ROM Manager vs. Manual ROM Flashing?

rwking

Reaction score
So, I'm curious as to what the benefits of ROM Manager are? If you have to have Bootstrap installed even when you have ROM Manager, then why not just do it manually? What's better about ROM Manager?

Thanks! :D

Mamba94

Reaction score
I think the main difference is the interface. ROM manager is probably easier for people to navigate through.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Personally I think installing manually is better. The main reason is that it teaches one to learn how to do things with CWR. That can be very, very important if you end up with difficulties. Also, in the past (1-1.5 years ago) there were frequent instances where installs were actually better when done manually verses via Rom Manager. I doubt that is the case these days, but I've gotten so used to doing all recovery things manually, that I would never use a one click method such as Rom Manager. YMMV!! (just my opinion - and you know what they say about those!!)

revenge8

Reaction score
i do everything manually.. the only thing i use ROM Manager for is to flash CWR. Ive run into trouble with errors and bad installs with RM and id rather know for sure what i am doing when i click things like wipe data and stuff. Also i think manually is faster and less hard to mess up.

jayman350

Reaction score
I typically use RM when I am just flashing something that does not require a wipe (kernel, theme, etc), mainly b/c it is easy to select it from the list and it will reboot automatically after it finishes. If a wipe is required then I will do it manually, I got used to having to wipe everything 3x b/c RM would not always clear everything up and screwed up some installs.

The best reason to use RM is for backups. I am kind of OCD when it comes to naming conventions so I keep my backups pretty well organized. I like to know when it was done, and what it entails. My first backup of the bionic was 0924_Bionic_stock_noapps, pretty self explanatory. Again, reboots after its done.

rhyde82

Reaction score
I typically use RM when I am just flashing something that does not require a wipe (kernel, theme, etc), mainly b/c it is easy to select it from the list and it will reboot automatically after it finishes. If a wipe is required then I will do it manually, I got used to having to wipe everything 3x b/c RM would not always clear everything up and screwed up some installs.

The best reason to use RM is for backups. I am kind of OCD when it comes to naming conventions so I keep my backups pretty well organized. I like to know when it was done, and what it entails. My first backup of the bionic was 0924_Bionic_stock_noapps, pretty self explanatory. Again, reboots after its done.

you can do that the manual way also..just have to go in with astro or root explorer and rename the backup folder to what u want and it shows up like that when u want to flash... that's what i do

aieajudo

Reaction score
I use manual, i feel that you have more control of your device that way.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Concistency

Reaction score
I prefer doing it manually with safestrap/bootstrap, I know I'm doing the right thing and not jacking anything up. Always prefer doing it manually.