Rezound / Razr / Bionic - Side by Side Pics and Videos

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
A few initial notes...
  • This isn't meant to be an in depth review, but to simply supplement some of the info floating around about these three phones.
  • All three phones are set to 50% brightness, running GO Launcher EX with ICS Theme, animations (windows/transitions) set to "fast" (Spare Parts).
  • All three are freshly booted, with only the app drawers loaded once already
  • The pictures of the screens are meant, mostly, to show the differences in saturation and color on each phone. The strongest "features" of each picture tend to be exaggerated by the camera and don't necessarily look like this in real life - do not forget that as you're looking. I'm a camera idiot... sorry. (taken with Nikon D5000)
  • The video resolution isn't the greatest, but again, meant mostly to show a glimpse of navigation "smoothness" and performance. For the life of me I could not get the camera to focus more than it did on the vids.
  • Every single picture or video shows them, from left to right, in this order - Rezound, Razr, Bionic
First pic... [edit] decided to blur out faces completely, but you still can see pretty well the differences. :)

DSC_0008.JPG

You can clearly see the Rezound is the most "muted" - yet I can tell you from my own eyes the most accurate with regard to the true colors. The Razr has a very warm feel to it, and is by no means bad, but is a little over-saturated compared to real life (unless my eyes see things under-saturated :icon_eek:). The Bionic is the brightest, and again, remember that these pics are taking some of these features and exaggerating them. The Bionic does not look that bright sitting in front of me - it's clearly the brightest, but in this image it almost "hurts", and that's not the case in real life.

Next pic... this one follows up the previous and simply shows a little more of the saturation of the Razr and, IMO, accuracy of the Rezound - and of course the brightness of the Bionic. Sorry the focus isn't perfect on this one. The couch looks especially yellow on the Razr in this one.

DSC_0010.JPG

The key thing I've noticed is that, despite it being somewhat muted compared to the others, the Rezound never looks washed out. Now, at times, the Razr looks nicer b/c it has warmer colors and saturation. But it's a give and take, depending on what you're capturing I guess.

Next pic... home screens with some color fades:

DSC_0019.JPG

Once again, "exaggeration" disclaimer applies, but again you can see some differences. The Bionic is the "worst" at showing the gradients, or fades, in colors, and that is true to real life, though it's not near as obvious as this makes it look. The Razr, once again, has the "warmest" colors with the most "pop", but some might consider it over-saturated. And yet again, the Rezound is the most "muted", yet handles the color fades and gradients the best by far.

Next... another homescreen shot at about a 50 degree angle - you can really see that extra white pixel on the Bionic come through in this one (again, exaggerated):

DSC_0014.JPG

Now for a couple of videos. The first one isn't too earth shattering, just doing some menu, homescreen, and app drawer navigation on each. I can tell you as I was doing it, the Razr felt like the smoothest experience, especially in the app drawer. I don't know if that'll be evident in the video or not, but since I could feel/see it while I was doing it, I can see it in the video as well. Either way, they're all smooth and a good navigation experience - the truly nitpicky will probably like the Razr better... at least until the last video showing the gallery. Hopefully I'm not breathing too loud or anything as I haven't listened to the sound... ;).

[video=youtube;L4wCC3FPRTE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4wCC3FPRTE[/video]

This last video shows something that I just don't get, especially on the Razr. You'll be able to see very clearly how much better the Rezound performs at navigating pictures and the gallery. I'm sure it's software, and not an "essential" issue nonetheless, but I find it interesting.

[video=youtube;lQtIquGiTRc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQtIquGiTRc[/video]
(thanks a bunch to SRR1138's wife for the video edits!)

Ok I hesitated even putting these up, but here are three low light pictures of something "busy" with multiple colors indoors. I hesitated to do this b/c it doesn't do the Rezound's camera justice, honestly. Also keep in mind that it took, maybe, 2 seconds to focus and take the picture for the Rezound, and right around 4-5 seconds on both the Razr and Bionic. Occasionally the Razr would get a focus faster than the Bionic, but generally speaking they were the same. Ignore the messy pack 'n play ;):

Rezound:
Pack-.jpg

Razr:
Pack-Razr.jpg

Bionic:
Pack-Bionic.jpg

One final note, please heed the exaggeration disclaimer, especially for the Bionic. This makes it look "too" bright and it really isn't. It's by far the most readable in the sunlight b/c of that extra white pixel, but that's also what causes it to look exaggeratedly (nice word huh) bright in these pictures. It's also supposed to save in battery life as well. I felt like these pictures might've made the Bionic look worse than it really is, which is why I say that.

So there you go... by no means comprehensive, but hopefully this, combined with all the other info swarming around out there, will help with some decisions... that is if you're not waiting for the Galaxy Nexus vaporware... :icon_ devil:.

Last edited:

cp24eva

Reaction score
Thanks for the comparisons. not that it makes a huge difference, but the zooming of the pics on the Rezound was really smooth and fluid compared to the ones of the moto phones. And the still pics on the Rezound looked more crisp as well. I don't know how accurate the coloration is on all three phones, but the moto razr and the rezound both took good pics. the bionic, not so much. it takes the best lighting on the bionic to get great pics speaking from experience.

jcardona1

Reaction score
Nice thread, thanks for taking the time to do this! It's interesting to see how much the Razr and the Bionic lag in the gallery app. My D1 doesn't even do that when pinch-zooming on pics. Strange.

rojo7905

Reaction score
I played with the RAZR and Rezound yesterday in a verizon store. Went to the RAZR first and thought the display looked really good. My first thought was how over exaggerated the complaints about the pentile screen were. Then i played with the Rezound. The display was amazing. Everything I expected after reading some reviews on it. Went back to the RAZR again and thought "wow... moto screens suck". I could definetly see the difference, and really did notice that it was a pentile screen.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm so stressed out about the decision to wait for the Nexus or get the Rezound now. On hand I would like to be running the ICS right off the bat, but its the camera that is whats really important to me at this point in my life. (lots of kids tournaments to record/snap shots of)

Thanks for this example it will help with the final choice.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
but its the camera that is whats really important to me at this point in my life. (lots of kids tournaments to record/snap shots of)

I'm in the same boat... it's nice to be able to take a quick picture and have it be decent, and fast enough, to capture a moment! At the same time, I really like the Bionic and Razr... but man their cameras are slow, at least when you need them to be quick ;)

hawaiianbrowneyez

Reaction score
well I have a razr and my gallery pics don't lag like that at all so it have to be a software issue with yours.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
well I have a razr and my gallery pics don't lag like that at all so it have to be a software issue with yours.

that's weird... I've had two and they both were like that - no matter what pictures I was scrolling through

but I definitely agree it's a software issue - could also depend on the resolution of the pictures you're scrolling through... those pics of my family are pretty big and high res

Captmilk

Reaction score
Awesome post...I wish the Nexus were in the mix too.....I'm really liking my Razr

cp24eva

Reaction score
that's weird... I've had two and they both were like that - no matter what pictures I was scrolling through

but I definitely agree it's a software issue - could also depend on the resolution of the pictures you're scrolling through... those pics of my family are pretty big and high res

But even with them being hi res, that's just a testament of how the HTC phone can handle that hi res pic. hawaiianbrowneyez POSSIBLY didn't zoom in and out with hi res pics. And to see two different moto phones lag in that aspect, I think it's more than just a software issue. I just ran through some of my pics and yes, they never lagged while zooming in and out. Did those pics come from the phone cameras or were all those pics taken from your Nikon and then ported to your phones?

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
the photos were from the nikon

the other pictures (in the first part on the rezound) are just a large folder of wallpapers i've accumulated over the years, some are higher res then others

cp24eva

Reaction score
Well there you go. Probably much higher res than what the camera on the moto or htc phones take. Just seems that the HTC handled it better.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I "rented" a Razr for 13 days ... between the display and the pictures I couldn't even deal with it until the Nexus launch. Decided to go back to me TBolt.

Where the Razr screen bothered me the most was with the whites - there is a grayish-green tint. The picture quality indoors with moderate lighting was pretty awful for me too. The pic above actually looks good compared to the results I was getting.

Last edited:
OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now I just have to choose one, sell one, and return one...

I can hear the violin's playing for me now... ;)

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
anybody know an easy way to add blackouts or pixelation to videos? my wife won't be too happy if she sees her face on here... ;)