Replacement Incredible; Different Screen?

C4talyst

Reaction score
A few days ago I cracked the screen on my Droid Incredible. I was moving some heavy furniture around and am not sure how it happened; something must have pressed up against it while it was in my pocket.

The cracked screen made the phone completely unusable and I sent for a replacement through my insurance program w/ Verizon and Asurion. I received my replacement phone today, however, the screen seems different on this new HTC Incredible.

I swear it doesn't seem as sharp as the screen on my last phone. Does anyone know what the deal is with this...are they shipping HTC Incredibles with varying types of screens?

Thanks...

techguru

Reaction score
When did you get your first incredible? I thought the SLCD is supposed to be sharper but the AMOLED has richer color. Maybe your replacement is actually the older screen?

Alan

OP
C

C4talyst

Reaction score
I bought mine the first week they were available at Verizon. The older screen was much more sharper; I could not make out the pixels as easily. As soon as I powered the new phone on, I could tell the difference.

OP
C

C4talyst

Reaction score
I work behind a monitor all day and did a fair amount of web development for years where I came to be able to quickly tell when a table or some text was off by a pixel. The difference between the AMOLED and SLCD is night and day, in my opinion, and I would much, much rather have the AMOLED.

On the phone w/ Asurion now, whom Verizon sent me to for assistance...I can already tell this is going to be a battle.

Detonation

Reaction score
Man...I just read this right when you posted that:

DROID Incredible Shipping with SLCD Screens “End of September” - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I think I got bit by this...immediately I could tell the difference...the old Amoled screen seemed very noticeably sharper. Do I ream Verizon or keep the phone?

But did you read the last line? It says for CNLR's, you'll get the same screen type you originally purchased. Though I wouldn't be surprised is Verizon didn't follow that.

But if your screen is that bad, doesn't hurt to try another replacement.

techguru

Reaction score
I would argue that whichever you got is a bad one. The SLCD is supposed to be excellent. If it isn't sharp insist on another replacement.

OP
C

C4talyst

Reaction score
The difference here is that I can see the pixels on the new screen, whereas the old one was sharp. I don't think that's a bad screen; it's a difference of technologies in-use. The folks who never had AMOLED don't know what they're missing. I can tell just by looking at the fonts...damn.

Asurion was zero help; told me there was nothing they could do. Verizon tells me to go to Asurion. Tomorrow I'll hit a Verizon store, not sure what else I can do. Can anyone swap out a screen with the right tools?

Being lazy asking that last question in this thread; I will do some digging on my own.

Last edited:

dbu

Reaction score
The difference here is that I can see the pixels on the new screen, whereas the old one was sharp. I don't think that's a bad screen; it's a difference of technologies in-use. The folks who never had AMOLED don't know what they're missing. I can tell just by looking at the fonts...damn.

Asurion was zero help; told me there was nothing they could do. Verizon tells me to go to Asurion. Tomorrow I'll hit a Verizon store, not sure what else I can do. Can anyone swap out a screen with the right tools?

Being lazy asking that last question in this thread; I will do some digging on my own.

If it looks pixelated I can tell you that you have an AMOLED screen. I came from a d1 and was a little peeved that the AMOLED on my incredible wasn't as sharp as the screen on my d1. The nexus ones suffer from this same problem as they both have the same AMOLED screen. It has to do with the way that the pixels are laid out. So while the screen on the incredible has the same wvga resolution, it's effective resolution is less hence why you see the pixelation. You can google it if you want a long drawn out explanation. Basically AMOLED will give you better colors, but not as sharp and the slcd will he sharper but the colors won't look as good and visibility in sunlight will be better.

Sent from under your mom's bed

OP
C

C4talyst

Reaction score
dbu, my last phone was purchased the first week Verizon rolled out the Incredibles; did any of them have SLCD screens back then?

dbu

Reaction score
dbu, my last phone was purchased the first week Verizon rolled out the Incredibles; did any of them have SLCD screens back then?

No, the Incredible was AMOLED since its it's inception. They have just now started manufacturing them with SLCD due to Samsung not being able to produce enough AMOLED screens for everyone. Sounds like you may actually have a bad display, Lord knows it wouldn't be the first time. Just call tech support and have them send you another phone. If the person on the line can't help you just ask them to escalate the callcall and find someone that can.

Sent from under your mom's bed

OP
C

C4talyst

Reaction score
Yeh, the AMOLED was much sharper...on this SLCD screen, I can see the antialiasing much more clearly...sucks. Verizon and Asurion was no help; I'll probably buy one off eBay and then sell the new one w/ SLCD.

I've read arguments for both sides too this evening. Some think one over the other is better. I've now had both and would much rather have the AMOLED.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeh, the AMOLED was much sharper...on this SLCD screen, I can see the antialiasing much more clearly...sucks. Verizon and Asurion was no help; I'll probably buy one off eBay and then sell the new one w/ SLCD.

I've read arguments for both sides too this evening. Some think one over the other is better. I've now had both and would much rather have the AMOLED.

I disagree, I also just got an Slcd and it looks much cleaner and crisper. No more fake over exaggerated colors. I am very happy.