Recover photos from MicroSD

Fritzer

Reaction score
Hi All, new forum member & new Droid 4 user.
I did some searches & reading, but did not see any answers related to this.

I moved my SD card from a windows phone.
The new phone said it needed to be formatted - I was not concerned, and allowed the new phone to format it.
What the heck - new phone fresh start.

a couple of days ago, I needed the camera and took some pictures. All seemed fine.
Later that evening, the Gallery showed black screens for those pictures. I think it said error or maybe corrupt on the images.
I assumed they were lost.

The next morning, when I opened the camera, the small inset of the last picture - contained the images that I wanted.
I touched the inset and there were 3 photos that I wanted. I tried to send them from the icon at the bottom of the screen, but....

The phone began a nasty 15-20 minutes of chopped audio, 1/3 size screen displays, Horizontal line (like the shutdown) on the display.
I had read (before discovering this forum) holding the power & down volume.
The demonic chopped audio, and shrunk screen resumed. I repeated this several times - none of the touch buttons or top button did much.

Well, after several of these cycles - it did recover. Perfectly usable now.

A few questions - I'd like to try to recover the images if possible from the 4 GB SD.

Is there a system log, error log file anywhere to be reviewed that might indicate what the heck started the above?

Is the SD card formatted in a "standard" sort of disk arrangement where tools might recover the image files if I move it to some other device??

So I've already decided to get another microSD for use in this phone long term. I'm pretty sure either write errors or I/O problems caused this.

Looks like a great forum,
Looking forward to some suggestions.
Thanks.
Fritz.

amishdude01

Reaction score
Hello! Welcome to DroidForums! I'll try to help you out as much as I can. It sounds like your pictures are corrupt :mad:. Have you tried to plug your phone into your computer and see if they are viewable from there?

OP
F

Fritzer

Reaction score
Yes,
I tried to view from the PC connected to the phone. None of the 3 pictures that I want. There are 3 screen screen shots that I took along the way somehow. (hopefully the screen shots were not AFTER the corrupt images)
Anyway I got my new SD card today and inserted it, the droid saw it no problem.
I think it was an issue with that old 4GB SD from the windows phone.
I still want to attempt to recover anything that I can.

Thanks.
Fritz.

anntaylor789

Reaction score
Hi, if you want to take more new photos with your camera (phone), you need to change the SD memory card and stop using this sd card with deleted photos in case you may be able to recover them, otherwise you will overwrite the deleted files.

First download and install a photo recovery package. The following data recovery software is free: Recuva (http://download.cnet.com/Recuva/3000-2242_4-10753287.html), but others also works as nice as this free one. It depends on how important your photos are.

Then you can connect your sd card to your computer, and scan your sd card with photo recovery software to retrieve them.

You must not copy new data to the memory card, if not, it will lose the photos before you can recover them and you will not be able to recover them anymore.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Recovery software

Hi, if you want to take more new photos with your camera (phone), you need to change the SD memory card and stop using this sd card with deleted photos in case you may be able to recover them, otherwise you will overwrite the deleted files.

First download and install a photo recovery package. The following data recovery software is free: Recuva (Recuva - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com), but others also works as nice as this free one. It depends on how important your photos are.

Then you can connect your sd card to your computer, and scan your sd card with photo recovery software to retrieve them.

You must not copy new data to the memory card, if not, it will lose the photos before you can recover them and you will not be able to recover them anymore.

I agree with the above post. I have used R-Studio for quite a number of years but there are enough freeware packages out there that do the same thing, that you may not even need to purchase one. The data (if not corrupted), is still on the card and can be retrieved, often even if you've formatted the card. The surefire way to make that data unrecoverable is to overwrite it with something else, so stop using that card and put it away until you can get a package up and running to recover it.