Root/UnRoot help, please!

Tsip85

Reaction score
Greetings all. I've been away from the forum for far too long and seemed to have lost all "know how!" I rooted my RAZR MAXX as soon as I got it back in Feburary. I believe I used Matt's Utility version 1.4 to do so. Well, I had a problem with the screen on it and now it is going back to the factory. I have already been sent a "new" phone, but I know I need to get my old one un-rooted before I can send it back. I have the utility saved on an external hard drive, but I do not have the same computer that I used when I rooted my phone. what's the best way to get back to stock so I can turn it in and get my "new" RAZR up and running? Thanks for all suggestions!!!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Greetings all. I've been away from the forum for far too long and seemed to have lost all "know how!" I rooted my RAZR MAXX as soon as I got it back in Feburary. I believe I used Matt's Utility version 1.4 to do so. Well, I had a problem with the screen on it and now it is going back to the factory. I have already been sent a "new" phone, but I know I need to get my old one un-rooted before I can send it back. I have the utility saved on an external hard drive, but I do not have the same computer that I used when I rooted my phone. what's the best way to get back to stock so I can turn it in and get my "new" RAZR up and running? Thanks for all suggestions!!!
Welcome back to the forum. If you still have the utility's zip file on an external hard drive then copy the .zip to your new computer, extract the .zip to its own folder and run the .bat file and select the unroot option (I'm assuming version 1.4 had a unroot option...I don't remember and have long ago deleted it). Make sure you have the Moto drivers installed on your new computer also. What version are you running of the software are you running?

Last edited:
OP
T

Tsip85

Reaction score
yeah...I've tried that and the utility says it can't find specified path. I was on GB when I rooted, but I recently used Voodoo to temp un-root and push the OTA to ICS. Now that I'm on ICS, do I need a different utility to unroot?

OP
T

Tsip85

Reaction score
Yeah, voodoo worked just fine for me. I just can't get the utility to un-root my phone. It's like it's not recognizing that my phone is plugged in when I hit option 3 (unroot).

Because I'm on ICS now, do I need new drivers or something? My computer recognizes that my RAZR is plugged in, so I know it has drivers to read the phone....

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Could you not use Voodoo to temporarily unroot and then just delete the root backup?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah, voodoo worked just fine for me. I just can't get the utility to un-root my phone. It's like it's not recognizing that my phone is plugged in when I hit option 3 (unroot).

Do you have the drivers installed and the phone with USB debugging on, plus install applications from unknown sources, and finally if you are on ICS phone on MTP mode. Then the utility should be extracted to the root of C: with its own folder, or even with all the files in the root of C: if you want.

OP
T

Tsip85

Reaction score
Yes, yes, and yes. I extracted all of the utility to my desktop.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
yeah...I've tried that and the utility says it can't find specified path. I was on GB when I rooted, but I recently used Voodoo to temp un-root and push the OTA to ICS. Now that I'm on ICS, do I need a different utility to unroot?
Yes you do. If you are now running .211 (the most recent update) you need to download and install RazrUtility 1.8 (available in a thread just below this one), install the utility on your computer and run option 1, restore to .211. There is no unroot option with .211 and the current version of the RazrUtility. This method is recommended by the developer of the RazrUtility.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yes, yes, and yes. I extracted all of the utility to my desktop.

Good, good, and good. I would try the C: drive, people have had better luck with that.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yes you do. If you are now running .211 (the most recent update) you need to download and install RazrUtility 1.8 (available in a thread just below this one), install the utility on your computer and run option 1, restore to .211. There is no unroot option with .211 and the current version of the RazrUtility. This method is recommended by the developer of the RazrUtility.

Actually that is a great idea if you are sending it back anyway. That way you know it will be completely clean. Way to think outside the box JP.

OP
T

Tsip85

Reaction score
Could you not use Voodoo to temporarily unroot and then just delete the root backup?

IDK...will this unroot the phone? I don't care how I go about doing it...just don't want to lose my warranty when I turn the phone in!

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

+1 ^^^ I agree ... run Version 1.8 with option 1, then I would also do a wipe data and cache from Moto Recovery and just to be safe do a Factory Data Reset after that ... should be like it came out of the box then. :)

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
IDK...will this unroot the phone? I don't care how I go about doing it...just don't want to lose my warranty when I turn the phone in!
Download and install RazrUtility 1.8 and run option 1...restore to .211. Any other method may break root but it may not remove superuser or busybox or the root backup... all of which will be big RED FLAGS to a Verizon tech.

OP
T

Tsip85

Reaction score
Thanks, JP, downloading 1.8 now. I live out in the sticks and we have wireless internet out here. Shows it will take 3 hrs to DL!!!! Guess I'll be checking back this evening. Once I run option 1 (restore to .211), will that remove root? Is that all I will need to do? Also, I need to pull my SD and SIM card from my old phone and put them both in my new phone to get it up and running. Should I un-root the old one first, then after replacing the SIM card into the new phone, use the same utility to root the new phone?