Request for those replies to topics on multiple threads

cyber3d

Reaction score
Got a suggestion.

Can it be made a requirement that whenever one posts a reply like: "Do a search, there are 20 threads on the subject already" That they must include links to those threads. Otherwise, it comes off as a sarcastic response and provides no benefit at all to the reader. :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The flaw in that idea is this.... in order to provide those links, I have to use the 'search' function on the forum, select a thread, and copy and post a link to a thread I would have otherwise not gone to. All which can be done by the OP themselves :)

So we'd be like an automated search function? :icon_ devil:

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
The flaw in that idea is this.... in order to provide those links, I have to use the 'search' function on the forum, select a thread, and copy and post a link to a thread I would have otherwise not gone to. All which can be done by the OP themselves :)

^+1, yep. And frankly when someone starts such a thread (and I think most of us have at some point) they should be chastised a bit for it. Why should the people responding have to do the work the OP was to lazy to do? Hopefully after enough such replies they will learn to use the search.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

^+1, yep. And frankly when someone starts such a thread (and I think most of us have at some point) they should be chastised a bit for it. Why should the people responding have to do the work the OP was to lazy to do? Hopefully after enough such replies they will learn to use the search.

Exactly.... :)

Taina51

Reaction score
^+1, yep. And frankly when someone starts such a thread (and I think most of us have at some point) they should be chastised a bit for it. Why should the people responding have to do the work the OP was to lazy to do? Hopefully after enough such replies they will learn to use the search.[/QUOTE]

Please remember that in some cases instead of being "lazy", they could be knew to forums and may not realize the mistake. Correcting them in a respectfull way would apply to all and sets the tone of this wonderful forum.

M

Matth3w

People's first instinct is always going to be just to post without searching. Every single forum has this issue.

Now anything related to rooting and stuff I just direct them to my signature...it got easier than trying to write the same crap out all the time.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
With the same 5 questions we see every day, I think the mods/admin should delete the thread and point them to the search function.

That way we don't get another thread asking info that's up and confirmed and the poster of the thread learns about the search function.

The mods/admins are here to keep everything respectful and on topic, I don't think 5 of the same thread each day is on topic.... I think it's better to have all the information in ONE mega thread instead of being splashed across 6 or 7 threads. The information is important, but I think it needs to be in the right place.

Maybe the mods already do this and I'm just not aware?

cuskit

Reaction score
With the same 5 questions we see every day, I think the mods/admin should delete the thread and point them to the search function.

That way we don't get another thread asking info that's up and confirmed and the poster of the thread learns about the search function.

The mods/admins are here to keep everything respectful and on topic, I don't think 5 of the same thread each day is on topic.... I think it's better to have all the information in ONE mega thread instead of being splashed across 6 or 7 threads. The information is important, but I think it needs to be in the right place.

Maybe the mods already do this and I'm just not aware?
Had you done a "search" you would have seen that the mods do this all the time... :)

Just messin wif ya! ;)

You have the right idea, but I can say that it is a daunting task to do this. Despite having many Moderators on this site - the overwhelming number of posts make this an almost full time job keeping up with them. As a Moderator on another forum site myself - I can say that is is difficult at times to monitor each and every thread started, many times they have so many tangents and different directions that moving them or combining them adds even more to the confusion. Yes - I'll totally agree there are a handful of questions that just get asked over and over and over, and those posters should be not only chastised, but even more severe punishment (for instance - being forced to give up their Droid and use an iPhone for a week or so). ;)

Seriously - despite the numerous apparent duplicates of many threads, given the overall volume of posts on this board - I'd say we can all give a tumultuous gesture of gratitude to the Moderators here for the amazing job they have and continue to do to make this the most popular forum around! Thanks guys! :)

A very appreciative and grateful member - mikey :)

Last edited: