buying rooted droid x tomorrow.....help with some questions

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
so i am buying a rooted dx tomorrow. I dont know how the guy rooted it or what rom it is on. I am somewhat familiar with rooting but not too much. I rooted my og droid and droid eris before so i have a little experience. But i am new do the dx, and i am wondering if when i get it tomorrow can i download an app (z4root) and unroot the droid x?

why you might ask? Well i want to go to stock so that i can get the gingerbread update from verizon here soon when they release it OTA. After that i was planning on waiting a few weeks until somebody has a really good and stable gingerbread rom and then root the device again. So basicly, can i unroot the droid x with an app no matter what rom is on it? and can i re-root it again once a stable gingerbread rom is released.? I have read alot about rooting the dx and people said you need something like rds lite and a whole bunch of other files and i was hoping to unroot and root with an app instead of doing all that other stuff. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Well I have a droid x and you use z4root to unroot or root/temp root...rsd lite is used to sbf back to stock rom

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
Well I have a droid x and you use z4root to unroot or root/temp root...rsd lite is used to sbf back to stock rom

ok so your saying i can use z4root to unroot it back to stock form and i should recieve the update from verizon. after that i can root it again using z4root?

Reaction score

ok so your saying i can use z4root to unroot it back to stock form and i should recieve the update from verizon. after that i can root it again using z4root?

Yes asking as your aren't on a custom rom...if you are you can just sbf back to stock

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
The ota gb doesn't have root as of yet, so if you unroot you won't be able to root right away (I'm sure it wont be long). You don't need to unroot I believe to get the ota but the ota will unroot you. Just make sure you're on stock rom and have all the bloatware and you'll be able to take the update

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score

Yes asking as your aren't on a custom rom...if you are you can just sbf back to stock

ok, well im sorry for being so dumb at this, but i dont know how to use sbf to go back to stock

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
The ota gb doesn't have root as of yet, so if you unroot you won't be able to root right away (I'm sure it wont be long). You don't need to unroot I believe to get the ota but the ota will unroot you. Just make sure you're on stock rom and have all the bloatware and you'll be able to take the update

its fine if the gingerbread wont get root for awhile, i know that the devs will get it soon, they are awesome. so im not really worried about that. I would just like to take it back to stock for awhile and get the ota gingerbread whenever that happens and then wait for a good rom. any suggs on how to do this?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well the ota is able to be rooted. There are some threads where you can dl the team black hat files. There are sooooo many threads on sbf for the dx if that's what you're looking for. If the phone you're getting is rooted and on stock rom, just z4 to unroot and you'll be fine

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
ok well i have the phone in hand, i have confirmed it is rooted bc it has superuser..... and wifi tether..... the guy said that i should still be able to recieve the 2.3 update even though it has root, is this true? also, the android version on this phone is 2.2.1 , is this the most recent version?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes you will still be able to get the update with root. Just so long as no bloatware was removed. The ota will unroot you though, but p3droid has solved this (check xda)

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
Yes you will still be able to get the update with root. Just so long as no bloatware was removed. The ota will unroot you though, but p3droid has solved this (check xda)

ok, so heres a dumb question. HOw do i go about loading up a custom rom on it now?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dl dx bootstrap recovery. Boot into clockwork and make a backup. Reboot system and find the rom you want, dl to your sd. Follow the directions on the rom thread (each one can be a little different as far as what to wipe) If you need a walkthrough there are tons of threads on this (also video on youtube) If you still need help, send me a pm and i can call you and walk you through

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you're not sure, don't mess with it until you are. Don't haphazardly mod your phone without knowing what you need to know. I would even learn how to sbf (get the files dl too) just in case. It will save you a lot of freak out time!