Rooted but can't boot into recovery

LSDangio

Reaction score
I have been rooted from the beginning and have flashed numerous Roms without any problem, but suddenly when I try to do anything in ROM Manager I get the error "An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!" My drawer is still showing Superuser Permissions and I'm pretty sure my overclocking is still in effect, but am unable to reboot into recovery, flash a new rom, or anything of the sort.

Does anyone know the solution or where to find the solution to this problem?

Thank you.

shmoo

Reaction score
First thing I would do is go into ROM manager and in I believe its setting choose fix permissions. Give that a try and let us know.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
L

LSDangio

Reaction score
I'm getting the same error when I press Fix Permissions. Just a little extra info... I'm running FRG22D. I'm not sure if the problem is due to that. I think I came from the last Bugless Beast before the 2.2 builds. Hope this helps. Thanks for the help.

shmoo

Reaction score
So you're saying that the last bugless you ran was a 2.1 build? The next thing is to try and flash an older version of clockwork.

sent from my OG Avalon Droid using Droid Forums app

OP
L

LSDangio

Reaction score
Same problem. I am getting the error for everything in ROM Manager top to bottom. I can download a ROM but as soon as I get past the "Wipe/Backup Option" screen I get the error.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you run an update.zip? Like a stock frg22d vzw update?
Sounds like you lost root.
If you have terminal type su and see if the $ changes to #.

Sent from OG Droid using the Droidforums App.

shmoo

Reaction score
I'm assuming then that you've tried flashing SPRecovery then. If not try that, I tend to stick to SPR myself. Ill do some looking around and see if I can find another solution in the meantime.

OP
L

LSDangio

Reaction score
When I type su into terminal I get su:permission denied and then the $ prompt. I got to this version through ROM Manager. I downloaded the 'Verizon Droid 2.2 FRG01B" image under 'Stock Images' chose SuperUser 2.2 as an option. I still have SuperUser. When I open it, it says that it is giving permissions to SetCPU and ROM Manager. I tried to press ROM Manager in Superuser and Forget the permissions and then re-permit ROM Manager but this didn't help.

OP
L

LSDangio

Reaction score
I did try to flash SPRecovery but it won't let me. Also, even if I try to manually boot into recovery (power on while holding X) it just gives me a screen with a triangle with an exclamation point and a picture of a droid (i assume this is an error window) and the only way I can bypass this is to do a battery pull and reboot.

shmoo

Reaction score
That screens isn't an error screen. That's the stock screen which means that you've lost root.

OP
L

LSDangio

Reaction score
Okay, that makes sense. Anyway, what is the simplest way to re-root? I haven't rooted since DMUpdater 1.0 which was very easy. I am not sure if there are any analogous applications currently available, preferably free. If not, I'll dish out a few bucks. I would use an RSDLite or something like that but I am a Mac user. Thank you for your help.

shmoo

Reaction score
That's what I first used to root as well. I don't know if it will work for you but you can try going to droidmod.org. they have DMupdater 12 on there. I think its like the 3rd post down....you'll see it. You can try that. If it doesn't work then search the forums for a guide for rooting without using a computer.

OP
L

LSDangio

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the quick and helpful responses, shmoo. I hope I can get to the bottom of this.

shmoo

Reaction score
Anytime bud that's what we are here for. Ill do what I can to help you out