Root status

jjhiza

Reaction score
Agreed...without a proper recovery, attempting this could be a death sentence for devices. I just wanted to put the knowledge out there for any interested devs to play with, but I'm pretty sure most of them knew about the Atrix exploit already...

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

superkeest

Reaction score
Im going to extract the img and have a look, im not an android dev, but i do have a cs degree.

OP
S
Reaction score
Okay and what about the gingersnap utility developed over at androphiles any body try it with or without luck?

jjhiza

Reaction score
Won't work. It was designed (like Gingerbreak) for 2.3.3 I believe. I tried both, along with z4 and super 1-click, and nothing worked. It's because a hole in the code was patched (I think), between the two versions, making it markedly harder to crack the bootloader. I think it's all part of a growing industry desire to regain strict control over data usage...someone will find a way around it though, and devs will be back to cooking ROMs in no time! :)

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Won't work. It was designed (like Gingerbreak) for 2.3.3 I believe. I tried both, along with z4 and super 1-click, and nothing worked. It's because a hole in the code was patched (I think), between the two versions, making it markedly harder to crack the bootloader. I think it's all part of a growing industry desire to regain strict control over data usage...someone will find a way around it though, and devs will be back to cooking ROMs in no time! :)

one reason they don't work is they are looking for a UID that doesn't exist. The code in Gingerbreak is set to seek UID 0.....D3 has a 5 digit ID.

OP
S
Reaction score
Oh okay didn't exactly know what gingerbreak did and how it did it. But as for the ATRIX method how's that coming along anybody?

jjhiza

Reaction score

Ordinarily, I would agree with keeping an eye on the xda threads for hacking work, but this thread has a couple guys who seem to know what they're doing, and no developer response as of yet. Honeslty, most of the serious dev work for the D3 seems to be located here (Droid Forums) at the moment. Woody is the only dev who has come out, and said, hands down, that he'll work on it, and get the Droid Concepts team behind firmware development. Personally, I think Woody and the DC team are our best bet right now, and I'm keeping one eye firmly on his posts, to see if he's come up with anything. I sure hope some more dev teams jump on this device soon though. :)

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I am willing to donate a few droid 3's to devs to help speed up the project. contact [email protected] I take this very seriously so contact me if you can help

You should post this offer over at xda-developers, there is a more active effort on obtaining root going on over there..

Can this Root Droid 3? - xda-developers

I would love to take you up on the offer myself, as I won't do anything that would possibly brick my Droid 3, but I don't think my skills are at the needed level...

sarreq

Reaction score
I am willing to donate a few droid 3's to devs to help speed up the project. contact [email protected] I take this very seriously so contact me if you can help
small note, unless you're looking for spambots to descend upon your email address like a plague of locusts, you should not post it in a public forum.

OP
S
Reaction score
True but most droid 3 owners I think can't wait to remove the un-wanted apps overclock and theme this phone correctly not the simple home replacement themes