Rooted Droid shuts itself off and goes back in time to 1969...?

OP
RedBull

RedBull

Reaction score
Well, I went back to Simply Stunning v2.0.2...and Helix Launcher. So far, I have not installed HL. I'm going to slowly apply one theme, one tweak at a time and see how it performs. So far all I've done is change boot animation and my kernel.

We'll see how it goes. I'll probably apply one change every 24 hours so I can monitor how it's going.

Also...a side note...the 5:01 thing...I'm wondering if that's just because when it resets, it goes to a different time zone...maybe it's just 1 minute after the start of that hour? (Did that make sense?)

Thanks for the tips/advice. I'm seriously thinking along the lines of Jstafford that Better Cut and HL don't play nicely together. I've seen a couple other comments on other threads saying something similar.

OP
RedBull

RedBull

Reaction score
Out of impatience...since I was on a different ROM, I launched Helix, and used Better Cut to make the Gallery Icon. I placed it in the 3rd row down, 4th icon over. When I press the icon, it gives me that cooliris error. But I then moved the icon to 4th row, 4th location, and it loads up the pictures, and as long as you don't hit the back button, it doesn't FC. But if you do hit the soft back button, it FC's.

It's as specific as I can be to a problem...it's odd as hell.

Here is a screen shot of how I currently have it formatted...the Gallery was in the location that the Market Icon is in now. Market Icon works fine in that position.

And yeah...I'm way low on Battery. Customizing this phone, finding the right ROM, the right kernel...everything...it's as addicting as CRACK! :)

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Out of impatience...since I was on a different ROM, I launched Helix, and used Better Cut to make the Gallery Icon. I placed it in the 3rd row down, 4th icon over. When I press the icon, it gives me that cooliris error. But I then moved the icon to 4th row, 4th location, and it loads up the pictures, and as long as you don't hit the back button, it doesn't FC. But if you do hit the soft back button, it FC's.

It's as specific as I can be to a problem...it's odd as hell.

Here is a screen shot of how I currently have it formatted...the Gallery was in the location that the Market Icon is in now. Market Icon works fine in that position.

And yeah...I'm way low on Battery. Customizing this phone, finding the right ROM, the right kernel...everything...it's as addicting as CRACK! :)

Well I think the issue is Better Cut. Did gallery work before you changed it? If so you can either live with it as is or I guess change it back?? I don't know much about it personally. If you can like with an occasional FC and no other issues, but its up to you of course.

cbushnell

Reaction score
I recently rooted my Droid and have done a few additions and tweaks. The last two days, around 1pm, my time, my phone shuts itself off. The only way to turn it back on is battery pull, and then turn it on. When it comes up, it's 5:01pm, Dec 31st, 1969.

After resetting date and time zone, it goes back to normal...but...is this "normal" that it's happening?

What kind of information do I need to provide so I can start trying to hunt down the cause of this problem?

Hello Rescue Squad...

I was going to free up some space on my phone and was browsing using Root Explorder and found 3 copies of this file under /cache

The File Properties are

Permissions: rwsrwsrwt
Size: 1181203
Timestamp: 31 Dec 1969 15:59:00
Owner: app_4294957295
Group: app_4294957295

I remembered reading the quoted thread as saw a few more folks that were having problems after flashing ROMs with the 1969 date.

I am running BD 8.0, comming from a very smooth 7.8 (installed via update.zip) I would of course like to delete these 3 files but 1. thought it might shed some light on others problems and 2. wanted to make sure deleting these using root explorer wouldn't cause issues.

PS downloaded CacheMate from the Market, didn't touch these buggers.

Thanks,
cb

Last edited:

jev

Reaction score
I've noticed this a lot myself. Not sure why they're set at that date but a lot are.

nollid

Reaction score
My phone did this yesterday. The time was an hour and twenty minutes fast, my texts show it as 1969..1970 now, the texts align differently, even the messages in each thread. Pictures stay at the bottom and I must scroll up for messages. A locked message stays above everything else. I also noticed that my phone seemed to be hot after having music playing for a bit. Pandora wouldn't open either.

I'm not sure if its relevant, but my phone had a slight fall yesterday. It turned off and I turned it back on. My date was set to the correct date but still displayed the 1969/1970 in texts. Automatic was turned off

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
My phone did this yesterday. The time was an hour and twenty minutes fast, my texts show it as 1969..1970 now, the texts align differently, even the messages in each thread. Pictures stay at the bottom and I must scroll up for messages. A locked message stays above everything else. I also noticed that my phone seemed to be hot after having music playing for a bit. Pandora wouldn't open either.

I'm not sure if its relevant, but my phone had a slight fall yesterday. It turned off and I turned it back on. My date was set to the correct date but still displayed the 1969/1970 in texts. Automatic was turned off

How slight of a fall was it? Might want to try a factory data reset on this and see if that gets everything working right.

nollid

Reaction score
Well it was really more of a slow roll off of a few things, but now it seems to be running fine. The texts are back the way they were and the date is fixed

nikkik

Reaction score
I, too, was born in 1969 -- it was a good year! But strangely, I have several emails on my Droid that I'm unable to delete that are dated 12/31/1969. And there's someone else who reported texts that they can't delete that are dated 12/31/1969. It's a little creepy!