.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
I don't usually respond this quickly, but you seem to have some skills, BUT I have to ask:

Did you "select the backup option when prompted"? You posted a very good reply as to your progression of the things you did to your phone, major KUDO's to ya. I ask because of the first paragraph above and the fact that I'm pretty much all in for the night. The final answer for you to get back would be to restore your backup and then we might be able to further explore this further tommorrow.

good luck, but that's all I've got for tonite . . . . .

OP
NetNathan

NetNathan

Reaction score
I don't usually respond this quickly, but you seem to have some skills, BUT I have to ask:

Did you "select the backup option when prompted"? You posted a very good reply as to your progression of the things you did to your phone, major KUDO's to ya. I ask because of the first paragraph above and the fact that I'm pretty much all in for the night. The final answer for you to get back would be to restore your backup and then we might be able to further explore this further tommorrow.

You bet I chose the "rom backup" option. I did not select "wipe data/apps/settings"....
Minor question...
How do I restore the backup?

OP
NetNathan

NetNathan

Reaction score

You bet I chose the "rom backup" option. I did not select "wipe data/apps/settings"....
Minor question...
How do I restore the backup?

Okay...I had to figure some of it out on my own...
I did the "X" Start and selected
advanced>recovery mode
Now I have choices of what to recover...
Boot, System, Data.....
(jees.... I just selected "backup rom" when i started this...why don't they just have "restore rom" selection)

Well..... I bravely jumped on "Restore System".
Screen showed progression of restore and then "Reboot System" selection screen popped up.
Rebooted.....grrrr.... hung up again on "M" logo.

I am not going to give up......fix it or brick it....

Went back into "X" Start, went to recovery screen and chose "Restore Boot".
Display showed progression.....Did Reboot...

Hey....Hey...Hey....I rebooted completely clean. Back where I started.
Desktop as it was and almost all apps in place.

By the way I already had "Set Cpu" installed. Should I turn off "Enable on Boot" when doing rom and kernel swaps?

Was the "bekit" kernel not compatible with my "build ESE81 by Pete" root on a stock 2.1 ROM?

Okay I trust Titanium Backup to restore my apps.
Screw Kernels, I might as well as change to a ROM that also supports tethering, overclocking and more.
Shoudl I just start with Bugless Beast?

Oh yea......what is this "5 Slot" / "7 Slot" and "Low Voltage" / "High Voltage" selection?
I have Motorola Droid....how many slots and what is it's normal voltage requirements?

I also have "ROM Manager - Premium".

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
<snip>

By the way I already had "Set Cpu" installed. Should I turn off "Enable on Boot" when doing rom and kernel swaps?

Was the "bekit" kernel not compatible with my "build ESE81 by Pete" root on a stock 2.1 ROM?

Screw Kernels, I might as well as change to a ROM that also supports tethering, overclocking and more.

Oh yea......what is this "5 Slot" / "7 Slot" and "Low Voltage" / "High Voltage" selection?
I have Motorola Droid....how many slots and what is it's normal voltage requirements?

In post #42, my answer #2 explains why restoring 'boot' fixed your problem, as that is all you changed by trying another kernel.

Yes, apparently bekit's kernels are not compatable with your stock rooted 2.1 by pete. If you like, try one of p3droid's kernels. The difference between 5 slot and 7 slot is the amount of pre-set speeds contained for you to set with setcpu. Low Voltage, etc. should almost be self-explanatory. The 'set at boot' should not be selected until you find a kernel and speed that you and your droid are comfortable with. Overclocking should be not done to see how fast you can go, but how slow you can stand, the different voltages are to experiment with the stability of the clock speeds as the higher the voltage, the more heat and loss of cpu and battery life.

Look. All this info is out there. I'm a 50 year old old fart who has done enough damage to a brain for two lifetimes and have only been learning about this since November. If I can find this stuff, learn it and retain it, all you young guns should be able to do it better.

So try different kernels, or different roms. Most roms do have a tethering kernel built in, however usually only will clock up to 550-600 mhz. Make a backup, and usually do a data/cache wipe when going from one person's rom to another. I have given my opinion on roms in post 42, and lots of useful info from that post on down to get you off to a healthy, good start.

good luck

OP
NetNathan

NetNathan

Reaction score
<snip>

In post #42, my answer #2 explains why restoring 'boot' fixed your problem, as that is all you changed by trying another kernel.

Yes, apparently bekit's kernels are not compatable with your stock rooted 2.1 by pete. If you like, try one of p3droid's kernels. The difference between 5 slot and 7 slot is the amount of pre-set speeds contained for you to set with setcpu. Low Voltage, etc. should almost be self-explanatory. The 'set at boot' should not be selected until you find a kernel and speed that you and your droid are comfortable with. Overclocking should be not done to see how fast you can go, but how slow you can stand, the different voltages are to experiment with the stability of the clock speeds as the higher the voltage, the more heat and loss of cpu and battery life.

Look. All this info is out there. I'm a 50 year old old fart who has done enough damage to a brain for two lifetimes and have only been learning about this since November. If I can find this stuff, learn it and retain it, all you young guns should be able to do it better.

So try different kernels, or different roms. Most roms do have a tethering kernel built in, however usually only will clock up to 550-600 mhz. Make a backup, and usually do a data/cache wipe when going from one person's rom to another. I have given my opinion on roms in post 42, and lots of useful info from that post on down to get you off to a healthy, good start.

good luck

A 58 year old fart says thank you for your help.....

Oh yea....Can I do a full install of a ROM (like Buglesss Beast or Smoked Glass) through ROM Manager or do I have to do the "update.zip" thing everytime.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
There I went, assuming again. I assumed (wrongly) that hardly anyone my age or older would mess with one of these, sorry.

I would recommend doing all your rom installs via rom manager. Makes everything very much easier. I would first, however go to the respective website/threads/forums on your pc and read about other peoples' experiences with the rom you want to try first. I tried some of the early bugless beast (Pete) and Smoked Glass (AdamZ) stuff and just didn't get into them as at that time they had a few bugs that the Sholes.info/droidmod rom(s) I was also trying at the time did not, so for me, I never really went back. Besides, IMHO, whether you do smoked glass, bugless, or even Chevy1, you're just doing slightly different flavors of the same (first mentioned) rom.

So, just take it slow, do your research first, backup/wipe between different dev's roms and you should be ok.

good luck

OP
NetNathan

NetNathan

Reaction score
Just to let you know...

I am now running Bugless Beast with Smoked Glass Theme.
Running 800MHZ.... and right now that is fast enough.
System is stable and running well. Wifi Tethering up and running.

Since I was already running "ESE81 by Pete".....
It was a breeze doing it using ROM Manager only had to pick and load ROM and Theme. Everthing else was autoimatic thru final boot up.
Titanium backup replaced all my apps and app settings. I ony had to reconfigure my work email server settings and of course rebuild my "Home Screen".

Thanks again for your help.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Glad you made it, Nathan.
I am trying to make up my mind whether to root now or wait for Froyo and root that; something tells me it won't be long till the Froyo ROMs are out.
What do you folks think?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Glad you made it, Nathan.
I am trying to make up my mind whether to root now or wait for Froyo and root that; something tells me it won't be long till the Froyo ROMs are out.
What do you folks think?

Hard to tell. Verizon learned from last time not to pick dates. 2.01 came out within a month of 2.0 while 2.1's existence was known about for what seemed like ages but in reality wasn't that long. If it is by the end of june that isn't so bad. Leaves room for 2.3 before the end of the year. 4 updates in a year? Not bad.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
I can almost guarantee that when Froyo comes out (late July if we're lucky), the method to root it, if any, will change again. I do know some that are running rooted froyo, and one with a homemade oc kernel, though.

OP
NetNathan

NetNathan

Reaction score
Will I be able to keep the Froyo ROM update form being sent to my phone?
If not will it lock up when it trys to install Froyo with my phone running ESE81 and Bugless Beast or will it correctly load the new ROM??

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
IIRC the 2.1 update correctly, there was the option to allow it to proceed or not. If you don't allow it, it may keep nagging; I don't know. I suspect there is a way around it; I don't know,myself, but I'm sure someone will fill you in well before Froyo arrives.
That's why I was hoping for Froyo sooner rather than later,though. I figured as soon as it came out (if not sooner) someone would figure a way to root it and then I could do that and not be bothered for a while.
There is one thing in Froyo that I'd really like, true Bluetooth headset function,where you can initiate a call via Bluetooth headset as well as answer.