Replace included android keyboard?

myriad46

Reaction score
I would like to replace the included keyboard that is part of the liberty ROM with a stock GB version (Blur or otherwise). I have done this in the past and thougth the process was as easy as replacing 2 files, restarting the phone, running the APK and then selecting it. The files that I have tried replacing are system/app/LatinIME.apk and the associated library file, system/lib/libjni_latinime.so. I replace these with ones taken from another Rom, restart, navigate to the APK file, run it, go into settings, select "multi-touch keyboard" and.......I get continual force closes. Am i missing something. Are there any other filed I need to remove or copy over? Any help would be appreciated. Love the ROM, but can't seem to type worth a damn on the included keyboard.

michael7168

Reaction score
Did you remember to set permissions after you moved the Latin.ime apk? I personally use go keyboard with many different themes out for it

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
myriad46

myriad46

Reaction score
I have tried to replace it on a few occasions. One of the times, I did play with the permissions, and it didn't seem to make a difference. I'm thinking, the issue is replacing the LatinIME that is already there, rather than installing an additional keyboard. I've since installed the new ICS keyboard which is working for now. I'm suprised there aren't keyboard options in Liberty Customizer or in Rom Toolbox, to be honest. I've tried tweeting JRummy and KeJar about it, but they have yet to answer.