root denied superuser denied

as30young

Reaction score
Ota 2.2 update
Rooted with easy root then I unrooted uninstalled superuser. Next I rooted again with easy root. Said I was rooted but no superuser app. DL app to sd card and installed. Still terminal says denied. Can't use anything in rom manager although when I rooted the first time I did flash clockwork. What givs? I'm lost! I think I need to go back to 2.1 and start over? If I do this will superuser, and easy root be gone or will I need to uninstall first? Thanks rescue squad! I am new at this...but gaining lots of knowledge here.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Or maybe give us some more info to go on. What model phone? If it's the Droid 1, go here: menu -> settings -> about phone and tell us what the last half of the screen says. Also, when you boot into recovery (hold down the 'x' key on the hard keyboard while powering the phone up), describe what it looks like there.

Thank you.

p.s. I wish we could stop throwing around using RSD lite so freely, with all the problems and the finikyness of RSD Lite can't we look to something else first?

OP
A

as30young

Reaction score
Droid, 2.2, c_01.43.01P, 2.6.32.9 g103d8948, FRGOB1
When you say boot into recovery what/where is that?
I did do the rsdlit/.sbf and when I press up on dpad while booting it doesn't give me an option to use as admin. Just a black screen that says bootloader at the top.
Thanks again!!

OP
A

as30young

Reaction score
Sorry guess I just needed to read what you wrote again....I did the x and got a triangle with an exclamation point in it & a pic of a phone.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
If you are seeing a triangle with and ! in the center, that is the stock recovery and indicates that you are not rooted. You also said that the superuser ninja is missing out of your app drawer. So I would say that you are not rooted. I have been seeing a lot of issues for folks that are using easy root. I would suggest starting over from the beginning and follow the guide in my signature. That will get you root and then you can install any rom of your choice.

Let us know if you have more questions.

OP
A

as30young

Reaction score
Ok...I do have the superuser app still & easy root says I'm rooted but obviously I'm not. Do I need to start over by going back to stock?
Thanks again!!

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
First ditch easy root. Never use it again. All I have seen since it came out is the forums getting flooded with problems related to it.

Mods, change the thread in the news section?

Anyways, you ARE stock now. If you want to root, follow the link in dlwhtrose's signature. Read the whole thing, realize it's not foolproof, you'll need to use only box option 01 and box option 05. That alone will not root your phone. Then if you like go to my guides in my sig and use the one to root and install busybox manually.

good luck

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Or maybe give us some more info to go on. What model phone? If it's the Droid 1, go here: menu -> settings -> about phone and tell us what the last half of the screen says. Also, when you boot into recovery (hold down the 'x' key on the hard keyboard while powering the phone up), describe what it looks like there.

Thank you.

p.s. I wish we could stop throwing around using RSD lite so freely, with all the problems and the finikyness of RSD Lite can't we look to something else first?

I'm open to suggestions. What would you suggest?

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Follow the guide in my signature. It is very simple and step-by-step. Although some complain about it, RSD Lite is our most successful method to flash an alternate recovery onto a non-rooted phone and by doing so you will gain root access. I have not seen very many complaints about RSD Lite. Most problems people are experiencing is with ROM Manager and ClockworkMod Recovery. While I have been lucky with CW/RM others have not. The main goal here is to get you root access then no matter which recovery you choose to use (SPRecovery or ClockworkMod) you will be able to flash any ROM of your choosing.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Out of extreme curiosity, the one click root method, does it install SU to /system/bin or /system/xbin?

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
I'm a little late to this party, but it sounded like the OP's only issue was his su wasn't working. It sounded like he still had a custom recovery on there. If that's the case, the simplest thing to do would be to reinstall just su and Superuser.apk with the update.zip that contains nothing but that. If for some reason his Clockwork Recovery won't boot (I didn't read anything that indicated that -- just that ROM Manager wasn't working -- which it won't because his su was trashed), then flashing on SPRecovery with RSDlite would make sense.

Am I all wet here?

P.S. I stick with SPRecovery. Maybe there's nothing wrong with ROM Manager and Clockwork, but I don't read a bunch of issues with SPRecovery, but tons with ROM Manager and Clockwork. And EasyRoot just seems like a bad idea altogether. For a phone I care about, I stick with the original "flash SPRecovery, load ROM as update.zip". Rock solid, never has any trouble (for me). If you flip/flop ROMS on and off on a daily basis, maybe the other is more convenient, but that's just begging for trouble in my book.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sorry guess I just needed to read what you wrote again....I did the x and got a triangle with an exclamation point in it & a pic of a phone.

He has stock recovery.
RSDlite or sbf seems like the easiest answer to this.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted

I'm open to suggestions. What would you suggest?

I don't mean to go against the grain here, but I've had experience with RSD Lite since v2.x. Anyways if a person needs to unroot their phone, I've added a new link in my sig for doing so. It's a guide here that I wrote by request of pc747. IMHO using RSD Lite should be almost a last resort as the usage of it varies so much now that we have Vista and Win7; both 32 and 64 bit. It was bad enough when we had to specify that it only worked with WinXP SP2.

Anyways, you ARE stock now. If you want to root, follow the link in dlwhtrose's signature. Read the whole thing, realize it's not foolproof, you'll need to use only box option 01 and box option 05. That alone will not root your phone. Then if you like go to my guides in my sig and use the one to root and install busybox manually.

good luck

@ dlwhtrose, your repeat I agree to somewhat as indicated above. The only problem is that the thread linked in your sig needs to be updated for the Froyo builds. I.e. no one can use the SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf (the original name) file if they are on unrooted FRG01B. Or worse botched unrooted froyo using EasyRoot. SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf was ONLY designed for UNROOTED 2.1/ESE81 people.

The OP hasn't been back, so we can hope he is on the right road. Nice to see Doug here, though.