What's the difference b/w ROM Manager and Bootstrap

hafley66

Reaction score
Hi there, this is my first post but I have been doing research about flashing roms, backups, and everything else, yet I don't understand the difference b/w using Bootstrap for recovery vs. Rom Manager. Also, I don't understand the relationship b/w them and why I need both on my phone. I've already used Bootstrap to make a backup, but can I use ROM manager instead? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is the only subject I'm having trouble with.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

thebird36

Reaction score
i personally don't have/use rom manager. I don't think it works with the d2 honestly because it wont put me into clockwork or do what i want. You def want to keep bootstrap, you don't need rom manager imo.

OP
H

hafley66

Reaction score
I'm in liberty 1.5, and I want to restore to my stock settings that I saved as a Nandroid file before I flashed a new rom. If I go into clockwork, and hit restore and click on my backup file, will it go back into the stock OS

thebird36

Reaction score
did you make a nandroid using bootstrap too? and you could try it worse that will happen is that it won't work if something worse happens make sure you have titanium backup and back you apps up first and then try it out and see if it works. Make sure its on your google account and then sbf if it screws up your phone, so in theory you won't lose a thing!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For the droid 2 you must use bootstrap app to get a custom recovery to install roms. Rom Manager supplements the bootstrap recovery. You do not need rom manager but its a good tool to name backups and to boot into recovery. But you must have bootstrap or rom manager will not work.

OP
H

hafley66

Reaction score
okay I made a back a backup through bootstrap and rom manager so I actually have two. I'll try it out and tell you the results

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Better to make your backups in CW directly vs ROM Mangler should you need to restore one. With Bootstrap, ROM Mangler is just wasting space on your phone.

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
H

hafley66

Reaction score
It worked!!! Wow my heart almost stopped.

Better to make your backups in CW directly vs ROM Mangler should you need to restore one. With Bootstrap, ROM Mangler is just wasting space on your phone.

DroidForums Junkie!!

Thank you for clearing this one up, they almost seemed like the same thing, except everyone said to use it. Thanks for the help everyone, it's much appreciated :)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No problem, glad to help out! If you need to rename your backups (CW labels them as dates), you can also use a file manager like Astro. They will be in /sd/clockworkmod. Any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask :)

DroidForums Junkie!!