Recover bricked Samsung SCH-I500 "Fascinate"

Reaction score
reinstall dl09:

you will need:

1) odin installed on your pc (i use odin3, think there is a version4 also)
How to Upgrade Samsung Galaxy S i9000 Firmware Leaked ROM Odin Flash
2) the samsung drivers or kies installed on your pc
3) download the dl09 TAR file from here
Its not right that XDA gets all the love... ***OFFICIAL DL09 Odin Here*** - Android Forums

there is also a stripped down one at xda

4) open odin, in the pda box add the dl09 file, take out your battery
5) plug in usb then push volume down, you will see a "downloading" screen, if not keep trying
6) re-insert battery
7) press start on odin, wait for odin to show green pass.

your done. total time ~10 min

you can google various step by step instrcutions and videos on unlockr.com

Last edited:

kalkap

Reaction score
Still won't go into download mode

Still can't get the phone to go into download mode. I've reinstalled the drivers, even tried drivers downloaded from 2 different locations just in case 1 was bad. I've rebooted the computer a few times to reset the usb ports and they seem to work fine with other devices but still nothing happens when I follow your directions verbatim.

The only thing that it will do still is loop the AT&T logo.

This thing is jacked huh?

Reaction score
Still can't get the phone to go into download mode. I've reinstalled the drivers, even tried drivers downloaded from 2 different locations just in case 1 was bad. I've rebooted the computer a few times to reset the usb ports and they seem to work fine with other devices but still nothing happens when I follow your directions verbatim.

hmmm, the software should not effect going into download mode. that mode is hard set. make sure you:

1. take the battery out,
2. make sure odin is on,
2. hold down volume, (do not hold down power, only hold power down if it doesn't work after few tries)
3. plug it into the usb port,
4. then release power.
5. you can replace battery at this point.

you can not brick a galaxy s.

Last edited:

kalkap

Reaction score
e phone to go into download mode. I've reinstalled the drivers, even tried drivers downloaded from 2 different locations just in case 1 was bad. I've rebooted the computer a few times to reset the usb ports and they seem to work fine with other devices but still nothing happens when I follow your directions verbatim.

hmmm, the software should not effect going into download mode. that mode is hard set. make sure you:

1. take the battery out,
2. hold down volume, hold down power,
4. then release power.

you can not brick a galaxy s.[/QUOTE]

I posted a video to YouTube showing what I'm getting when attempt to get into download mode.
[video=youtube;bP9PNM_yc0o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP9PNM_yc0o&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

soccerdon1981

Reaction score
e phone to go into download mode. I've reinstalled the drivers, even tried drivers downloaded from 2 different locations just in case 1 was bad. I've rebooted the computer a few times to reset the usb ports and they seem to work fine with other devices but still nothing happens when I follow your directions verbatim.

1. take the battery out,
2. hold down volume, hold down power,
4. then release power.

you can not brick a galaxy s.

I posted a video to YouTube showing what I'm getting when attempt to get into download mode.
[video=youtube;bP9PNM_yc0o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP9PNM_yc0o&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video][/QUOTE]

I watched your video...maybe I'm tired but I think you missed something.

Plug cord in computer (not in phone)...
Press and hold down the DOWN volume key only and then plug cord in your phone...
Continue to hold volume key down

Do NOT hold down power button during this process...

You should see the shovel after about 5 seconds or so. If not, try it again!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, I originally posted just the volume button only should be pushed in step 5. Try just the volume again but have odin ready. You should see a yellow box appear in odin when you connect. Sometimes the power weel work.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using DroidForums App

Reaction score
Two things google download mode and try the different methods.

if not get ADB and promt adb shell: reboot download

That can't fail but a pain in the can.

praasch

Reaction score
I had the same problem tonight trying to odin the new clockwork mod onto the 2.2 update. Followed green lantern's post and got back to dl09 and restarted from there.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

praasch

Reaction score
Loaded the dl09 tar file into odin, battery out, connected cable, held down volume down along with power and I was able to get into download mode and reload dl09.

Thank goodness because I was flippin out thinking I bricked the phone...gotta love the forums....

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

kalkap

Reaction score
Ok, I think I've tried all those methods previously however I'm gonna try them again to rule them out for sure. I also just bought some resistors to try and make this download mode jig I keep hearing is suppose to always work.
I will check back in soon one way or another.

update:

Ok, so I went through and tried all of your recommendations and got nothing. I made up one of those downloader jigs and i thought I had a major breakthrough however, I tried downloading the DL09 via Odin, and it failed 3 times.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/rISRXT8W1mIooXdJRWZYGUb4KdsMhMP-GYHi06mQe9M?feat=directlink

Now, after successfully using the jig to get into download mode 3x, now it won't do nothing at all. WTF!?!?
This thing is seriously pushing my buttons

Last edited:
Reaction score
You are sure it is not a problem with your usb cable? I am out of suggestions after that! Could just be a problem with your phone. I have had my kids pull out the cable mid download and I was able to recover. Never could brick it. Sorry man.

ziggy484

Reaction score
I was at the point of attempting the jig, when all of a sudden my phone just started working again, no explanation. I had used one click root, then screwed up when tryiny to install the froyo... couldn't get recovery or download mode. Anyway if you can get into download again try adrynalyns d101 package, that worked for me some other time that I bricked my phone. GOOD LUCK

Sent from my stock 2.1 fully bloated Fascinate

kalkap

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the troubleshooting tips. I unfortunately have not had any success. I have tried 2 different cables but I think I can rule that out though because the couple times I was able to get into download mode, Odin communicated just fine with it. As I stated above, I was able to get into DL mode with a jig I made but got a failure during loading of dl09 3x and now my jig method isn't working. I posted a screen shot of the failure.
Anyway, I've ordered a higher quality jig and if that doesn't work, then I give up and will probably just have accept the phone is trash :-(

Thanks again for the help

ziggy484

Reaction score
If your new jig gets you download mode, don't try the same dl09 file that gave you the error. Again I suggest the d101 file from adrynalyn. There are other d101 files out there, I've had problems with some of those. The one from adrynalyn always works, then you can ota to dl09.

Sent from my stock 2.1 unrooted, fully bloated Fascinate