Rooted Droid shuts itself off and goes back in time to 1969...?

RedBull

Reaction score
I recently rooted my Droid and have done a few additions and tweaks. The last two days, around 1pm, my time, my phone shuts itself off. The only way to turn it back on is battery pull, and then turn it on. When it comes up, it's 5:01pm, Dec 31st, 1969.

After resetting date and time zone, it goes back to normal...but...is this "normal" that it's happening?

What kind of information do I need to provide so I can start trying to hunt down the cause of this problem?

OP
RedBull

RedBull

Reaction score
lmao...nice response! I wish it was so simple! Cuz then I'd just go with it...but 1969? There's gotta be a better year...

Any other thoughts?

OP
RedBull

RedBull

Reaction score
Hey Mods...maybe this should be moved to Hacking section for the Rescue Squad?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
lmao...nice response! I wish it was so simple! Cuz then I'd just go with it...but 1969? There's gotta be a better year...

Any other thoughts?

Well I was born in 69, so I think you will be a little hard pressed to find a better year :D

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
1969 is when the Apollo mission found the Droid at the base of the Monolith.....

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Moved you to the Rescue Squad Redbull. Lets put these boys to work : )

Good luck.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I recently rooted my Droid and have done a few additions and tweaks. The last two days, around 1pm, my time, my phone shuts itself off. The only way to turn it back on is battery pull, and then turn it on. When it comes up, it's 5:01pm, Dec 31st, 1969.

After resetting date and time zone, it goes back to normal...but...is this "normal" that it's happening?

What kind of information do I need to provide so I can start trying to hunt down the cause of this problem?

All sillyness aside, no it's not normal. What were your tweaks and additions?
Also, is this a one time thing or will it do it on subsequent reboots?

Last edited:
OP
RedBull

RedBull

Reaction score
Ty Cereal Killer.

I'll be as specific as I can to help start working on this.

I am using ChevyNo.1's SSv2.0.2 ROM. I wiped the phone and installed it as per his instructions. I then used the update.zip process to upgrade to his 10 slot 1.2ghz kernel.

I have the Helix Launcher installed, the blue ese53 theme applied, and a seperate theme that changes the pulldown bar look.

Three nights ago, I did a wipe and installed the new SSv2.0.3 ROM, but had a couple issues, so I re-wiped and put 2.0.2 back on. Then applied my kernel, themes, and the launcher.

As to how often it does it, the last two days, Tues and Weds, right around noon to 1pm (was at work and didn't see the official time) the phone shuts itself off. I have to pull the battery because it won't turn back on otherwise. When the phone comes back up, it's Dec. 31, 1969 and showing 5:01 pm. I have to manually change my time zone because I'm in Arizona and our DST does not change.

Then...all seems good...no issues. It's 2-3 hours away from *possibly* happening again today.

In my sig I have links to most of the things I've done with my phone.

As far as apps I have installed...there are probably 35-40...do you want me to list them all? It's not a problem, just not sure if you wanna see them all...lol

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Ty Cereal Killer.

I'll be as specific as I can to help start working on this.

I am using ChevyNo.1's SSv2.0.2 ROM. I wiped the phone and installed it as per his instructions. I then used the update.zip process to upgrade to his 10 slot 1.2ghz kernel.

I have the Helix Launcher installed, the blue ese53 theme applied, and a seperate theme that changes the pulldown bar look.

Three nights ago, I did a wipe and installed the new SSv2.0.3 ROM, but had a couple issues, so I re-wiped and put 2.0.2 back on. Then applied my kernel, themes, and the launcher.

As to how often it does it, the last two days, Tues and Weds, right around noon to 1pm (was at work and didn't see the official time) the phone shuts itself off. I have to pull the battery because it won't turn back on otherwise. When the phone comes back up, it's Dec. 31, 1969 and showing 5:01 pm. I have to manually change my time zone because I'm in Arizona and our DST does not change.

Then...all seems good...no issues. It's 2-3 hours away from *possibly* happening again today.

In my sig I have links to most of the things I've done with my phone.

As far as apps I have installed...there are probably 35-40...do you want me to list them all? It's not a problem, just not sure if you wanna see them all...lol

No wont need them all. What was the last thing you did before this happened? Was it just reverting to SS2.0.2 and retheming, or did you install any new apps?

OP
RedBull

RedBull

Reaction score
The only new apps that I've downloaded since reflashing the SS2.0.2 rom have been:

Better Cut (found a wicked set of custom Carbon Fiber icons)
Galatika Defense (haven't even played it)
Speed Test
Tech Buzz
Swype Beta

Helix Launcher was downloaded Tues am prior to first reboot/crash. I had previously tried the 2.1 launcher because I liked the 3d cube effect, but it really has issues with our Droids. That launcher was removed when I wiped.

Wonder if the Helix Launcher might be the issue...it was the last thing I downloaded and installed on Tues when my phone first experienced this problem.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
The only new apps that I've downloaded since reflashing the SS2.0.2 rom have been:

Better Cut (found a wicked set of custom Carbon Fiber icons)
Galatika Defense (haven't even played it)
Speed Test
Tech Buzz
Swype Beta

Helix Launcher was downloaded Tues am prior to first reboot/crash. I had previously tried the 2.1 launcher because I liked the 3d cube effect, but it really has issues with our Droids. That launcher was removed when I wiped.

Wonder if the Helix Launcher might be the issue...it was the last thing I downloaded and installed on Tues when my phone first experienced this problem.

Are you running Helix Launcher or Helix Launcher2? I can't even get HL2 to work for me. Did you get it from the market or from xda? Since it was the last thing you installed before the issue I would try unistalling, do a reboot then see if it happens again. I'm running this Helix Launcher as well on SS 2.0.3 with no issues. It could have been a bad download.

OP
RedBull

RedBull

Reaction score
I downloaded it from the market, it was just Helix Launcher. Had the red icon. In Manage Apps, it says version 9. According to the market, it's just Helix Launcher.

I'll uninstall, reboot, then reinstall...see if that helps. Sucks tho...all the custom icons and everything are gonna go bye bye...but if it fixes it, then it's worth it.