Root/UnRoot help, please!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Thanks, JP, downloading 1.8 now. I live out in the sticks and we have wireless internet out here. Shows it will take 3 hrs to DL!!!! Guess I'll be checking back this evening. Once I run option 1 (restore to .211), will that remove root? Is that all I will need to do? Also, I need to pull my SD and SIM card from my old phone and put them both in my new phone to get it up and running. Should I un-root the old one first, then after replacing the SIM card into the new phone, use the same utility to root the new phone?
Your welcome. Yes, running the restore option in 1.8 will put your phone back to stock. In a post just above this one MattyP makes a good suggestion...wipe data/cache and do a Factory Reset...that will clean up any residue that might be left on the phone. You don't have to do it...but it won't hurt...make sure you're restored before you do the wipe and factory reset though. Restore then pull your sim and sd card.

OP
T

Tsip85

Reaction score
OK, only took ALL NIGHT to DL the utility, but I got it and have restored the RAZR back to stock. Now I want to wipe it in MotoRecovery, but I'm not sure how to get into Recovery on this phone. Somebody tell me how, please??

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
OK, only took ALL NIGHT to DL the utility, but I got it and have restored the RAZR back to stock. Now I want to wipe it in MotoRecovery, but I'm not sure how to get into Recovery on this phone. Somebody tell me how, please??

Power off the phone. Hold the volume up and down at the same time and press the power button, hit the volume down to go to recovery and volume up to select it. When it gets to the Droid guy press the volume up and down to enter menu.

OP
T

Tsip85

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I got the old RAZR reverted back to stock and wiped clean. I'm currently setting up my new RAZR now. Time to Root! Although I had the other RAZR rooted, I hadn't really gotten around to dioing anything with it because I was so happy with how it ran and the battery life. The only thing I was lacking was a tethering app like I had on my OG Droid. So, after rooting, any suggestions on some "must haves" to throw on there?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I got the old RAZR reverted back to stock and wiped clean. I'm currently setting up my new RAZR now. Time to Root! Although I had the other RAZR rooted, I hadn't really gotten around to dioing anything with it because I was so happy with how it ran and the battery life. The only thing I was lacking was a tethering app like I had on my OG Droid. So, after rooting, any suggestions on some "must haves" to throw on there?
Well, I'd recommend Titanium Backup to start with. It's a good app to freeze (note I said freeze, please do not delete apps anytime...just freeze or move them to somewhere you can find them...you'll need them for the OTA updates). There are other apps in GooglePlay that do the samething, but Titanium Backup is kinda the standard. If you're going to flash ROMs (there is a good list available for .211 on Droidrzr.com) then you will need Bootstrap or Safestrap (it will depend on the ROM as to which to use, the developer of the ROM normally specifies which one to use...but don't have both installed at the same time). I'm rooted and the only thing I've done is freeze some apps and I use the root version of Apex Launcher. Go to Google Play and do a search for "root apps" and it will give you a pretty comprehensive list of apps that require root.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, I'd recommend Titanium Backup to start with. It's a good app to freeze (note I said freeze, please do not delete apps anytime...just freeze or move them to somewhere you can find them...you'll need them for the OTA updates). There are other apps in GooglePlay that do the samething, but Titanium Backup is kinda the standard. If you're going to flash ROMs (there is a good list available for .211 on Droidrzr.com) then you will need Bootstrap or Safestrap (it will depend on the ROM as to which to use, the developer of the ROM normally specifies which one to use...but don't have both installed at the same time). I'm rooted and the only thing I've done is freeze some apps and I use the root version of Apex Launcher. Go to Google Play and do a search for "root apps" and it will give you a pretty comprehensive list of apps that require root.

+1 ^^^

Also, install "VooDoo Root Keeper" (it's free) it will back up your root, and with one click you can un-root in case you need to take an OTA, and then with one click you can restore root. but the BEST root app is Titanium Backup, the pro version is well worth the money for what it does ... especially freezing apps and backing up your installed apps. :)

OP
T

Tsip85

Reaction score
VooDoo and Ti Backup are at the top of the list. I also use used to use Root Explorer quite extensively. Looking at the utility, I see the last option has a "leaked" kernel. For those of you that have installed it, is there any noticible difference between it and the stock kernel? Specifically, how's the battery life hold up on it? Before I upgraded my other RAZR to ICS, I was AMAZED at the battery life I was getting out of it on GB. Granted, I have the MAXX, I was still going two days without plugging it in. When ICS came in OTA, my battery life decreased drastically!!!

From what I've seen, I like the interface of ICS, but still think I prefer GB.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
VooDoo and Ti Backup are at the top of the list. I also use used to use Root Explorer quite extensively. Looking at the utility, I see the last option has a "leaked" kernel. For those of you that have installed it, is there any noticible difference between it and the stock kernel? Specifically, how's the battery life hold up on it? Before I upgraded my other RAZR to ICS, I was AMAZED at the battery life I was getting out of it on GB. Granted, I have the MAXX, I was still going two days without plugging it in. When ICS came in OTA, my battery life decreased drastically!!!

Yeap...VooDoo is a must (thanks Matty P I forgot that one) and Root Explorer is a good also, I forgot that I use that also. It's amazing how quickly you forget what you use without thinking about it :blush:

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I use root explorer also ... I love it for moving and renaming files. And since I went to the .215 leak my battery life is awesome, well over 24 hours on a charge, with regular usage ... calls, texts, and web. I'm lovin it :)

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeap...VooDoo is a must (thanks Matty P I forgot that one) and Root Explorer is a good also, I forgot that I use that also. It's amazing how quickly you forget what you use without thinking about it :blush:

I have 3 different file managers ... Root Explorer, Astro, and Super Manager. But Root Explorer is always the one I go to first. Been using that since my rooted Droid 2. :)

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I have 3 different file managers ... Root Explorer, Astro, and Super Manager. But Root Explorer is always the one I go to first. Been using that since my rooted Droid 2. :)
I have astro also but never use it. With root you can't beat Root Explorer.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I bet whoever created SQLite is making mad money off the peeps who want to bang Big Red on tethering LOL :p

OP
T

Tsip85

Reaction score
lol...that was my next question. What apps actually work for tethering? I used to use Wireless Tether when I was running a custom ROM on my Droid. But I noticed it doesn't work on my RAZR. Either that, or I just don't know how to get it set up right. Any tethering apps that I can DL that will automatically let my laptop recognize it?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
lol...that was my next question. What apps actually work for tethering? I used to use Wireless Tether when I was running a custom ROM on my Droid. But I noticed it doesn't work on my RAZR. Either that, or I just don't know how to get it set up right. Any tethering apps that I can DL that will automatically let my laptop recognize it?

Some are still having good luck with FoxFi.

OP
T

Tsip85

Reaction score
just tried FoxFi to no avail. I just DL'd SQLite and I'm going to try the hack I've read about. I figure if it works, more than worth $3, and if it doesn't, I'm sure there will be something along the way that I'll end up using that app for. ;)