ROM Question

roaddaw9

Reaction score
OK I know that answer to many of these questions might be hidden in other threads, however I am having problems bringing them to together. So my ultimate question is how are people running ROMs on the DroidX. Right now I am running stock rom that was rooted via z4root. I am interested in running a rom, but once I do can I go back to a stock rom? What other information do I need to know? Anyone have a suggested good guide to how to go from stock / root to modified rom / root? Thanks for any assistance as I am a newbie at the DroidX portion of this. I did have my Droid1 with Bugless Beast so I am not completely in the dark however.

scarmack

Reaction score
Download Bootstrap(from the market)
That allows you to boot into clockwork recovery

then go to the ROMs section of this droid x forum. Download any rom you like. Im running the new gummy and its running great!

Each Rom usually comes with its own set of directions but usually it involves the following

Place Downloaded rom onto sd card
Boot into Clockwork
locate zip from sd
choose zip from sd
install zip
reboot
enjoy

Some require to mount the system, others require to wipe/factory reset. just read the install instructions included in the thread

Edit, one post instead of 3.

Here ill help you out.

Rom Section
Droid X Roms - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

ROMs are labeled [ROM] in the title

Here is gummy, what im running
[ROM] GummyJAR - Stripped down and geared towards SPEED!!!! - release 1.0 - 12/08

here are instructions that i pulled directly from the gummy thread

Install:
make sure you have root and clockworks recovery installed
Waring!!!! Make sure you are on 2.3.320 or 2.3.340!!!
-boot into recovery via clockworks bootstrap
-select "wipe data/factory reset"
-select "Yes -- delete all data"
-go back "powerbutton"
-select "install zip from sdcard"
-select "choose zip from sdcard"
-find and select DX/D2_GummyJAR-X.X.zip
-reboot

also be sure to see what system the ROM is compatible with. Here directly from the gummy thread it tells you.

GummyJar is built for and only tested on 2.3.320/340 based phones.... If you are running 2.3.15 you might have issues Don't worry D2users you are good

So make sure you have the right system update.

Last edited:
OP
R

roaddaw9

Reaction score
Thanks for the great post! Very helpful and started to point me in the right direction. One question is once you do this, can you go back or are basically stuck in rom land? I know the boot loader on the DroidX can very picky so wasn't sure on that portion.

scarmack

Reaction score
Youll have to flash a SBF. with the exact same bootloader. some bootloaders are 30.03, 30.04 i believe. so once you know what bootloader you have, find the corresponding sbf, use a program called RSD Lite. find version 4.8.

RSDLite 4.8 ----> Download now

Put your phone into bootloader
power phone off
hold volume keys while holding power
wait 5 seconds
release buttons
should be in bootloader.

Open RSD
locate sbf file
plug phone in
click start
DONT TOUCH ANYTHING
takes roughly 5-10mins
wait till phone reboots

also, heres a great post for more info.

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/12/09/droid-x-2-3-340-system-sbf-released-for-2-3-320-leak-users/
READ READ READ. then after your done reading. ASK QUESTIONS. haha . enjoy

Last edited: