Unable to unroot or re-root after OTA

magician

Reaction score
I currently have a couple phones stuck in limbo after the OTA to 4.0.4.

I had a couple phones slip through without installing Voodoo, so they have lost root. I have tried Matt's Utility to just re-root, and no success. I also tried every way I could think of to restore the phones to just start from scratch, and nothing will get Superuser out of there.

I have the .211 Zip on the external SD. I run Matt's Utility Option 2. (Every time, I will get "path not specified" a couple times, then it will finally OK me to install sip from SD). I data wipe/ factory reset, then install the .zip. I end up with a fully restored phone back at the select language screen...but Superuser is still there. And the root methods from the utility still will not work.

Any suggestions? Or better yet, any idea if a simple unroot utility is in the future?

Since most of my customers only root for tethering, I have just been installing FoxFi and telling them to check back in a couple weeks to see if I anything comes up.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I currently have a couple phones stuck in limbo after the OTA to 4.0.4.

I had a couple phones slip through without installing Voodoo, so they have lost root. I have tried Matt's Utility to just re-root, and no success. I also tried every way I could think of to restore the phones to just start from scratch, and nothing will get Superuser out of there.

I have the .211 Zip on the external SD. I run Matt's Utility Option 2. (Every time, I will get "path not specified" a couple times, then it will finally OK me to install sip from SD). I data wipe/ factory reset, then install the .zip. I end up with a fully restored phone back at the select language screen...but Superuser is still there. And the root methods from the utility still will not work.

Any suggestions? Or better yet, any idea if a simple unroot utility is in the future?

Since most of my customers only root for tethering, I have just been installing FoxFi and telling them to check back in a couple weeks to see if I anything comes up.

I would read through that entire thread on the 1.7 utility, you should see some answers in there. Also you say customers, so you are charging people for rooting services? If that is the case make sure and donate to Matt if you are profiting of his hard work on the utility, I am sure he would appreciate it.

I had the same problem with my phone and I used his utility to flash back to .211 install Voodoo keep root and install update then restore root. You are going to have to probably do a FDR though, so your customer will lose stuff on their phone.