Rom for R2D2 running firmware 2.4.5.A957

quinnvanorder

Reaction score
I have been trying to find a nice clean and fast rom for my R2D2 phone, as the included software, even rooted is a tad bit sluggish...

however i cannot find a rom that says it will play nicely with my specific firmware.

any suggestions?

trook

Reaction score
If your not completely attached to the r2d2 stuff you can run any droid 2 rom. I think before you do you have to sbf or update to 2.3.20. Your phone is a droid 2 in a different case. I like most of the d2 roms so try them all.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Reaction score
You can definitely run any Droid 2 ROM after you SBF to 2.3.20. At least, I've run Fission and Liberty successfully... can't speak for the ones I haven't tried.

lvance1611

Reaction score
I just put the latest Gummyjar on my R2D2 D2 as it was using ROM Manager. It's my first custom ROM to try, and I absolutely love it. It still uses Blur apps, but everything I disliked about the stock blur contacts has been redone correctly in whatever version of blur is on this ROM, and the car dock app is a great upgrade.

My phone runs much faster and smoother. The only thing I miss is my R2D2 boot screen. I'm a noob so I'm still searching for a way to get that back.

I used the Clockwork Bootloader app for the D2 on the market, and the paid version of their ROM Manager. I was really taking a chance by doing it all on my phone, but it worked out fine.

Reaction score
I just put the latest Gummyjar on my R2D2 D2 as it was using ROM Manager.

Did you SBF to the latest Droid 2 kernel first? If not, that's good to know that it works!

The only thing I miss is my R2D2 boot screen. I'm a noob so I'm still searching for a way to get that back.
I'm working on an all-in-one package that will allow you to pick the Star Wars elements you want to install, including the boot animation. I also made a custom mod of the boot animation that replaces the Star Wars and Droid titles with the more awesome (in my opinion) movie-style Star Wars title. I posted it in another thread, but like I said, I plan to make a nice easy customizable package. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:

lvance1611

Reaction score
No, I was still on the latest R2D2 kendal, but that was a rookie mistake that just happened to work out. I probably wouldn't take that chance with the next ROM I try.

I would definitely try out your ROM when you are finished. I know there are ports of the Star Wars live wall papers out there...I just want to get my R2D2 boot screen back. I also have a couple of other animated boot screens I would like to make as soon as I figure out how to make them...lol

I haven't done much research yet, but is replacing your boot screen as easy as copying a file? I don't want to hijack this thread so feel free to private message me if you want...

Reaction score
I would definitely try out your ROM when you are finished. I know there are ports of the Star Wars live wall papers out there...I just want to get my R2D2 boot screen back.

Oh, I'm not making a ROM. I have hardly the skills (or the inclination, frankly) to produce anything as grandiose as that at the moment.

Over at this thread, I posted a mod of Team Black Hat's R2-D2 boot-animation-and-ringtones package. I included some other goodies like the live wallpapers, and retitled the ringtones to distinguish them visually from the other ringtones already in the phone. Like I said, however, I plan to offer a more customizable solution soon.

I also have a couple of other animated boot screens I would like to make as soon as I figure out how to make them...lol

It's actually quite easy. I'm sure there are tutorials out there, though I haven't really looked. If you take apart an existing bootanimation.zip file, you should be able to work out quite easily how it's put together. The only things that may be confusing is what the numbers in the "desc.txt" file mean (though the one in the original R2-D2 bootanimation.zip explains it) and the fact that the resulting ZIP file has to be uncompressed.

I haven't done much research yet, but is replacing your boot screen as easy as copying a file?

Yes, you can do that with Root Explorer, though there's a possibility that you'll have to change the file permissions.