The "Use The Search" Police.

therock

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Awesome forum. I am not new to forums having started back when they were news groups and have seen just about everything. This place is fantastic. I am a virgin smart phone owner coming off an enV2 and am very impressed with the phone and this group.

I just want to comment or suggest on something I feel takes away from any forum. The - "Use The Search" Police.

When I enter a group and see the "Use The Search" Police used it disappoints me. There are actually a couple groups out there that ban doing this by non-moderators. It just adds to the clutter, the damage is done, you cannot take the post back, take the poster to raise and are are wasting your time in comparison to just moving on to another thread.

To its defense there will be members that never use the search. But if they never get replies they will move on sooner or later as their post just sits there.

As for me, I feel I'm here to give as much as I get so I do one of two things. (a) Move on. (b) Do the search for them and post the link with a note saying "A forum search turned this up".

Then there is the search function in its self. It is not all that great. Too many hits come up that are irrelevant to the query. I would guess several members told to "Use The Search" already have attempted it.
So telling someone to "Use The Search" is like a punishment sometimes.
When we do it for them and a search is performed in the future the link is in the thread.
When we just move on the clutter is kept to a minimum.

It's just an editorial opinion of mine to try and help out here. Not a RANT or baiting for a flaming. I really like the conduct and feel of this group and hope my little talk doesn't get me off on the wrong foot.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
First off welcome to the forums....

I do agree. The time it takes to tell the poster "do a search" they could have easily moved on BUT I will say in defense of the members here this is not a huge issue. Sure there will be the occasional one but for the most part they post links and say "this has already been covered"

So no your post did not start you off on the wrong foot : )

I think most members here would agree with you as a matter of fact.

Enjoy the forums and great to have you here

zerosignal0

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Awesome forum. I am not new to forums having started back when they were news groups and have seen just about everything. This place is fantastic. I am a virgin smart phone owner coming off an enV2 and am very impressed with the phone and this group.

I just want to comment or suggest on something I feel takes away from any forum. The - "Use The Search" Police.

When I enter a group and see the "Use The Search" Police used it disappoints me. There are actually a couple groups out there that ban doing this by non-moderators. It just adds to the clutter, the damage is done, you cannot take the post back, take the poster to raise and are are wasting your time in comparison to just moving on to another thread.

To its defense there will be members that never use the search. But if they never get replies they will move on sooner or later as their post just sits there.

As for me, I feel I'm here to give as much as I get so I do one of two things. (a) Move on. (b) Do the search for them and post the link with a note saying "A forum search turned this up".

Then there is the search function in its self. It is not all that great. Too many hits come up that are irrelevant to the query. I would guess several members told to "Use The Search" already have attempted it.
So telling someone to "Use The Search" is like a punishment sometimes.
When we do it for them and a search is performed in the future the link is in the thread.
When we just move on the clutter is kept to a minimum.

It's just an editorial opinion of mine to try and help out here. Not a RANT or baiting for a flaming. I really like the conduct and feel of this group and hope my little talk doesn't get me off on the wrong foot.
I do agree with you to an extent but its "policy" not "police"...
Edit: And now I feel like the spelling "police" :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Geeze how many threads do we have to have on this????

Just Kidding, but I will say this happens a lot less frequently then it does on oh lets say a site that has the CB name on it.

Now if it's another thread about 2.1 and when it's going to get here, I don't bother with the use a search I simply report it to the mods, who in turn close it.