Regular phones intentionally look lame now

doublea500

Reaction score
i kinda agree with what your saying. look at Set Your Location (<-- verizon wireless basic phones list) check the phones they are selling. not too impressive of a list is it? but the reason for this is that at less money is spent of the research for basic phones now that smart phones are all the "hype". They make much more money on smartphones and companies like sprint, verizon wireless, at@t, completely encourage everyone to get their smartphones. put it this way, when was the last nonsmart phone, phone commercial you saw on tv?

S

SFGate

To be honest if I had to budget to 30 a month for a phone I would go with a non contract carrier like metro pcs, cricket, or virgin mobile. They have low end smart phones that are pretty nice. Plus if you root it and tweak some stuff, ie overclock.

This is my solution in the near future. I was quite happy with the first one or two cell phones I ever owned and my Razr was great as far as I was concerned, but then it came time to get a new battery. The one I bought online turned out to be junk and then I got hooked at the cell phone store. No more. I can buy another tank of gas to get back and forth to work with the money I've been wasting on an unnecessary data plan. :blink:

cruzincat

Reaction score
A guy I know has lots of free wifi available most everywhere he goes. He dumped his Droid and went with a dumb phone and an iTouch. Saves a lot of $$$ every month that way.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Texting is a 4000% mark up.
At 20 cents a message, you're paying $2,000 a mb.

S

SFGate

Also love paying for received messages that I have no interest in, did not solicit, and don't want to read. They tell me I can't block my number from receiving these money makers for the carrier. :angry:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes carriers are making money off of us. The mark up on data is sick especially consider the money they get from the government. But at the same time they dont force our hand. We can easily buy metro pcs phones and save money. But we all want that shiny new iphone, 4g android, etc. So we pay to play.

Natey2

Reaction score
Actually, you can block certain classes of text messages, e.g. those that originate from email or websites, which is where most spam text messages come from. Check the Verizon website for this option.

Also unlimited free texting options exist: textPlus, TextFree, Google Voice, etc.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
EVERY current regular phone has intentionally been made to look lame.
Proof? What you consider to be "lame design" isn't necessarily malicious intent. It's a lack of focus. The focus is on smartphones, as stated above.

I understand I'm in the minority here, but the way I see it, if you pay for a data plan, you are just giving them free money in a down economy. Just what Verizon wants.

30 x 12 = $360

I personally would not give anyone $360 for no reason.
You're just flat out wrong. I'm paying for data. Not for no reason. If you don't see the point you don't see the point. That's not the same as "no reason" and it's not just giving them money. If you know how to get data with no money then post details.

Reaction score
Vzw has certain plans for specific data use. Don't believe everything you read on the internet....especially from that Guy

Sent from my SHIFTAO5P using DroidForums