Repurpose Your Old Android Device As a Security Camera!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

How many old Android devices do you have just laying around. You always said you were going to sell them, but now that they have been collecting dust the resale value has plummeted and it wont be worth the trouble. Instead of wasting time selling these devices you could re purpose them as security cameras!

The Alfred Home Security Camera app will allow you to use those old devices to monitor your home! Just install the app on your Android device and on your old device. The old device sits at home and monitors your place while you can access your new security camera from anywhere on your newer device.

Head to the link below for the download.

via Play Store

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
OMG, that's so cool. I installed it onto my Moto X and use the Turbo 2 to monitor. It's got motion sensor capabilities and pops up on your screen to alert you (see image below), it can be used as an intercom, has night vision, let's you remotely turn on the flashlight, rotate the image and switch from rear to front facing cameras.

a299ccb033c6b48d0e0758716d8c7ccd.jpg

Image quality is as good as you really need...

cae795971909ca39c2e928b7f6cd5dfb.jpg

I've found a very cool new toy! Thanks, DMX!

This could also be used to watch nests, as a baby monitor or anywhere you want motion detection.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
how does it have night vision when the camera on the phone doesn't?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
how does it have night vision when the camera on the phone doesn't?
Because it's not using the phones camera. The phone is a monitor for a security camera.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Might have to give this a go myself with the old S3 since it just sits around in a drawer when not needed as a spare. I was just thinking today that it'd be fun to have a camera on the dog's kennel while we're gone to see what he does all day...

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The audio works great too, being able to talk between the camera and viewer is pretty handy. So far this is a pretty cool app. My only worry is possible over heating issues with the phone being plugged in all day with the camera in constant use.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have two old Droid Eris, two Droid Razrs, and a Moto X 1st gen. I could have my entire house on lock down!

So if this doesn't use the phones camera, I need a camera for each phone? Or is it optional?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The audio works great too, being able to talk between the camera and viewer is pretty handy. So far this is a pretty cool app. My only worry is possible over heating issues with the phone being plugged in all day with the camera in constant use.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
On the plus side, many phones have the ability to shut themselves down at a certain temp to avoid damage from overheating, but it'll be interesting to see how it goes having it run all day.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I have two old Droid Eris, two Droid Razrs, and a Moto X 1st gen. I could have my entire house on lock down!

So if this doesn't use the phones camera, I need a camera for each phone? Or is it optional?
I'm thinking Mark may be a little confused. From the OP and @FoxKat's post, it appears to me that you're using the phone's camera.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have the G2 pointing out my bedroom window at the driveway, hoping that since it's still cool the cooler window will help eliminate any heat.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Set up my GNex. Both phones working well. The GNex is pretty warm, but I remember that phone always got hot.

Sent from my Nexus 6P