Razr v. Nexus upgrade

Zandar

Reaction score
The razr is just a slightly better bionic. Moto UI sucks. The screen resolution is outdated. I mean cmom the iPhone 4 still has better ppi and it came out over a year ago. Galaxy nexus is on a totally different level. It actually feels like a current phone. Just my 2 cents...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

I take it you're posting from your extensive experience with both devices, like many in this thread have been?

Sliced from my RAZR

treyinga

Reaction score
I chose RZR MAXX and certinaly not disappointed. I think one thing that some people forget is we are not all tech guru's. My RAZR MAXX works like my DROID X, excepts it does not free up and it is fast as lightening. Nexus is really more geared to a tech person who likes to customize everything. I like choices that Iphone does not give, but I still need help and Moto gives me that. I was in the store for hours and talked to several representatives as well as doing my research. Both are great phones and it becomes personal. To me the Nexus felt cheap..it is not, but it did not feel right to me. So I went with the Maxx and I have been loving it.

Reaction score
Really thick? I don't agree (coming from the Droid Bionic). Glued? Well, yes the back is glued on and yes, you can't just pull the battery. At first I was worried about that. But I've had my Maxx for a few weeks now. I am rooted with Motofail_windows(1). I have gone through my first OTA. I am SqLite hacked. And I have it backed up with OTA. Voodoo. Guess what?! Never failed once! So, what's the issue with the glued on back?

Oh, btw, it's a 4.3" screen.

Yes, the Nexus has a higher ppi (316??) and a bigger screen. But why did Sammy install a Pen Tile Super Amoled screen rather then the Super Amoled PLUS? And why did they use a 5 megapixel camera? And above all, why'd the use a plastic frame?

Motorola Maxx may be glued but it uses metal in the subframe. And hence it doesn't creek as you handle the device nor does the thing come apart like a Dagwood sandwhich when you drop it (as does the Nexus).

So as mentioned in an earlier post, the moto has better hardware and the Nexus has a superior o/s. With Launcher Pro, you really don't see Motoblur.

If your phone sits on a desk in your cubicle all day, then the plastic build is fine. And ICS is the icing on the cake.

If you are out and about and are at increased risk of dropping the device, the glued moto may be a better choice (btw, screws are used throughout the subframe and they are machined shanks that screw into the moto's chasis).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Uhhh, hate to break it to you. But Moto uses Pentile screens too. My DX2 and Hionic were obvious. But my GNex, you can hardly tell. I'm sure it's the same way with the Maxx. But not sure, though, because I don't own one. And I won't until Moto pulls their heads out of their arses again. And keeps them out.

Irony. It's what's for dinner.

Androidatic

Reaction score
The razr is just a slightly better bionic. Moto UI sucks. The screen resolution is outdated. I mean cmom the iPhone 4 still has better ppi and it came out over a year ago. Galaxy nexus is on a totally different level. It actually feels like a current phone. Just my 2 cents...

Please tell me what sucks about the UI. Please be specific about what you dislike of Blur.

I compared the Razr and Nexus side-by-side and there isn't much of a difference. Certainly not enough to give up signal strength and quality.

The Nexus is great marketing, just like the iPhone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

alboboy10

Reaction score
Please tell me what sucks about the UI. Please be specific about what you dislike of Blur.

I compared the Razr and Nexus side-by-side and there isn't much of a difference. Certainly not enough to give up signal strength and quality.

The Nexus is great marketing, just like the iPhone.

There is no marketing on the nexus what are you talking about? Unlike the razr which I see on a commercial every other second. "This device is too powerful to fall in the wrong hands (dramatic music)"

Signal strength? Right. That's why a lot of people are complaining about signal and some that switched say that the nexus has better signal.

I personally dislike everything about blur. I even hated the razr screen. It doesn't look serious in comparison to the nexus screen.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I agree very little marketing on nexus compared to razr.

I personally think blur has poor theme imaging. Purplish blacks...awful keyboard appearance. Pretty ugly. There is minimal gradient coloring and mostly just flat 2d colors. I'm not talking about apps I'm talking about framework and blur. Its not the display that gives the impression of colors....its the actual color choice of images in the UI.

People say the nex display is gray....ha...its not...the IMAGES are gray. I'm talking hex colors here

Volume progress bars...dialog backgrounds etc...all horrid.

Ics on the other hand ...nice! Complementary colors...good gradients.. proper antialias (spelling). The UI has a better appearance in my opinion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mcsoul

Reaction score
I'm all for you Nexus guys enjoying your choice and I promise I will not go to your forums and bash it.
Maybe RAZR people just have more class? :blink:

ThirtyftFL

Reaction score
Let's see let's compare a ph that had to be upgraded to a larger battery because people were complaining from start to finish razor would be dead in 5 hrs. After all why would Motorola make the same ph with a bigger battery.

Maybe you people need to get your specs correct, nexus is the largest display of any ph to this day! Get it right! Do your homework. Razor mazz, come on now! Yeah I wanna buy a bulky ph that weighs a ton.

There is no way anyone can get 12 hrs off a stock razor! Stop lying! Tiny little battery!

The Dell Streak had a 5" screen long before the Galaxy Nexus was out.

Androidatic

Reaction score
I'm all for you Nexus guys enjoying your choice and I promise I will not go to your forums and bash it.

Exactly. This goes on a lot.

Personally, I love everything about the Razr. Compared the Razr, Rezound and Nexus when they were all released.

I'm really glad Moto added Blur. It's different enough from plain Jane vanilla, which I think is awful, but that's just me.

The coloring of Blur is just right. The little additions are a perfect compliment to Android.

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
I agree CERTAIN Nexus owners seem to be on a high horse. Me, I got offered any phone played with the razor wasnt a fan got to the nexus an fell in like with it. End of the day its what you want. Ever since these phones came out the forum seems to have split.

IDroid4s

Reaction score
I take it you're posting from your extensive experience with both devices, like many in this thread have been? Sliced from my RAZR

Yes I have owned the razr it was a good phone but I wasn't 100% satisfied. It was just like the bionic which I also owned. I now have the nexus and I can say I love it.

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
Though to be fair, same could be said to CERTIAN Razr owners...

But can't we get back to what this forum is all about....bashing the iPhone because we don't have one? :p

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I can honestly say I have never desired the iPhone. Ever. If I got one for free I would sell it or give it away.

alboboy10

Reaction score

I only responded cause of the marketing comment. Made me laugh. How many commercials have you seen from Motorola about the bionic, razr, Max, all the D's...I'll tell you. A lot.

Nexus never advertises their phones. I've never seen a REAL commercial dedicated to nexus.

So as far as saying that marketing for the nexus is on par with the iPhone...all I have to say is LOL. Motorola needs to slow down with their commercials in my opinion. Probably why they didn't make any profits last quarter. Cause of all the commercials and lack of sales.