Recover Droid 2 Data, Not Rooted-Newb!

eg146

Reaction score
I did the stupidest thing with my Droid 2 the other day and lost my apps and one that contained all my appointments, notes, and passwords.

I had it connected to the PC trying to get ringtones in the Android file which I did after 3 hours. Then I noticed they were on there 3 times so I went into Astro to try and clean the files up. Not knowing what the heck I'm doing, I cleared the data cache on a file called Contacts Storage which turned my phones service off.

Took it to Verizon and some lady got it working again. She said all my apps and data will come back since they are backed up by gmail-WRONG!

Some paid apps, like Docs to Go are gone as well as all the notepad notes, appointments, and passwords in the password safe.

I can't even find the login info for my own website??

I know, my fault for putting it into a phone and not on paper. But I see something in the phones settings that's checked 'back up to SD card'

How do I go about getting all this stuff back?

I tried plugging it into the computer and used USB mode but it wont open anything on the phone. Is there some sort of desktop manager like Blackberry had that allowed me to backup my phone and save it on a flash drive?

I can't root the phone because I don't know what I'm doing and can't afford to void the warranty. It works fine for me the way it came out of the box but I have to have a way to save everything without having to write it on paper and file it. Does that make sense?

So many people have been very helpful here, I'm praying there is a way to get my data back. I got the contacts back but they're the last thing I cared about recovering. Its all the things in Color Note and Kuffs Password safe I really need.

I even have Dropbox but that only took things back to November, thought it synced on it's own but I guess not.

Any help would be AWESOME! !! Thanks so much!!

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Did you try restoring things via backup assistant?
Unfortunatly the internal info in the apps will be gone for good. But apps you've paid for should be ready to download again on the android maret. They should just say purchased next to them and let you download it again for free.

OP
eg146

eg146

Reaction score
No I didn't try that because I was under the impression it only backed up contacts. The lady at Verizon took out the SD card when she fixed the phone but I don't think I had anything on it, or at least I didn't put anything there. Some data may have automatically gone on there but I wouldn't know for sure. I do know I lost 6 photos and the ringtone program I put on the phone.

You would think all the apps would be in the market file but the ones I paid for such as DataViz Docs To Go upgrade version were gone. That was a$ 15 app which I personally would never pay so much for yet for work, it was a lifesaver. I saved all the email receipts for my apps so I'll likely have to email the companies for a new link.

Is there a way to store some things on the sd card to prevent such a catastrophe from happening again? I did read you can't store apps there because it messes them up but the data from the note app and password app was horrible to lose. If I can't recover that, it will take months to get my tasks and information back on track as it is stored in different places and some things aren't on a hard copy anyway.

When you don't understand technical stuff, technology is the enemy-lol. Lesson learned :( thanks

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Backup Assistant is contacts only. As far as getting your paid apps back though... Open the market, press menu, press My apps, and see if your purchased apps are sitting there waiting for you to redownload them.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Backup Assistant is contacts only. As far as getting your paid apps back though... Open the market, press menu, press My apps, and see if your purchased apps are sitting there waiting for you to redownload them.
And if any paid apps don't download for you then contact the dev and give them your receipt number.