riddle me this;how does a rooted device affect verizon's unlimited data/using upgrade

jwilly216

Reaction score
Ok i went to Verizon and i talked to technical support on the phone and they both confirmed the same answer;
I can give my mom my upgrade so she can get the S3 or whatever i choose.... That's confirmed and my unlimited data will not be touched.
The problem is when i take the s3 of my moms and go to activate the S3 on my line, there's the problem of my contract being changed and losing my unlimited data when they get me a microSIM.
He said i could go on craigslist and just trade for the same phone and since it has no association with our account i could activate it and get a new sim, no problem.

NOTE: he said ''I'm not allowed to say this'' but if you re-activate your moms old phone so the s3 is alone and then u root it before taking it to Verizon, that would keep it from changing your data plan. I asked how rooting would achieve that, but he apologized for bringing it up because he really should not have said that

What do i do now? I was gonna get the s3 today.or RAZR M

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
I am very skeptical of rooting stopping Verizon from changing your data plan.

OP
jwilly216

jwilly216

Reaction score
I got my s3 and kept my unlimited data! I found a loophole so now I can Use upgrades whenever I want

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
jwilly216 said:
I got my s3 and kept my unlimited data! I found a loophole so now I can Use upgrades whenever I want

This is the third thread I see this in....you gonna share? Or is this BS?

OP
jwilly216

jwilly216

Reaction score
bruben7886 said:
This is the third thread I see this in....you gonna share? Or is this BS?

I didn't realize people would get so wound up about me not completely explaining what I did- I explained it in another thread. I basically gave my mom my upgrade then stuck my SIM in the phone

The thread wasn't intended to be about the loophole so sorry for leaving that part out. This doesn't help the single line people but I just had to give my mom my upgrade, use the alternate upgrade to get the s3 on her line then put her LG dare back on her line and they just stuck MY microSim into the s3.
Using this method, I can use upgrades whenever I want and still keep many unlimited.

Last edited:

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
jwilly216 said:
I didn't realize people would get so wound up about me not completely explaining what I did- I explained it in another thread. I basically gave my mom my upgrade then stuck my SIM in the phone

The thread wasn't intended to be about the loophole so sorry for leaving that part out. This doesn't help the single line people but I just had to give my mom my upgrade, use the alternate upgrade to get the s3 on her line then put her LG dare back on her line and they just stuck MY microSim into the s3.
Using this method, I can use upgrades whenever I want and still keep many unlimited.

Just curious, no offence intended (after looking are my post...yeah...looks rude).
Either way, glad it works for ya!

1person

Reaction score
Just real quick. VZW is catching on. Starting last week you have to keep the new device on the same MTN for 24hrs, before switching to another MTN.

OP
jwilly216

jwilly216

Reaction score
1person said:
Just real quick. VZW is catching on. Starting last week you have to keep the new device on the same MTN for 24hrs, before switching to another MTN.

Maybe that's why the first store I went to said it was against their policy to immediately remove the phone from her line right away.so I said where in ur policy or in the contract does it give a time limit b4 u can remove the phone? He said it's not in writing but it's their policy. So I called B.S. n went to a different store in a richer neighborhood where they were happy to take my $300 n get get it all done perfectly.
The first guy kept saying what you're trying to do WILL work but people using an upgrade are not supposed to be able to keep unlimited

1person

Reaction score
Sounds like that person was trying to save their butt. Yes, of course it will work, but after last week's "announcement" to the reps, if they do it, they will get a huge charge back. (Basically, they won't get paid for the upgrade.) A full retail sale equals about $.05 in pay, a contract following the rules provides dollars, not cents.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Just to answer the original question, rooting has no effect on your line with Verizon. The only thing bad thing that rooting does is void your manufacturer's warranty. I have sold many rooted Verizon devices and none of the store reps (at 3 different stores) had problems with activating the rooted phone. One rep did tell me that if you bring in a phone rooted and ask for a replacement, they won't do it. However, if you unroot it and put it back to factory settings, they will replace it. For the record I rooted all my original 3 Droids and had to replace 2 of them, just unroot and put it back to stock before getting a CLNR.

1person

Reaction score
Reps make about the same as waitresses in hourly pay, so following the rules is always in their best interest when commission comes into play. They role it out, reps pay attention. Then you get people that will tell you off the clock, it will absolutely work, because it will. What's 24 hours if you like your rep? They're just trying to get fed and housed, as well.