Root Explorer, Help!?

Mr Bear

Reaction score
I just downloaded root explorer. Now I am wondering how exactly do I remove the pre-installed apps that verizon installed on my phone. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks in advance - Bear.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
go to system/app and change .apk to .bak then u are good to go

OP
M

Mr Bear

Reaction score
Thanks a lot.. I tried to remove some things but there's just SO MANY apps and stuff.. Is it possible that there's a list somewhere that can tell me what's safe to remove and what isn't Or a list that tells me what everything listed in the app folder is?

Jedidr0id

Reaction score
I didn't remove any of the bloatware. I just simply renamed them to .bak.

XxXxX

Reaction score
Any know the name for the media share apk to remove i cant find it?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just know when you go to do an ota it will fail. The ota's search for your stock apps (ehich is why I freeze them). To do an ota just flash an sbf to stock and then install the ota.

rectrix55

Reaction score
what is the difference between renaming them .bak and freezing them?

if you delete any of the bloatware apps like amazon or blockbuster will an android or ota update fail?

pool_shark

Reaction score
what is the difference between renaming them .bak and freezing them?

if you delete any of the bloatware apps like amazon or blockbuster will an android or ota update fail?

As previously stated, the update will fail if the pre-installed software is not present.

I believe freezing them just means they won't start, renaming is changing the name of the current file.
I created a separate directory and moved all of the unwanted apps there. If I have to update I can just go to that directory and do [mv * ..].

rectrix55

Reaction score
thanks. I didnt know if stock apps meant system apps or if that included everything (amazon etc...)

crichard0906

Reaction score
I just downloaded Root Explorer too. When I visit the App folder and then the app City Id. I get a message that says - Package Installer what action would you like to perform? The options are Install, View, Cancel.

I am not able to find the Mount R/W or Mount R/O Button

All I want to do is rename the app like everyone else.

Please advise

rectrix55

Reaction score
should be at the top of the screen.

I am a little iffy on what I do in explorer due to being a noob with the phone.

I know where the button is but dont know what Mount R/W or R/O does?

I also have platninum backup pro or whatever its called and you can backup everything then click individual applications and freeze them. it highlights the ones that are frozen so you can easily go back later and unfreeze. When you reboot the phone it doesnt load the frozen apps and it even takes the app out of the app screen.

crichard0906

Reaction score
Rectrix55,

Thanks for the reply. I emailed the developers of Root Explorer. They said they only way the mount button appears it that your phone must be Rooted. I don't know how to Root my phone. From reading this formum Rooting your phone is another process. R/W - Read Write - R/O - Read Only.

I am cautious on wanting to Root my phone. My luck I will screw it up.

However, if you have easy way to Root the phone, I am interested.