really poor battery life

litnib

Reaction score
On my droid X my battery is down to 30% after have in unplugged from the wall for about 4 hours. I would say this is under light use. GPS turned off WIFI turned off. Some surfing on web and reading probably using for about 1 hour constant. Also the phone seems to get very warm in my hand and very warm when charging (including charger) is this normal?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
One other thing to work around the battery drain bug on the X that may work: reboot after charging.

Other than that, uninstall task killers, antivirus, unneeded apps that run on startup, unneeded widgets, live wallpapers.

Dial *#*#4636#*#* to figure out what's using your juice.

Reaction score
i had this problem until i uninstalled the espn scoreboard app. as soon as i did that i had terrific battery life. no idea why, but this app just killed my phone. i barely would make it to 3pm with light use.

comer1434

Reaction score
I have much approved battery life since the update that came out towards the end of July. I would have to say its something being left on, or a bad application. Do you have a power bar up for easy access to see what all is on??

OP
L

litnib

Reaction score
not yet but perhaps I will try that today. I also turned phone off first thing after unplugging it this morning.

tj1772

Reaction score
The battery gets warm when you have multiple apps running. I would say a widget or apps are running without you knowing. If not sure, power off the phone and see if it continues.

paulmac

Reaction score
Do any of the posters here have the plastic snap in belt clip for the droid x? I noticed that where the clip that goes over the top of the X itself is too close to the power switch on the top of the Droid. As a result I noticed it must hit that switch at times causing the screen to come on, and not time out. Really killing the battery life. Today I am using my Droid X without that belt clip, and battry life seems to be much better. Since my belt clip is two days old plan on returning it to Verizon.

2xhighpsi

Reaction score
I know that as soon as I got rid of the Facebook widget and Youtube widget, battery life SIGNIFICANTLY improved. I honestly got only about 5.5 hrs of life out of the phone everyday before removing these widgets. Now I HONESTLY get at least 12hrs with moderate to heavy use; I browse the internet very often.

rfranken

Reaction score
I notice the days that i dont tough anything involving GPS even for a second that my battery does lots better.

tj1772

Reaction score
The biggest battery hogs on smart phones usually are videos and weak signals (searching). But this phone at least in my case is the screen. I've been using automatic for brightness. But I will try using manual setting.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I notice the days that i dont tough anything involving GPS even for a second that my battery does lots better.

That's because of the Droid X "no sleep" bug.

The first thing to try is:
phone settings > location & security > use wireless networks > UNCHECK

If that doesn't seem to improve battery life go ahead and CHECK the above setting but do this religiously:
-turn off GPS when done using it
-turn off WIFI when done using it
-reboot phone after charging it

All of this stuff should not be necessary. On my Droid 1, I leave GPS and WIFI on all the time. People have reported that this is fixed in the leaked 2.2 update for Droid X so after the update you'll be able to leave it all ON.

See here for more info: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...6788-droid-x-battery-problems-discovered.html

philnolan3d

Reaction score
You can also adjust the power settings so that it's in low power mode during certain times, like when you're sleeping. Look in Settings > Battery manager > Battery Profile Options.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can also adjust the power settings so that it's in low power mode during certain times, like when you're sleeping. Look in Settings > Battery manager > Battery Profile Options.

I changed mine to "performance mode" and didn't notice much/any difference, plus I get my email 24x7. YMMV.