1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Root/UnRoot help, please!

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR Hacks' started by Tsip85, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Tsip85

Tsip85 New Member

Greetings all. I've been away from the forum for far too long and seemed to have lost all "know how!" I rooted my RAZR MAXX as soon as I got it back in Feburary. I believe I used Matt's Utility version 1.4 to do so. Well, I had a problem with the screen on it and now it is going back to the factory. I have already been sent a "new" phone, but I know I need to get my old one un-rooted before I can send it back. I have the utility saved on an external hard drive, but I do not have the same computer that I used when I rooted my phone. what's the best way to get back to stock so I can turn it in and get my "new" RAZR up and running? Thanks for all suggestions!!!
  2. jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun Well-Known Member

Welcome back to the forum. If you still have the utility's zip file on an external hard drive then copy the .zip to your new computer, extract the .zip to its own folder and run the .bat file and select the unroot option (I'm assuming version 1.4 had a unroot option...I don't remember and have long ago deleted it). Make sure you have the Moto drivers installed on your new computer also. What version are you running of the software are you running?
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  3. Tsip85

Tsip85 New Member

yeah...I've tried that and the utility says it can't find specified path. I was on GB when I rooted, but I recently used Voodoo to temp un-root and push the OTA to ICS. Now that I'm on ICS, do I need a different utility to unroot?
  4. doniago

doniago Member

Voodoo's been working fine for me under ICS, FWIW.
  5. Tsip85

Tsip85 New Member

Yeah, voodoo worked just fine for me. I just can't get the utility to un-root my phone. It's like it's not recognizing that my phone is plugged in when I hit option 3 (unroot).

Because I'm on ICS now, do I need new drivers or something? My computer recognizes that my RAZR is plugged in, so I know it has drivers to read the phone....
  6. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Premium Member

Could you not use Voodoo to temporarily unroot and then just delete the root backup?
  7. Sydman

Do you have the drivers installed and the phone with USB debugging on, plus install applications from unknown sources, and finally if you are on ICS phone on MTP mode. Then the utility should be extracted to the root of C: with its own folder, or even with all the files in the root of C: if you want.
  8. Tsip85

Tsip85 New Member

Yes, yes, and yes. I extracted all of the utility to my desktop.
  9. jpcalhoun

Yes you do. If you are now running .211 (the most recent update) you need to download and install RazrUtility 1.8 (available in a thread just below this one), install the utility on your computer and run option 1, restore to .211. There is no unroot option with .211 and the current version of the RazrUtility. This method is recommended by the developer of the RazrUtility.
  10. Sydman

Good, good, and good. I would try the C: drive, people have had better luck with that.
  11. Sydman

Actually that is a great idea if you are sending it back anyway. That way you know it will be completely clean. Way to think outside the box JP.
  12. Tsip85

Tsip85 New Member

IDK...will this unroot the phone? I don't care how I go about doing it...just don't want to lose my warranty when I turn the phone in!
  13. MattyP

MattyP Rescue Squad

+1 ^^^ I agree ... run Version 1.8 with option 1, then I would also do a wipe data and cache from Moto Recovery and just to be safe do a Factory Data Reset after that ... should be like it came out of the box then. :)
  14. jpcalhoun

Download and install RazrUtility 1.8 and run option 1...restore to .211. Any other method may break root but it may not remove superuser or busybox or the root backup... all of which will be big RED FLAGS to a Verizon tech.
  15. Tsip85

Tsip85 New Member

Thanks, JP, downloading 1.8 now. I live out in the sticks and we have wireless internet out here. Shows it will take 3 hrs to DL!!!! Guess I'll be checking back this evening. Once I run option 1 (restore to .211), will that remove root? Is that all I will need to do? Also, I need to pull my SD and SIM card from my old phone and put them both in my new phone to get it up and running. Should I un-root the old one first, then after replacing the SIM card into the new phone, use the same utility to root the new phone?
  16. jpcalhoun

Your welcome. Yes, running the restore option in 1.8 will put your phone back to stock. In a post just above this one MattyP makes a good suggestion...wipe data/cache and do a Factory Reset...that will clean up any residue that might be left on the phone. You don't have to do it...but it won't hurt...make sure you're restored before you do the wipe and factory reset though. Restore then pull your sim and sd card.
  17. Tsip85

Tsip85 New Member

OK, only took ALL NIGHT to DL the utility, but I got it and have restored the RAZR back to stock. Now I want to wipe it in MotoRecovery, but I'm not sure how to get into Recovery on this phone. Somebody tell me how, please??
  18. Sydman

Power off the phone. Hold the volume up and down at the same time and press the power button, hit the volume down to go to recovery and volume up to select it. When it gets to the Droid guy press the volume up and down to enter menu.
  19. Tsip85

Tsip85 New Member

Thanks for all the help. I got the old RAZR reverted back to stock and wiped clean. I'm currently setting up my new RAZR now. Time to Root! Although I had the other RAZR rooted, I hadn't really gotten around to dioing anything with it because I was so happy with how it ran and the battery life. The only thing I was lacking was a tethering app like I had on my OG Droid. So, after rooting, any suggestions on some "must haves" to throw on there?
  20. jpcalhoun

Well, I'd recommend Titanium Backup to start with. It's a good app to freeze (note I said freeze, please do not delete apps anytime...just freeze or move them to somewhere you can find them...you'll need them for the OTA updates). There are other apps in GooglePlay that do the samething, but Titanium Backup is kinda the standard. If you're going to flash ROMs (there is a good list available for .211 on Droidrzr.com) then you will need Bootstrap or Safestrap (it will depend on the ROM as to which to use, the developer of the ROM normally specifies which one to use...but don't have both installed at the same time). I'm rooted and the only thing I've done is freeze some apps and I use the root version of Apex Launcher. Go to Google Play and do a search for "root apps" and it will give you a pretty comprehensive list of apps that require root.
Search tags for this page
cheat japan life android unrooted phone

differance between rooted and unrooted android

help to root and to unroot

sqlite manager for unrooted android device