Upgrade Android OS possible on original Verizon Droid?

zumadog

Reaction score
I have resurrected a long disconnected Verizon Moto Droid A855 which has been rooted and is working well on wifi only. I am using it to make Skype calls around the house and browse the net. I wanted to install the Chrome browser but the warning I received was that my OS was not current (it is 2.2.3). Since I'm not connected to Verizon now for OTA updating, can the OS be updated using wifi?

As I mentioned, it is rooted so are there any apps that can make this phone even more useful using wifi only?

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
There are no updates beyond 2.2.3, the original Droid is a very old phone in the Android world.

There are some dev developed ROMs for the original Droid....Gingerbread (still doesn't support Chrome) and a pretty decent/stable ICS ROM found on XDA-developers.com.

Chrome browser is for OS 4.x and above...so ICS would be the minimum for it.

The warning you got was that your phone's OS was not current enough to run Chrome browser, not that your phone had a new(er) update available for the OS.

OP
Z

zumadog

Reaction score
Thanks for that info. I'll just use it as I have been and continue to use Opera Mini as my browser.

sammie_rich49

Reaction score
I have resurrected a long disconnected Verizon Moto Droid A855 which has been rooted and is working well on wifi only. I am using it to make Skype calls around the house and browse the net. I wanted to install the Chrome browser but the warning I received was that my OS was not current (it is 2.2.3). Since I'm not connected to Verizon now for OTA updating, can the OS be updated using wifi?

As I mentioned, it is rooted so are there any apps that can make this phone even more useful using wifi only?

I was able to upgrade my OS to 2.3.7 Gingerbread, I found a video with the .zip link on youtube, just search for 2.3.7 Gingerbread on motorola droid. Only problem is a lot of the apps still dont work (main reason I updated) and it kills my battery super fast. I am looking for a better upgrade, maybe jelly bean or ice cream sandwich, but Im not sure if they will work on my outdated piece of crap =(