HOWTO Install Any Droid 2 ROM on your R2-D2 Droid 2 and keep all the R2-D2 theme bits

Zottig

Reaction score
I determined that I didn't have enough space in the system partition to add everything in the zip file. I was able to get it working eventually... most of the screensavers FC as you mention, at least on the gingerbread rom I was using. I appreciate the help. I am trying to find the best GB rom for the Droid 2 and that in and of itself is hard to determine. My issue is the stock OS has so many issues on the R2D2... my phone reboots at least once a day on itself I'm just fed up with the stock R2D2 froyo. And I don't think the R2D2 will see an official update, which is sad.

Ben

hellmonkey

Reaction score
So what does gingerbread add? I read it added a few multi media things, but nothing I cared about. So, why does everyone want it? I did fusion with 34d eye black theme and LOVE my phone. I know team diffuse is no more, at least with support for the droid 2, but the ROM is fast and stable for me.

Zottig

Reaction score
Well I installed one that came out in March, it was called Monster_2.3.2_4.5.153_updater_Rooted.zip... I have to say it ran WAY smoother than the stock Froyo. I know there are newer ones of various flavors, but I don't know what they fix/break. It seems all the main roms are in some state of dysfunction so I still can't tell which one I'll end up with. The Monster one though was not bad as far as my testing could determine.

I'm just not sure you'll be able to keep the R2 bits going too far forward. Personally I like the C3PO face for the unknown callers... most people didn't seem to like that feature. Not sure if that'll endure going forward either.

Ben

GrandWazoo

Reaction score
Why would anyone want the r2d2 boot animation? That annoying animation is singlehandedly what made me root my droid and load a custom rom. Good luck to you if you ever need to restart your phone near people who are trying to be quiet (like any work or school environment). There are some cool r2d2 theme things, such as the basic wallpapers and sounds, but so much of the stock r2d2 rom is made up of one-time use apps like the hoth battle viewer and best of r2 video. As of right now, I have two original r2 sounds loaded on my liberty rom. I don't even use r2 sounds for my ringer, as I made a better star wars ringer using the cantina band song.

Reaction score
I agree that the boot animation sound is annoying (and in fact potentially disastrous if your phone decides to restart itself in an important meeting or during a musical performance) but one of the benefits of rooting is that you can decide what to keep and what to kill... for example, the R2-D2 boot animation sans sound!